Interesting Class + Monster Combos...

tombshroud

Explorer
Here are some of the creatures I've either used or want to use in my campaigns:

-Troll Ranger w/ any PHB player races as favored enemies, ranger is a good class to add to monsters w/ the proper favored enemy

-twig blight rogues

-choker rogue

-goblin barbarian (using the element of surprise)

-half dragon troll barbarian - with a 1/2 red or gold it would over come the troll's weakness to fire

-ogre mage rogue - spell like abilities + sneak attack + ogre mage strength = unhappy PCs

EricNoah

Adventurer
I put together two NPC classes to help with monster/class combos. One is a "bandit" that has BAB/saves/etc. like a Rogue but gets Sneak Attack a little less frequently (2nd, 5th, 8th, 11th, etc.), gains Evasion at 4th level, and that's it. Skill points are reduced to 6 per level, and skill list eliminates "professional thief" skills like Open Lock and Disable Device. This is a nice simple class to add to any kind of a stealthy monster without burdening it with things like Trapfinding/Trap Sense and Uncanny Dodge.

The other is a "brute" class, statted out like the Barbarian, but again gets abilities at a different rate (rage per day is actually a little faster than the Barbarian; uncanny dodge comes later; no trap sense and no DR) and has a reduced skill list (the brute isn't into woodsy things like Survival, but is all about Climbing, Jumping, Intimidating, Spotting and Listening). Again, this is a nice way to put some oomph into a combat oriented creature without making it a "barbarian."

Last edited:

Sejs

First Post
Taking a note from how ancient peoples used to worship cave bears (on account of how their skeletons looked basically human, only huge) I cooked up Mountain Eyes, at one point.

Hill Giant Druid, Natural Dire Werebear.

Remove ads