• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Insight's D&DXP Blog

LEHaskell

First Post
Insight said:
You no longer die at -10 HP. Instead of dying at -10, you die at - (CON score) (I think). In any event, when you are down and at negatives, you get a save to see if you die. Roll a d20. If you roll 1-9, you gain a Death Token. Three of these are you're worm food. If you roll 11-19, nothing happens. if you roll 20+ (again, sometimes you gain a bonus to this saving throw), you get to use a healing surge (see the quick start rules for this; I'm not going to rehash the stuff there).

So, there are two ways to die: get to negative (CON score) or gain 3 Death Tokens.

Great stuff, Insight! Thanks.

Question: how long do you keep the Death Tokens? Do they disappear once you're back above 0 hp, after a rest or after an extended rest? Or is there some other effect that we haven't yet heard of?

Sir Brennen

Legend
Knight Otu said:
As an addendum to this, WotC_Miko has confirmed that this was done for simplicity in the pregens only. Warlocks and Wizards don't seem to need implements, but get unnamed drawbacks without them.
Just a nitpick... Miko says you get benefits for having implements, which is not the same as drawbacks for not having them.

Insight

Adventurer
Knight Otu said:
WotC has posted the character sheets online already. I think it'll be sufficient to relate your experiences and thoughts on the characters. :)

WHEW OK thanks that'll save some time.

Insight

Adventurer
MarauderX said:
There are two Magic Item lists; is this list the first or the second? I believe there were 6 items on each of two sheets.

The first one I posted was Magic Item List #1. I have since acquired Magic Item List #2, which I'll post in place of the Paladin. See above.

And I have some new tidbits after today's games.

Insight

Adventurer
LEHaskell said:
Great stuff, Insight! Thanks.

Question: how long do you keep the Death Tokens? Do they disappear once you're back above 0 hp, after a rest or after an extended rest? Or is there some other effect that we haven't yet heard of?

They are gone as soon as you are healed. From what I have seen, any sort of healing surge removes all of them. Note that a healing surge gives you HP starting at 0, so there's no need to calculate from your current negatives.

There's a dispute in terms of how far negative you can go before you die. I heard from some GMs - (CON score) and some - (Bloodied Threshold). So, I'm afraid I can't definitively answer that one.

Insight

Adventurer
D&DXP REWARDS

Those of you who aren't at the show should know that there's a nice reward for doing enough dungeon delves. For gaining 15 tokens (you get between 2 and 5 tokens for a delve), you get a card that allows you to play a nonstandard race in LFR (Living Forgotten Realms). This implies that you can only play the standard PHB races in LFR at the start of the campaign.

The options were: Gnome, Orc, and Shadar-Kai (sp?). I chose the Orc. Now I have to wait and see when Barbarian comes out!

EDIT: I assume these rewards will be available at the Gen Con delves as well.

Bandreus

First Post
Insight said:
There's a dispute in terms of how far negative you can go before you die. I heard from some GMs - (CON score) and some - (Bloodied Threshold). So, I'm afraid I can't definitively answer that one.

from Dragon's Death and Dying Article said:
Characters still use a negative hit point threshold to determine when they move from “unconscious and dying” to “all-the-way-dead,” but now that threshold scales with their level (or more specifically, with their hit point total). A character with 30 hit points (such as a low-level cleric) dies when he reaches -15 hit points, while the 15th-level fighter with 120 hp isn’t killed until he’s reduced to -60 hit points.

you can read the full article here

I guess DM are likely to be a bit confused about the rules, sinnce this could be first time with 4E for them too (well, at least some of them).

BTW thanks for the whole lot of info Insight ^_^

Insight

Adventurer
I have a few more notes to post, and the rest of my character commentaries, but not tonight. I have a long drive ahead of me tomorrow.

Fear not, I should have it all posted up soon!

FireLance

Legend
Insight said:
They are gone as soon as you are healed. From what I have seen, any sort of healing surge removes all of them. Note that a healing surge gives you HP starting at 0, so there's no need to calculate from your current negatives.

I was wondering if you could clear up another question I had about the death and dying rules: on a failed stabilization check, do you keep losing hit points, or did you just get a death token?

Remove ads