• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Infinite Crisis #1

Particle_Man

Explorer
If they are going to end up with the heroes being heroic again (which I applaud), how will they write the more "scummy" villains? (spoiler warning)
I mean, the whole mind-wiping thing was a result of Dr. Light raping the Elongated Man's wife.
(end spoiler warning)

I predict that the new version of the universe will have a general "mind-wipe" so that no one (especially villains) know the secret identity of the heroes, and thus cannot get at their loved ones. The alternative is that the villains don't ever "make it personal" (or if they ever try, they fail), or else we will be back at the same dilemma (stay heroic no matter what, and expect the pain (on the one hand) or be a bit less than fully heroic and more pragmatic (on the other hand)).

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Filby said:
I haven't read any of the four Countdown miniseries; I've gotten a good idea of the general events skimming the Internet, but there are still a few things I don't understand, like...

There's two Luthors? Say what? Somebody tell me exactly what happened at the end of Villains United, please?

Well...

[sblock]That's about all anyone knows about it at the moment. One Luthor was behind the formation of the new Society of Supervillains, the other was behind the formation of their opposition, the Secret Six. At the end of VU #6, we learned that there were two of them. One is apparently connected to/aware of the Pre-Crisis Multiverse, the other is apparently the Luthor of Post-Crisis Earth. Or perhaps they both are both. Or something.

In any case, as long as you know there are two Luthors- well, now three, since Alexander Luthor has returned along with Superman and Superboy- you know as much as anyone else. All should be ironed out/explained in the course of the rest of Infinite Crisis.[/sblock]

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
The Post-Crisis Business Man Cancer Clone President That Went Mad Luthor is
Mockingbird, the Luthor that's against the Society. The Luthor that's behind
the Society is an Alternate Earth version, tough we don't still know where he's
from exacly (presumably a pre-crisis version).

Filby

First Post
...okay, that answers a few questions and raises quite a few more. I'm content to wait and find out what's what.

I wouldn't count Alexander Luthor -- he's the son of the late Earth-3 Luthor, so he's not an iteration of the "true" Lex Luthor (or whatever). But then we've also got the Antimatter Universe Alexander Luthor, who is currently locked up by the Crime Syndicate, so I guess that's three Luthors after all.

Argh -- too many Luthors!

The Serge

First Post
I just hope they kill off the new Supergirl (which I don't expect to happen).

Anyone notice the creepy image of The Spectre looming over the Bat-Signal?

Hemlock Stones

First Post
Infinite Crisis Has Its Disturbing Moments

GREETINGS!

I have read the Infinite Crisis several times. I see some things in the Infinite Crisis being rather disturbing and malevolent. Primarily, Bizzaro Superman beating the Human Bomb to a bloody pulp. I found that wrong. I do realize that everything got escalated when Wonder Woman kills a villain on world wide television. I appreciate bringing a dark edge to comic books. Its safe to say that most of the readers of comic books are not children.

Is this going to be another correction to the DC Universe? To what end? Batman says in one of the panels that the last time Superman brought all the heroes together was when Superman had died. Is Superman going to die a again gloriously saving the universe?

The Hal Jordan Green Lantern returning has made me buy comics again. Is the intention to shelve all the lackluster and less popular heroes again for a while and move others to the lime light? Why not improve the story arcs instead?

Yes I will continue to read the Infinite Crisis story line books. I suspect that it will be disappointing. Obviously one of the things that the story intends to do is energize people and get them geeked up to see the new Superman movie when it debuts.

Alan :cool:

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Hemlock Stones said:
I have read the Infinite Crisis several times. I see some things in the Infinite Crisis being rather disturbing and malevolent. Primarily, Bizzaro Superman beating the Human Bomb to a bloody pulp. I found that wrong. I do realize that everything got escalated when Wonder Woman kills a villain on world wide television. I appreciate bringing a dark edge to comic books. Its safe to say that most of the readers of comic books are not children.

Actually, one of the driving forces behind IC, from what its developers have said, is to get DC comics away from all of the grim and gritty that has sort of spilled into them in the past several years. As they point out, it hasn't been any conscious effort to make them that way, but with so many writers and so many trends and such, it just has kind of gotten to that point, and they want things to be more heroic again.

Bearing that goal in mind, reread the issue, and you might notice that theme in it. Certainly, it is what drives the Golden Age Superman and the others to come back to the DC universe at the very end. Even the first two panels- "Why are we here?" "... they've forgotten, haven't they?"

So, yes, the first issue is very dark, and the next couple may be as well, but that's sort of the point. It's always darkest before the dawn. :)

Remove ads