• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Interesting Class + Monster Combos...

tombshroud

Explorer
Here are some of the creatures I've either used or want to use in my campaigns:

-Troll Ranger w/ any PHB player races as favored enemies, ranger is a good class to add to monsters w/ the proper favored enemy

-twig blight rogues

-choker rogue

-goblin barbarian (using the element of surprise)

-half dragon troll barbarian - with a 1/2 red or gold it would over come the troll's weakness to fire

-ogre mage rogue - spell like abilities + sneak attack + ogre mage strength = unhappy PCs

EricNoah

Adventurer
I put together two NPC classes to help with monster/class combos. One is a "bandit" that has BAB/saves/etc. like a Rogue but gets Sneak Attack a little less frequently (2nd, 5th, 8th, 11th, etc.), gains Evasion at 4th level, and that's it. Skill points are reduced to 6 per level, and skill list eliminates "professional thief" skills like Open Lock and Disable Device. This is a nice simple class to add to any kind of a stealthy monster without burdening it with things like Trapfinding/Trap Sense and Uncanny Dodge.

The other is a "brute" class, statted out like the Barbarian, but again gets abilities at a different rate (rage per day is actually a little faster than the Barbarian; uncanny dodge comes later; no trap sense and no DR) and has a reduced skill list (the brute isn't into woodsy things like Survival, but is all about Climbing, Jumping, Intimidating, Spotting and Listening). Again, this is a nice way to put some oomph into a combat oriented creature without making it a "barbarian."

Last edited:

Sejs

First Post
Taking a note from how ancient peoples used to worship cave bears (on account of how their skeletons looked basically human, only huge) I cooked up Mountain Eyes, at one point.

Hill Giant Druid, Natural Dire Werebear.

Remove ads