Incorrect number of Doctors?

Troughten to Perwtree was forced and may not count, we didn't see the one from the movie into ecclesion, and then there is the watcher... so yea there are oppertuinities to mess with the numbers... plus master is promised more, so it is possible to do so, and now that there is only 1 time lord he can give himself them...

PigKnight

First Post
While I do not feel strongly either way on this, I'm pretty sure the Doctor will never die. Unless the rabid fans kill it off.

delericho

Legend
Well, Peter Cushing played the Doctor in a couple of non-canonical movies, but I suspect the BBC would like us all to forget about those.

There's the Valeyard, of course.

There could be any number of regenerations between McGann and Ecclestone.

Also, in "The Brain of Morbius", the Fourth Doctor is shown an image of his previous selves, including the three 'known' Doctors and several faces that hadn't been seen before. The suggestion there was that Hartnell was not really the First Doctor at all. However, this has later been explained away as being Morbius' previous incarnations, or being potential future incarnations, or... whatever the case, Moffat could now be 'unconfirming' it.

Oh, and going back to things they'd rather we forgot - there's always "Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death", with Rowan Atkinson, Richard E. Grant, Jim Broadbent, Hugh Grant, and Joanna Lumley as the Doctor.

Finally, though... I'm inclined not to read much into his comments. Steven Moffat has been known to be... unreliable at times.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I don't know why producers feel the need to lie to the fans to stir up interest. The truth is usually far more interesting.
Of course, they could go back to the tried-and-true method of just making good stories...

Remember, folks, 12 regenerations = 13 Doctors.

Lets not forget that the Doctor also absorbed all of River's remaining regens (at least 8 I think), so whos to say he cant use those? Really the possibilities are endless, endless I tell you!
That's how I'd handle it. He gained a few extra regenerations from her. She only regenerated twice that we saw, but there was likely a third time in-between the '60s and the '90s when Amy and Rory were young. So there might be 9 Riverations left (8 if one was consumed to save his life). Using River's regens might be a fun excuse to have him regenerate into a woman after Capaldi.

I don't know why producers feel the need to lie to the fans to stir up interest. The truth is usually far more interesting.
Of course, they could go back to the tried-and-true method of just making good stories...

Remember, folks, 12 regenerations = 13 Doctors.
Right.
But there's the possibility John Hurt is a previously unknown regeneration between the 8th and 9th Doctors, so Capaldi would be the 13th and final version. Excluding the Valeyard.
(I really hope Moffat stays on as writer for Hurt's run. Or is replaced by another Whovian scholar that will actually do something with the Valeyard plot hook. Even if it's mostly off camera. )

Remove ads