• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inspired by PotC - Dead Man's Chest: Seaclaimed Creature template

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Shade said:
I wasn't sure if the template should be able to duplicate Mr. Jones entirely. What do you think?
I don't think so - for one thing, he's some sort of variant lich (no spellcasting, but he's got his heart in a box!). So some sort of undead is certainly in order. He might as well be unique.

Demiurge out.

Shade

Monster Junkie
demiurge1138 said:
I don't think so - for one thing, he's some sort of variant lich (no spellcasting, but he's got his heart in a box!). So some sort of undead is certainly in order. He might as well be unique.

He's unique, that's for sure. I'm not sure if I see him as undead in the D&D sense...more as an aberration or monstrous humanoid with a unique ability preventing death, perhaps? He definitely seems vulnerable to mind-affecting effects (what with his lovelorn nature) and he sleeps.

I'll start a "Creating Davy Jones" thread over in General to see what we can collectively come up with.

Last edited:

Olly

First Post
How about a few more random changes for the Seaclaimed template? Perhaps some original ones not seen in the movie? I don't know about you, but I'd quite like to be able to get a good deal of variety from this template.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Absolutely...the more the merrier!

I added a few more earlier today. I'll see if I can't come up with a few more.

Olly

First Post
How about something like an angler fish's lure, which acts as a constant light spell? Or some catfish whiskers which grant blindsight?

Oooh! And I've just remembered that guy with the captain's wheel lodged in his back! How about some kind of change for wreckage and flotsam stuck to the creature's body? Maybe an increased Armour Class or something... Or perhaps an increase to Constitution, but a drop in Dexterity... I'm not so sure on that one, but it'd be cool.

Last edited:

Olly

First Post
A few more ideas...

• The obvious one - Webbed fingers and toes. Granting a bonus on Swim checks or maybe a slightly increased swim speed?
  • Slimy mucus, like that of a lamprey or eel, covers the creature, granting it a bonus on Escape Artist checks.
  • The creature takes on the look of an electric eel and can cast shocking grasp at will a number of times per day?
  • Maybe an octopus' ink-spray, too?

Heh, sorry if I'm coming up with ideas too quickly and giving you headaches, but this template really rather excites me. :heh:

How about these?

Shellfish Patches (Ex): Patches of mussels and similar shelfish grow over the seaclaimed, providing a +1 natural armor bonus and a 25% chance to ignore extra damage from critical hits and sneak attacks.

Tangling Seaweed (Ex): Long strands of kelp and similar plants grow from the seaclaimed creature's body. The seaclaimed can make touch attacks with a reach 5 ft farther than the creature's normal reach and gains a +2 racial bonus on grapple checks.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Coral Encrustation: Part of the creature's body is encased in coral. This provides a +4 bonus to Armor Class. Reduce the creature's Dexterity by 1d4.

Spit Sand: 3/day, the creature can spew wet globs of sand at an opponent within 15 feet. On a failed Reflex save, the opponent is blinded for 1d4 rounds.

Gummy Secretions: The creature can exude a sticky secretion from its body. It has a +4 bonus on Climb and grapple checks. Most of the creature's treasure can be found stuck to its body as a form of decoration.

Blindsense: The creature can sense the electrical impulses of other living things, giving it blindsense 60 feet.

Tusks: A pair of walrus-like tusks grow from the creature's mouth (if it has one), giving it a bite attack (1d4 for a Small creature, 1d6 for a Medium creature, and 1d8 for a Large creature).

Cartilagenous Skeleton: The creature's skeleton (if it has one) becomes soft and pliable. It gains a +8 bonus on Escape Artist checks and DR 5/slashing and piercing.

Flipper Feet: The creature's feet become flippers. It gains as Swim speed (40 ft.), but its ground speed is reduced by half.

Remove ads