• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Insight's D&DXP Blog

VannATLC

First Post
Has that been confirmed?

I would prefer that heavy/medium armours gave penalities to Reflex saves.

Shields give Reflex Bonus, and AC, so Far, has been 10 + Reflex + Armour.

Where Reflex = Inherent Bonus + Level Bonus + Dex/Int bonus.

Insight

Adventurer
AZRogue said:
It's been confirmed that Int does modify AC. Dex is linked with Int, Strength is linked with Con, and Wisdom is linked with Charisma. You use the highest of these scores when determining certain things. Like AC.

Oh, and you get no modifiers at all applied to AC, from ability scores, when in Heavy Armor.

"Certain things"... I wonder what else those might modify.

Insight

Adventurer
jaelis said:
Insight, what did you think of the game? Was it fun? Was it still "dnd"?

It was definitely still D&D, and I've been playing D&D since 1st ed (~ 1983).

To me, what makes a game "D&D" is what you do, not how you do it. For example, the preview adventures were the same sort of things you'd do in 3rd ed, 2nd ed, 1st ed. No change there. The 'how' was obviously different, and that's the whole point of having a new rules edition.

I had a LOT more fun than I might have had in 3rd ed. The reason for this is the surgical removal of a lot of meaningless minutiae that tend to drag down a game's pace. A minutiaectomy, if you will. We were able to move things along very quickly, so much so that in one of our "delves", we got through 3 encounters in 30 minutes! Try doing that in 3rd ed.

AZRogue

First Post
Insight said:
It was definitely still D&D, and I've been playing D&D since 1st ed (~ 1983).

To me, what makes a game "D&D" is what you do, not how you do it. For example, the preview adventures were the same sort of things you'd do in 3rd ed, 2nd ed, 1st ed. No change there. The 'how' was obviously different, and that's the whole point of having a new rules edition.

I had a LOT more fun than I might have had in 3rd ed. The reason for this is the surgical removal of a lot of meaningless minutiae that tend to drag down a game's pace. A minutiaectomy, if you will. We were able to move things along very quickly, so much so that in one of our "delves", we got through 3 encounters in 30 minutes! Try doing that in 3rd ed.

Wow, that's pretty good. Nice to know. :)

As for what the "certain things" was in my post, I'm not sure. I couldn't remember if the pairing of ability scores affected more than just AC so included that just in case. It MAY be just AC, I just can't remember and am not sure where the original thread (might have been a News Item) is. So, that's all just me and my short term memory loss. :)

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Insight said:

Does that mean that Gurps, Rolemaster and Fantasy HERO are D&D as well?

Remove ads