In search of Incorporeality.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I have a 12th-level paladin (that I play, not DM) who picked up Leadership as his 12th-level feat. Currently I and my DM are working out exactly what sort of cohort he'll have. The biggest issue is that the party is rather large (7 PCs, 2 Animal Companions, 1 Special Mount) and space can be a big issue.

So I'm looking for a way to have a cohort that doesn't take up physical space. So far we've come up with:

* An intelligent item cohort.
* A ghost cohort (incorporeal).

So I'm asking the community here: can you think of any other ways to create a character in D&D that doesn't take up physical space? (Please list any obscure sources.)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
interwyrm said:
One of those positive energy spirits that help a person in their battle prowess... what are they called?
Glimmerskin. I actually looked it up after the cohort concept came up. But it's a whopping +15 LA. :confused:

Jack Simth

First Post
Well, there's the Unbodied in the psionics section of the SRD; 4 d8 hit dice, LA +4, manifests as a Psion 4 (telepath), advances by character class, and has any Psion (telepath) levels it picks up stack with it's racial Psion (telepath) levels. It's also got some useful at will Su abilities.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I have this mental image of a cohort trapped by a permanent Magic Jar spell. He resides in a gem most of the time, but if he needs to say or do something, he needs to take over a handy body. Might be one of the PCs, might not be...

-Hyp.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Well, there's the Vivacious template, which turns the creature into a positive energy-spewing incorporeal thing for a whopping +5 LA. This is found in the Planar Handbook, and is the first time I've gotten use out of the darn thing.

Perhaps a lantern archon? Get an exceptional one, slap some class levels on its max hit dice, and go for it? There's no LA listed, which one could interpret as a warning that it's not actually useful, but maybe you can convince the DM that just means it has a +0. The Tiny eladrin and guardinal from BoED are probably actually more useful as cohorts, but you may have issues with the alignments.

In our al Qadim game, my character has a kukri with a ghostly rogue lurking inside. The DM is treating it as a variant of an intelligent weapon, but it's surprisingly handy. Achmed (the ghost inside) is our party's primary scout, and has made great use out of Libris Mortis material. I don't have much details on how it works (as, really, I doubt the DM does, either), but he's been letting me advance him for paying 1/10 the XP cost to level. Also, he can only go 60' from the kukri, but with Ghostly Grasp, he can carry it if necessary. :)

Brad

FireLance

Legend
How about the chanelling rules from the Book of Exalted Deeds? At 12th level, you can only get a lantern archon cohort, but you get to use its supernatural and spell-like abilities, so you get its aura of menace, magic circle against evil, teleport, tongues, and aid, detect evil and continual flame at will.

EDIT: A lantern archon is listed as ECL 5 in the Book of Exalted Deeds.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
FireLance said:
How about the chanelling rules from the Book of Exalted Deeds? At 12th level, you can only get a lantern archon cohort, but you get to use its supernatural and spell-like abilities, so you get its aura of menace, magic circle against evil, teleport, tongues, and aid, detect evil and continual flame at will.

EDIT: A lantern archon is listed as ECL 5 in the Book of Exalted Deeds.
Wow, this is a fantastic alternate rule. I really, really like it. I'm a bit unhappy about the idea of taking an ECL 5 cohort instead of an ECL 10 cohort, though. And the lantern archon doesn't really have the stats for cleric class levels (the class I was shooting for). Hrm... This requires more consideration. I'm wondering if there isn't an archon out there closer to ECL 10. Or perhaps I could use the Savage Species rules for creating monster class progressions to pick up, say, a 10th-level Astral Deva cohort, and channel her...

Edit: A Trumpet Archon would actually be perfect. It has the teleport ability of the Archon (which Angels don't seem to have, strangely,) and the spellcasting abilities of a cleric. And it's ECL 20, so it should be possible to make it into a monster class, to take a "young" archon as a level-appropriate cohort. Though that's going to be some work. At least they've done the Astral Deva, so that provides some direction on how to do it.
Hypersmurf said:
I have this mental image of a cohort trapped by a permanent Magic Jar spell. He resides in a gem most of the time, but if he needs to say or do something, he needs to take over a handy body. Might be one of the PCs, might not be...
This is a really cool idea too. Originally I had thought of something similar with the ghost. It could possess my PC with its Malevolence ability when it wanted to cast a spell that required touch (which can't be performed incorporeally). But the +5 LA really kills the ghost idea. The magic jar spirit, though, would let me pick up a 10th-level cleric...

Last edited:

Remove ads