Most iconic multipurpose tool

Leatherman

First, not to single you out at all, I think there's a lot of disagreement in this thread whether we're talking about sci-fi/fantasy tools or real tools.

Second, to single you out, in my experience the Leatherman is the most overrated tool there is. I've tried multiple models of them over multiple years, and I always end up with the conclusion: You're better off with a tiny toolkit, or a standard pocket knife. I really really want to like a Leatherman (or other branded variant) because they seem so useful in theory, but in practice they just not practical. It's sub-par tools in a package that just isn't as convenient as it wants to be. FWIW, what I have fallen back to for the last couple years is a small pocket sized toolkit that travels easily when needed, and a Gerber Shard on my keychain (that does 95% of what you actually use a Leatherman for).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
First, not to single you out at all, I think there's a lot of disagreement in this thread whether we're talking about sci-fi/fantasy tools or real tools.

Second, to single you out, in my experience the Leatherman is the most overrated tool there is. I've tried multiple models of them over multiple years, and I always end up with the conclusion: You're better off with a tiny toolkit, or a standard pocket knife. I really really want to like a Leatherman (or other branded variant) because they seem so useful in theory, but in practice they just not practical. It's sub-par tools in a package that just isn't as convenient as it wants to be. FWIW, what I have fallen back to for the last couple years is a small pocket sized toolkit that travels easily when needed, and a Gerber Shard on my keychain (that does 95% of what you actually use a Leatherman for).
Gerber is garbage!

Remove ads