• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In defiance of Dragons--Homebrew 4E campaign starting up

Bialaska

First Post
Is there still room to make a character or is this game filled out? I could see a lot of submissions and noticed the game had much less openings.

Zurai

First Post
Recruitment is still open but today's the last day.

Redclaw, just FYI, I have a lot of background work to fill out for Immeral and I may not get to posting it tonight. Just a quick overview, I decided that the reason he's living in/near a human settlement is that he's "searching for the answer to myself" (as he puts it). Kind of a spiritual journey/walkabout. Something he's not quite sure of drew him to Evenfall and he's convinced that if he stays there long enough, he'll find what it is, and will be able to continue his journey.

Bialaska

First Post
Keira - Half-Elven Warlock

Keira, Half-Elf Warlock (Infernal pact)

Keira was born as the daughter of one of the employees in the inn within Evenfall. She was the result of a one-night union between her mother, a simple human, and her father, whose name she has never known, who was simple traveller passing through the city.

There was no doubt that she was a mistake and her mother took every opportunity to point this out. Fortunately the innkeeper was a far more accepting man and he showed her kindness where she got none from her mother, who was always too busy with the customers of the inn, quite often bringing the most attractive to her own personal chambers.

Keira grew up to be a quite attractive young woman, her elven heritage enhancing the beauty inherited from her mother. When the innkeeper died from old age, the new one did not really have the same liking for Keira. When he demanded that Keira's living expenses should be covered by Keira's mother, the child was kicked out, to survive on her own, afterall she was nothing but a burden.

10 years has passed since then and Keira has grown up to be quite a headstrong, at times stubborn girl. Of course 10 years of surviving on the street would probably harden everybody. You don't get caught stealing an apple more than once, knowing the consequences. Oh, she has had help, most often someone took notice of the young girl huddled in a corner somewhere, leaving just a bit of food or some pure water, but there were nights that she went to sleep hungry.

Call it young foolishness, but Keira did end out, one particular night that was harsher than others, signing off her soul to the forces beyond. In return she survived another day and she was strenghtened physically so she'd be able to survive the harshness of the world. In the years since then she has realized her pact with the infernal forces granted her not only the strength to pull through, but also imbued with her supernatural powers.

Keira has a dream of one day leaving Evenfall, to seek out another life. But like her other dreams they are just that, dreams. Beneath the hardened exterior is a wounded little girl who has given up hope for a better future.

Last edited:

Redclaw

First Post
Zurai, thanks for the update on Immeral. I wasn't too worried about your character development, but it's nice to have the confirmation. :cool:

Bialaska--thanks for the submission. I'm afraid the background you've laid out doesn't really fit the 800 person town of Evenfall. I don't picture a true prostitute surviving in town, although perhaps one of the women at the tavern might dabble. I also don't see a 6-year-old child being sold to anyone without the entire town getting up in arms. Besides, there aren't any noblemen in town. The closest thing is Norsten, and he's still just the town's speaker.

Kobold Stew--looking over Akara's story, I think I'd like to have you change up his 'owner'. Phillian is really more of a reclusive bumbler, rather than a sadistic slave owner. Norston or one of the other guardsmen might be a better fit. Possibly even Bertran Mason, the town constable. That could even be a good explanation, as Akara might have wound up in Mason's 'jail' once or twice for petty theft.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Redclaw said:
Kobold Stew--looking over Akara's story, I think I'd like to have you change up his 'owner'. Phillian is really more of a reclusive bumbler, rather than a sadistic slave owner. Norston or one of the other guardsmen might be a better fit. Possibly even Bertran Mason, the town constable. That could even be a good explanation, as Akara might have wound up in Mason's 'jail' once or twice for petty theft.

That sounds good--either Norston or Mason would work as well. The idea was someone who wouldn't have rights in a town that itself was oppressed, under the rule of another (the dragon); in a community that small, how would he be treated, when he can be a scapegoat for any and all?

My sense is that if he has been arrested (for, let's say, brawling in public) he's not been the one who started it, but he has certainly been there. Akara might not even know his relationship to the cell and his jailor -- whether he's under arrest or not -- but it's a safe place to sleep each night, even if it is behind bars, and it has been for many years now.

Graf

Explorer
I does look a bit like we could populate an entire town with just the pc submissions. Nice to see people getting excited.

For the record it wasn't my intent to make Phillian a bumbler, I yhink I presumed a degree of competence on his part (though that works too in its own way).

renau1g

First Post
Redclaw said:

Speaking of which, Renau1g--Since I decided not to look at multiple submissions earlier, I feel like staying consistent. Which of the two concepts would you be more interested in playing at this point. I'd rather keep it even and fair so everyone gets one proposal as I get to the point of considering.

I figured as much, it's only fair. I will choose Corbin as my submission... I've decided the iconic character is the best way to kick off a new edition, as much as i'd like to try the new concepts out. Besides my first character in both other editions (2 & 3e) was a halfling thief & rogue respectively so best to continue that thread ;)

dekarguy

Explorer
Hi, I'd like to register my interest for an Eladrin Warlock (Fey Pact), I'm working on the backstory right now, but wanted to post before it turned Sunday

dekarguy

Explorer
Here we go
Aliera - Eladrin Warlock (Fey Pact)

[sblock=Background]Aliera has lived her entire life in Evenfall. Her mother Natalia was a revered herbalist and father Valen built himself a name as the town handyman. Aliera learned much from her parents as she was growing up and intended on assuming her mother's trade. This all changed on the night of her 15th birthday. It had been an unusually harsh winter her parents had been making daily house calls for the health and maintenance of Evenfall. While Aliera waited for her parents to come home for her birthday celebration, a loud rumbling and a crash was heard through the town. Aliera's house had been leveled by an avalanche.

"You called to me," she heard as she was awakened by a water sprite. "Welcome to the Feywild," it spoke in a hushed tone. During the following moons, Aliera came to know Yati, and developed a deep reverence and friendship the water sprite. Yati taught her much about the Feywild she had only heard fairy tales of from her father. In early spring, Yati announced, "It is time for you to go, we will meet again."

As Aliera exited the Feywild, she arrived at a shrine in what used to be her backyard. "Natalia, Valen, and their fair daughter, Aliera, may they rest in peace." As she stood there, mouth agape, tears began to flow. She collapsed in front of the shrine and wept until a soft hand brushed her shoulder. "It is good to see you are alive, it was a sad day in Evenfall the day of the avalanche. As it started your parents rushed in to find you, they cared very deeply for you. You have quite the legacy to uphold."

When Aliera finally turned around, not a soul was to be seen. During the hubbub of her return, she learned that her parents died swiftly in the avalanche. With what was left remaining of her parent's wealth, she had a small hut rebuilt near her parent's shrine and continued assisting the village with what she had learned in herbalism. She also spent much more time with Yati, learning more of the Feywild and providing a haven to practice her bond without being bound by Evenfall's restrictions with magic.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Appearance and Personality]Aliera is rarely seen in anything other than her forest green robes. Occasionally a look into her violet eyes can belay sorrow even in her cheery demeanor. Along with her fair completion, she keeps her waist long pale golden hair pristine and straight. Standing at 5'7", Aliera's gold and green is occasionally outlined by a slight aura of ocean blue. Aliera is a cheery and helpful person. Though she is well known throughout Evenfall due to the death of her parents, she never mentions it and always works on her own merits instead of her parent's reputation.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads