[Interest check] High fantasy Wushu...with a twist!

Dr Simon

Explorer
I have to say that I preferred the simpler rules. For some reason I'm not getting my head around the more complex version, and I'm not really seeign what it adds in terms of functionality.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
I'm just letting my creative juices run wild. Here's my idea on a character:

Rogue Demon

Code:
Physical 3 (4 [I]Ki[/I])
  Shape-Shifting 3
     - Demon Form
     - Human Form
     - Butterfly Form

Mental 2 (3 [I]Ki[/I])
  Inquisitiveness 2
     - Learning by Observing
     - Asking the Right Question

Social 1 (2 [I]Ki[/I])
  Intimidation 1
     - Otherworldly Horror

Ajuk once was a force of terror. He was just a lowly pawn in the army of evil, used in the front lines because he possessed the power of Many Forms. He had learned, and he had seen, just how puny humanity was. And yet... humanity had managed to remain in control of an entire world, despite the schemes of the most brilliant, despite the pains of the most horrendous, despite the might of the multitudes of malice. Bored with his position at the bottom of the ranks of the abyss, he joined humanity. He wants to learn their ways, understand why they have such strength and resilience, how they remain on top. So he has decided to fight for good, all the better to understand what their strength truly is.

Ajuk, in demon form, is a hulking, horned and clawed brute. His mouth is pulled into a hellish grin, and his eyes bulge like a frog's from his shaggy head.

(Does something like this work, or is it too far over the top?)

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Do you want something from me I was just thinking of making cameos as the traveling merchant who is always around with items and rumor.

I would have a donkey loaded down and you would hear the familiar clanging of pots and pottery as he comes around the bend.

"Ol' Shizux has what you need yes he does." the short wiry merchant says stroking his long mustaches.

HM

grufflehead

First Post
OK, after a quick discussion with a couple of folks, 'core' Wushu it is. Can those of you who came up with something for the 'new' format try and distill it down into the standard number of traits. For those of you still deciding, assume the normal chargen process - traits start @ 2 and you get 8 points to spend. I recommend having 4 traits, one of which should be a combat trait.

Characters aside, has anybody given any thought to how playable PCs like this are over a longer term bearing in mind there is no advancement as such - what you start with is pretty much what you'll always have unless we start to build in extra rules as we go. Is an adventure path really viable or is it likely to get boring for you if your characters don't 'grow'?

If I run a taster game then those people who are still interested afterwards can decide if they want to have a go at something like WotBS or maybe something more episodic.

@ IVV - it's certainly different! I suspect it's not entirely suitable for WotBS from what I have read of the background, but no problems about something like this in a one-shot

@HolyMan - you can stat something up now if you want or wait and see how it develops.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I'm definitely looking forward to trying. If the story is good, I think we'll be fine even over a long campaign. However, if we get bored with what we're playing we might consider writing one character out of the story and another one in - it's not like it takes a long time to make them!

Dr Simon

Explorer
I was wondering about that, whether the characters ought to get a boost at the end of each of the adventures, or perhaps defeine their abilities more.

As someone who was thinking of portraying a magician, it would be good to have some function where the powers grew over time. However, I'm happy just hand-waving that with some DM discussion.

Also, where the PCs are less constrained by *what* their characters can do, it allows for character development more in the literary sense, which can be just as much fun as levelling up.

Songdragon

Explorer
I guess when RPing it will be the player who considers how powerful they are and such. Example instead of being the uber person starting with the holy avenger full mithril plate of godliness, you play yourself merely having a simple long sword, likely of a masterwork quality with a fine set of Banded Armor or the like. While it really does not affect a character's power within the Wushu rules, it's more or less how one wants to play their character. And there can still be treasures and such, we just change appearances.

I will change up my ideas here later this evening or in the morning.

Any thoughts on healing yet. I am not sure if I will play a person with healing magics yet. That ranger sounds like a cool idea for me.

~ Songdragon ~

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Thanks, grufflehead! I figure I should ask the other players whether they mind having a demon tag along with them. If it works, great, if not, I'll design someone else, no biggie.

Songdragon

Explorer
Kagan Wolfbrother, the Half-Orc Ranger

Traits: Switch Hitter Combat (two handed weapon and archery) 4, Naturecraft 4, Nature Magic 4, Woodland Cruelty 1.

A young half-orc ranger who was a conscripted scout in the Ragesian army. In the confusion of the disappearance of the Empire's leader, he fled for a better life.

Valaundra, Elven Priestess of Sehanine
Traits: Moon Magic 5, Combat Blades 3, Noble Diplomacy 4, Bleeding Heart 1

Valaundra is a young noble of Shahalesti. She is a priestess in the service of Sehanine. She has been sent to gain life experience so that she can better understand not only the world at large, but herself.

~ Songdragon ~

Last edited:

Remove ads