D&D 5E In Defense of the Lore Wizard

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Lore Master could actually produce a really cool alt-Necromancer, if one wanted it: not necc. an undead-raiser, but someone whose spells rot the flesh of all within a 30' sphere (Fireball with Spell Secrets), or which fire bone fragments into their victims (Magic Missile with Alchemical Casting and Spell Secrets).

Every damage spell becomes necrotic.

Could do, although if a player came to me with that concept I'd probably just let them have alternate versions of damage spells that they can prepare. Burning hands to necrotic vapours; fireball to death orb, etc.

Dualazi

First Post
Lore Master could actually produce a really cool alt-Necromancer, if one wanted it: not necc. an undead-raiser, but someone whose spells rot the flesh of all within a 30' sphere (Fireball with Spell Secrets), or which fire bone fragments into their victims (Magic Missile with Alchemical Casting and Spell Secrets).

Every damage spell becomes necrotic.

This is one of the many problems with the loremaster though, if you simply refluffed those spells on an actual necromancer, then they run the risk of being handicapped when fighting creatures resistant to necrotic. The loremaster just switches to lightning or radiant and carries on.

machineelf

Explorer
This is one of the many problems with the loremaster though, if you simply refluffed those spells on an actual necromancer, then they run the risk of being handicapped when fighting creatures resistant to necrotic. The loremaster just switches to lightning or radiant and carries on.

Problem? I see no problem.

My main litmus test is why would I NOT play this subclass? It's versatility and power outshine all the other wizard subclasses by far. They're smarter, go faster and have way more spell options. I like the idea but it absolutely reeks of power creep and that's a rabbit hole I think we want to stay away from in 5e. Take a couple of ideas from this class and make sure they play nice with the other subclasses and I'm happy.

smbakeresq

Explorer
I started using one of these at 6th level, its ok. The replacing of the save once per rest is powerful, but you can still blow it. But compared to Portent it isn't, and I have always been found of benign transposition from the conjuration school.

The biggest issue I have with the class is when, as DM, you use it against the players as the BBEG. A loremaster BBEG basically will know every party strength and weakness. I haven't yet, but I can imagine some will be sour. The feeblemind cast against the PC wizard who dumped STR can cause some table problems.

smbakeresq

Explorer
As far as the energy substitution I would make the player pick one at every level where they get no other feature, starting when you get the feature. This way as they level up they get a new option, and it reflects increased learning as opposed to getting them all at once.

The 1 mile range is also ridiculous. Just absurd. How would you even get line of sight from that distance, as most spells require? While the cost is greater (1 sorcery point versus a 2nd level slot = 3 sorcery points), the order of magnitude between doubling spell range (generally anywhere between 30' - 240') and 1 mile is HUGE.

Spyglass. 1,000 gp, 1 lb. (PHB chapter 5)

B-)

Remove ads