Interesting Class + Monster Combos...

the Jester

Legend
Now, prolly the single most memorable classed monsters I have faced as a player were the damned pair of otyughs- one was a barbarian, the other a rogue.

The barb went down easy. The rogue, lurking beneath the sewage, almost got us all in a tpk.

Jesus! I kid you not- watching an otyugh tentacle come out and slam your pal to death in a sneaky place, then pull his corpse under the effluvia to "marinade"- erggh! :uhoh: :eek: :confused: :mad:

the Jester

Legend
As a dm, on the other hand, I've used some fun ones... some of my favorites included:

-a nimblewright weapon master in 3.0 with a threat range of 6-20. And if it didn't crit, it could do automatic maximum damage! That's a hell of a choice...

-a riding dog with 1 level of fighter. After many, many adventures with her halfling pals, Ethel the dog gained a level! :D

-a high-level cleric fomorian giant (ouchie!)

-demon or devil rogues (or better yet, assassins); the ability to teleport in and out makes for easy sneak attacking.

Bill Muench

First Post
One of my absolute favorites was the Grbleringbeshen, Shadow Gibbering Mouthers advanced to 12-HD and given 12 levels of Rogue. They were personal pets of Vecna and instead of lots of mouths, had hundreds of tiny clawed hands. They spat their acid from constantly weeping tear ducts.

I tend to follow Sepulchrave's idea that "class levels" don't necessarily mean that the creature in question actually trained to learn something. Instead, th levels can reflect abilities that they have had since creation. So it isn't like the Grbleringbeshen went out adventuring to gain those 12 Rogue levels - they were created that way from the get-go by Vecna.

Before the MM errata came out, they were much nastier. Due to the Shadow Creature template, they could get full concealment even when not hiding. So they got 6d6 of sneak attack, plus Crippling Strike, plus the Con Drain when they grappled an opponent. Bye bye stats...

Some other favorites:
  • Babau Blackguard/Assassin
  • Quasit Clr/Rog with an Alternate Form of a humanoid creature and armed with martial weapons, since all outsiders are proficient with them. Lots of PCs were puzzled why the "orc" had DR, could turn invisible, etc.
  • Verin, Quasit Spellthief/Ur-Priest: A sneaky quasit who decided he didn't want to move up the demonic food chain via hard work.
  • Marguul Clan Bugbear Monk of the Mockery (think that's the clan, from memory): Well-groomed, heavily tattooed bugbear who fights with a pair of oversized kama.
  • Erinyes Blackguard/Disciple of Dispater: Sick. Just sick. Fights with a cold-iron blackguard's blade (BoVD) and loves the smitin'.
  • Half-Scrag 10-HD Sahuagin Frenzied Berserker, called "the Immortal Shark" by the Sea Elves: Due to the Sahuagin's 'blood frenzy' ability, they don't need levels of Barbarian to enter the FB PrC.
  • Hildraska Koldottir, Female Fire Giant Pious Templar of Surtr 3/Blackguard 7 with a fiendish red dragon mount. Death from above.
  • Gurjat Rakesh, Ak'chazar Rakshasa Eldritch Knight: Posing as a bored nobleman in a young kingdom while working to control it all. Accompanied by his dead lover, a ghost medusa bard who acts as his swordbearer.
  • Marku, Advanced Ibixian Hooded Pupil Necromancer/Ur-Priest: I love me my Goatfolk.
  • Laodamia, Medusa Mnk2/Ur-Priest2/Sacred Fist10

There's a short list of some of my personal favorites I've come up with. I've probably got a hundred pages or more of NPCs in short-paragraph form all the way up to fully-statted. I absolutely love the flexibility of 3.0/3.5 when it comes to classing monsters.

DMH

First Post
I have considered using a winter wolf expert 8/diplomat 10 (actually the equivilent of) that helps a human control several nations through the treaties it creates. Everyone thinks it is a dumb riding animal, but it is smarter than its rider. Or in place of the winter wolf, a vapor bore from Minions.

der_kluge

Adventurer
In my last campaign I made a Nymph Druid Vampire (or would that be vampiric Nymph Druid?). The charisma boost from the vampire really augmented well with the Nymph abilities.

smootrk

First Post
I have not used the idea yet on my players but in the works is my Winter Were-Wolf Cleric of Auril (cold deity from FR) and her Ranger mate, leading a pack of wolves/winter-wolves.

Einan

First Post
I used my Invisible Stalker rogue in conjunction with a kobold sorceror and half red-dragon monk as a trio of button men for a Neutral wizard who was vetting the PCs to see if they were ready to recieve his aid.

(I should preface this: up until now they had kicked royal arse in the fighting realms.)

They weren't. Invisible stalker took out the cleric/archer. Kobold knocked the paladin down to 0 hp and the monk knocked out the dwarven rogue/monk and carved his name in his back. Of course, when they next encountered this group they (the PCs) used tactics and wiped the floor with them.

I miss that gaming group.

Einan

the Jester

Legend
Oh, here's one I really enjoyed that I used in 1e- mind flayer monks. Nowadays, it would be even cooler! "STUNNING FIST!" Schlorp! "Yum!"

Bill Muench

First Post
Oh, and the one other one I really liked: a half-red dragon mongrelfolk monk/assassin. Servant and child of a red dragon who was sent to assassinate a number of PCs.

Remove ads