• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inherent bonuses and non-weapon attacks

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
If using the rule about inherent bonuses, do attacks that don't have the weapon or implement keyword, like bull rush, dragonborn's breath or drow's darkfire, also receive the bonuses?

hipnotode

First Post
i just quickmade a level5 dragonborn on the offline CB, without inherent bonuses dragonbreath was +9, with it was +10, so without quoting books or anything to back this up, id say yes.

Aulirophile

First Post
RAW, yes. Causes some minor issues with things that have built-in scaling. Just remove the scaling. So DB no longer gets 2/4/6 inherently, but does get Inherent bonuses. Also allowing Expertise to actually apply helps (unless the thing is already scaling at 3/6/9, then just reduce it to 1/2/3).

If something doesn't scale at all then you're fine.

I think I don´t have to say that I don´t like the implementation of inherent bonuses...

one ruling i would apply: on non weapon attacks, you get a bonus equal to the inherent bonus, if you describe your action plausible... which is cool, because it scales as player become more experienced!

A player of mine is using Duelist Prowess, a daily rogue power, which gives an attack vs Ref and is not a weapon attack. It's also not an implement attack (given the flavor, that makes sense).

We're using inherent bonuses. He uses the character builder, so it probably isn't giving the bonus.

What I'd like to know is... why does that power not have a weapon bonus? (I had previously nerfed it to only attack AC rather than Reflex, but now I think it should keep the weapon bonus.)

Aulirophile

First Post
A player of mine is using Duelist Prowess, a daily rogue power, which gives an attack vs Ref and is not a weapon attack. It's also not an implement attack (given the flavor, that makes sense).

We're using inherent bonuses. He uses the character builder, so it probably isn't giving the bonus.

What I'd like to know is... why does that power not have a weapon bonus? (I had previously nerfed it to only attack AC rather than Reflex, but now I think it should keep the weapon bonus.)
Um, Duelist's Prowess is a weapon attack, it has the weapon keyword. The stance doesn't, but if you go the source material the attack has the weapon keyword. In the CB/Compendium it is formatted as two separate powers, which is not how it is, so that might be the issue.

Lord Ernie

First Post
Um, Duelist's Prowess is a weapon attack, it has the weapon keyword. The stance doesn't, but if you go the source material the attack has the weapon keyword. In the CB/Compendium it is formatted as two separate powers, which is not how it is, so that might be the issue.
Incorrect. Duelist's Prowess has not received any official update, and thus retains its printed wording: the at-will power lacks the weapon keyword.

However, a Compendium/CB update from a while ago saw it corrected, listing it as a bug. Whether this means it will be fixed in the next errata is the question, but at least by RAW (if not by Character Builder), it still doesn't have the Weapon Keyword. That is not to say I wouldn't houserule that immediately.

Aulirophile

First Post
Incorrect. Duelist's Prowess has not received any official update, and thus retains its printed wording: the at-will power lacks the weapon keyword.

However, a Compendium/CB update from a while ago saw it corrected, listing it as a bug. Whether this means it will be fixed in the next errata is the question, but at least by RAW (if not by Character Builder), it still doesn't have the Weapon Keyword. That is not to say I wouldn't houserule that immediately.
Um.. no. The source material has it with the weapon keyword. Source material is always correct. The CB/Compendium is not a rules source.

kaomera

Explorer
Um.. no. The source material has it with the weapon keyword. Source material is always correct. The CB/Compendium is not a rules source.
I just re-downloaded both Dragon 381 and the individual article, and while the power has the range "melee weapon" it's missing a title / class / level line and a keyword line. The compendium includes those lines, and while specific errata would be nice since it's simply replacing omitted text that is necessary to actually use the power, in this case I would treat it as a rules source.

Aulirophile

First Post
I just re-downloaded both Dragon 381 and the individual article, and while the power has the range "melee weapon" it's missing a title / class / level line and a keyword line. The compendium includes those lines, and while specific errata would be nice since it's simply replacing omitted text that is necessary to actually use the power, in this case I would treat it as a rules source.
Again, no. The thing you're not understanding is this is not two powers. It is one power, just like Warden forms, that WotC formated as two in the CB/Compendium (which, again, is not a rules source). The actual power has Rogue Daily Attack 1 (so.. it has a level, and a class, and a title). There is zero confusion about this if you've actually read "How to Read a Power" in the RC/PHB/etc.

Remove ads