[Interest check] High fantasy Wushu...with a twist!

grufflehead

First Post
@ SD - both of those look good. You've actually got 2 more points to spend as well (traits start @ 2 and you've only spent 6 points). Also, on the healing front, there is none in Wushu. Chi comes back at 'dramatically appropriate' points!

@ Dr Si - the rules suggest potentially switching points between traits after adventures but that's not really 'advancement'. I don't know how potentially game-breaking allowing someone to pick up a new Trait @ 2 or add a dice to an existing Trait every once in a while would be. You are right about about being able to develop as characters, if not mechanically, though. I think it will be a case of suck it and see.

I'm looking fror a suitable adventure to try. Would people like an 'open book' type test where we all have access to the adventure, or just let me run something and see how it works out? I've located a few old copies of Dungeon which might have some useful material in the latter case.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Okay, couple of character thoughts:

Mbwara Loamsheart
A stockily built man that you might almost take for a dwarf, save for the fact that he is bald and clean shaven, and his skin is much darker than a dwarf. He wears simple layered robes, but decorated in elaborate batik patterns of greens and browns, and carries a short wooden staff.

Traits
Earth Magic 5
Friend to Nature 4
Calm Demeanour 4
Wrestling 3

Flaw: Needs to be touching solid ground for magic to work.

Callistro
Tall, stern, chiselled, this armoured man radiates confidence (arrogance?) and moves with the assured air of one who knows his place is to lead. He wears a mail hauberk with an expensivesly embroided surcoat and fur-trimmed cloak (that nevertheless is as functional as it is decorative). The sword hanging from his hip is like his cloak - expensive because it is designed to do its job well.

Traits
Swordsmanship 4
Horsemanship 4
Air of Command 4
Athleticism 4

Flaw: Hot Temper

The first is a calm, collected mage with power over earth and a connection to nature. The second, I've alway fancied playing a character who was quick to anger. He's a bit like Boromir, or Harry Hotspur from Henry IV Pt 1 - an honourable man and a capable warrior but rather too quick to act and judge.

On playtesting, I'm easy. If it's an older adventure I've probably read it, if its 3e or above, probably not.

Songdragon

Explorer
Kagan Wolfbrother, the Half-Orc Ranger

Traits: Switch Hitter Combat (two handed weapon and archery) 4, Naturecraft 4, Nature Magic 4, Stealth 4 Woodland Cruelty 1.

A young half-orc ranger who was a conscripted scout in the Ragesian army. In the confusion of the disappearance of the Empire's leader, he fled for a better life.

Decided to go with the ranger concept.

Any mod you want to playtest is fine by me.

~ Songdragon ~

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Ajuk

Concept: Rogue Demon

Traits:
Shapeshifting 6
Inquisitiveness 3
Demonic Brawling 4
Intimidation 3

Flaw: Can be identified in any form by a red cuneiform rune on his body.

Boddynock

First Post
I've been thinking about an adept in the use of True Names. Knowing the true name allows a variety of types of control over the thing (or person) named. Primarily I've been thinking in terms of charms, and so on, but also transformations.

I just followed the link in the first post to check the concept against the open rules but there's nothing there! It looks like they've been deleted. Does anybody have a copy?

By the way, what do you think of a flaw that says that to use a true name is to come alongside the object, creature or person named. That may be beneficial if it's a noble elf but it could be very distressing (to say the least) if it's a demon being named. That would certainly limit this character's uber-rating.

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Touch Range Magic"?

If Songdragon's going with the ranger, I think I'll take Callistro otherwise there's an overlap in interests.

grufflehead

First Post
I just followed the link in the first post to check the concept against the open rules but there's nothing there! It looks like they've been deleted. Does anybody have a copy?

Damn, that's annoying. I could never get the pdf producer to work so relied on the site. The rules are in one of the supplements I have but it wasn't free. Oh well, I can put the basic info down in a post later and we can work from that - just as well it is so simple!

As far as your character idea, sounds OK. Not sure how that flaw will work but we can try it and see.

@IVV - don't think you are allowed traits of 6 (sorry if I didn't make that clear) as you can't fail to roll that. Can you drop it to 5 and bump one of the others up please.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Ajuk

Concept: Rogue Demon

Traits:
Shapeshifting 5
Inquisitiveness 4
Demonic Brawling 4
Intimidation 3

Flaw: Can be identified in any form by a red cuneiform rune on his body.

Done, thanks!

grufflehead

First Post
I've made a discovery! I was on *another* rpg forum and found a thread about the author of Wushu's new 'project', called the Black Belt Edition which looks to be a re-working of the rules, with maybe some/all of the supplementary material thrown in. Anyway, late in the thread, someone posted a link to a copy of the free rules - as the weblink I provided seems to currently be on the fritz, I'd suggest going and grabbing the pdf while you can.

http://www.story-games.at/wushu/open_reloaded.pdf

Having read it, this version seems a lot better than the web one anyway. It's got more detail, there are some optional rules, but written quite clearly, and best of all, there is more info on coming up with character ideas, as well as a load of play examples. It's basically the version of the rules I always wanted, so go get it and start reading ;)

Remove ads