Most iconic multipurpose tool

R_J_K75

Legend
Second, to single you out, in my experience the Leatherman is the most overrated tool there is. I've tried multiple models of them over multiple years, and I always end up with the conclusion: You're better off with a tiny toolkit, or a standard pocket knife. I really really want to like a Leatherman (or other branded variant) because they seem so useful in theory, but in practice they just not practical. It's sub-par tools in a package that just isn't as convenient as it wants to be. FWIW, what I have fallen back to for the last couple years is a small pocket sized toolkit that travels easily when needed, and a Gerber Shard on my keychain (that does 95% of what you actually use a Leatherman for).
Everyone has their opinion, and mine is that for a multipurpose tool the Leatherman is a compact self-contained tool, and I can't think of one instance that I used one that it didn't work.
I have an original Leatherman and while it’s never been my tool of choice it has gotten me out of a situation or a few.
Same here.

Ryujin

Legend
I have an original Leatherman and while it’s never been my tool of choice it has gotten me out of a situation or a few.
Same. The best tool is the one that you have, though I tend to stick to Gerbers. (I only have this pic because I was showing someone the wet formed pouch that I made for it.)

20231124_153649.jpg

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Yeap. Funny story I loved my original leathermen. I was overseas and forgot it in my carry on bag when I should have moved it to my checked bag. So, I lost it :( After telling this story repeatedly, folks must have thought I was gift shopping when I was really trying to PSA folks about losing their precious leathermens. So, now I have one in my basement workspace, the main level, the garage, and my truck :)

Ryujin

Legend
Gerber is garbage!
A little story: Many years ago I had bought a Leatherman, to keep on my motorcycle, just prior to being sent off to Montreal by my employer to check out some computers that a school bought from us. They were failing in a strange way that we hadn't experienced before. I has been working in Ottawa at the time so was the closest we had, as we were based in Toronto. I didn't have any other tools with me so I took out the Leatherman, as soon as I got into the computer lab, and proceeded to take one of the systems apart. The school's tech grabbed the tool and started to take apart another computer, without asking, and...

Immediately.

Bent.

The.

Phillips.

Driver.

payn

A little story: Many years ago I had bought a Leatherman, to keep on my motorcycle, just prior to being sent off to Montreal by my employer to check out some computers that a school bought from us. They were failing in a strange way that we hadn't experienced before. I has been working in Ottawa at the time so was the closest we had, as we were based in Toronto. I didn't have any other tools with me so I took out the Leatherman, as soon as I got into the computer lab, and proceeded to take one of the systems apart. The school's tech grabbed the tool and started to take apart another computer, without asking, and...

Immediately.

Bent.

The.

Phillips.

Driver.
I dont really hate Gerbers but everyone thinks I do. There was a time a friend who exclaimed to everyone that they had a leathermen like mine. I looked at it was like, "that aint a leathermen, its a Gerber" I didnt mean for it to sound so judgmental but it came out that way. Folks laugh about there being only one multitool for Payn to this day. It became ever more funny when at a cabin trip we were hanging out in the yard and my buddy was trying to fix some fencing and the blade snapped off. He immediately looked in my direction and said that I had a "disappointed father look like Lester Freamon from The Wire."
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I dont really hate Gerbers but everyone thinks I do. There was a time a friend who exclaimed to everyone that they had a leathermen like mine. I looked at it was like, "that aint a leathermen, its a Gerber" I didnt mean for it to sound so judgmental but it came out that way. Folks laugh about there being only one multitool for Payn to this day. It became ever more funny when at a cabin trip we were hanging out in the yard and my buddy was trying to fix some fencing and the blade snapped off. He immediately looked in my direction and said that I had a "disappointed father look like Lester Freamon from The Wire."
giphy.gif
I have RBF at the best of times, so I really wonder what that tech saw when he messed up my Leatherman.

payn

Unfortunately you have to be careful with tools not to press them beyond their material quality.

My take-away was that you have to be careful that idiots don't get ahold of your tools.
At the time we were way too drunk and stoned to be working on the fence and said as much. The “told you so” added to the Lester Freamon routine.

Remove ads