In defiance of Dragons--Homebrew 4E campaign starting up

renau1g

First Post
Kriv was only delivered by the cleric (not sure if that's true D&D mythos), but placed in another family for raising. It actually might make sense that they take in "false" races, and try to "rehabilitate" them.

Halford

First Post
Thanks for the feedback Redclaw. I wanted to include a Dwarf Cleric in part because I am interested in seeing how one of the classic archtypes translates into 4th edition.

Let me think on it, I may come up with a background that has him gowing up in Evenfall or another character entirely.

Redclaw

First Post
renau1g said:
Kriv was only delivered by the cleric (not sure if that's true D&D mythos), but placed in another family for raising. It actually might make sense that they take in "false" races, and try to "rehabilitate" them.
If I remember some of the preview fluff correctly, dragonborn are actually hatched rather than born. ;)

pathfinderq1

First Post
Since it looks like I've gotten a bit run-over in the stampede to Dragon-born, I'm willing to move the initial concept to a dwarven fighter, still focusing on a two-handed weapon build (probably halberd). Character fluff would be slightly altered: the only son of hard-working craft-folk, Osric grew up wanting a little bit more excitement. Most of the townguard, however, were humans, and they didn't really want a dwarf in their company. He grew a bit sullen and withdrawn, but kept up his training and practice- when he stepped in to protect a helpless apprentice, his toughness and combat skills were surprising to everyone but him... The gruff-but-good-hearted shtick remains in place.

As for the secondary concept, it wouldn't have to be someone from far out of town- that was mostly a hook to pair eladrin and ranger, which both have a wilderness feel to me. She could be the daughter of hunters or foresters who dwelt on the fringes of Evenfall, watching the creeping darkness at the edge of the outermost farm fields around town- not from the deep (or far-off) wilds.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Yeah, he doesn't have to be a member of a caravan. Perhaps a member of a family who leaved near the river(they were fisherman). They traded their bounty for other things they needed in town. The river without warning overflowed its borders one evening, and my character who slept in the loft area of their house, eyes open to the stars woke to the sound of splashing water and was stranded in their house until the water receded. Upon going downstairs, he found his family gone.

Once I know more of the fluff around the star pact I can fill in more.

Graf

Explorer
I guess since Redclaw said he wanted diverse then we should go diverse.

[sblock=Aside]
I know DnD is about mixed races and mixed classes, but generally speaking I think there is a lot of interesting stuff you can do by "fixing" one of the axis.
I.e. fixing all dwarves or all rogues.
(OK. In 4e fixing all of one class is pretty tough but...)

Personally I think a clan of Dragonborn all running around together could be tremendous fun. It easily explains the "why" of people hanging around together. Heck, you could all be "clutch brothers".[/sblock]

Zweischneid

First Post
Graf said:
[sblock=Aside]
I know DnD is about mixed races and mixed classes, but generally speaking I think there is a lot of interesting stuff you can do by "fixing" one of the axis.
I.e. fixing all dwarves or all rogues.
(OK. In 4e fixing all of one class is pretty tough but...)

Personally I think a clan of Dragonborn all running around together could be tremendous fun. It easily explains the "why" of people hanging around together. Heck, you could all be "clutch brothers".[/sblock]

That's a nice idea and one I've seen floating around elsewhere too. Could be tremendous fun and I've even been trying a hand at statting a black-scaled Dragonborn Rogue next to mainly playing around with the Warlord class since getting the books.

It's a somewhat different game though, than the one proposed!

The 'why' of people banding together in this game appeared to me as a common defiance of and opposition against an ubiquitous and oppressive regime (i.e. a 'Star Wars'/Rebellion kind of story).
The one you're propsing seems more of a band of good-hearted and heroic pariahs (X-men?) kind of story.

Last edited:

Remove ads