Into the New World, Chapter 1: Amongst the Verdant Towers

Shayuri

First Post
Erin gives him a coquettish grin and sways a little...then catches a glimpse of the merchant wagon.

"Yes, but...they're telling the stories," she points out. "Maybe after?"

WarShrike

First Post
"After it is" Ryon says with a smile. "Goodbye for now miss Erin, Quoth." With that, he strides back into the crowd, looking for the travelling salesman. "We gotta find that guy, Growl. Hopefully he has some decent skinning blades. No offense to Anakletos's skills n all, but those bronze knives he makes can't keep an edge to save his life."

Dire Lemming

First Post
Lorthanoth said:
Alistia also looks as the stranger wanders off on his own errands, "Hm, sorry, Enko, what was that? Oh, yes - I persuaded Mother to let me have a look round; I really want to see if that fabric trader is here. What are you doing here? We don't see you in town much." she asks the young healer.

"Oh, well actually I've just come back from a trip, but today is Bronzemarket, and I need my tools fixed. Then there are the merchants in town and the festival tonight. I couldn't miss that! I've been trying to find some new herbs or seeds. Have you found anything yet?"

Zurai

First Post
Ryon and Thane:

The weapons table is littered with knives of every imagineable shape. Short filleting knives, broad-bladed skinning knives, serrated knives for slicing meat, and some that don't seem to serve any real purpose other than to look deadly. Most of the weapons on display are made of copper or iron; not many villages have discovered the secret of bronze yet. There is one "knife", however - longer and broader than the rest by far - that looks to be made of some strange silvery-grey metal.[sblock=OOC knives info]Basically, any type of knife you might want in copper or iron, and one steel short sword.[/sblock]

Cleyra:

The trader tending the spice and fruit table answers your barrage of questions easily even as he fields inquiries from other interested customers. It's almost like he does this for a living. He obviously didn't grow any of the products himself, as he travels and trades for a living, but he has at least a passing knowledge of the wares he peddles. When he learns that you're a farmer, he directs your attention to several small bags of seeds.[sblock=OOC seed info]Olives, apples, grapes, and some varieties of grains that aren't native to the Cuirlen area. Each bag contains roughly 50-100 seeds.[/sblock]

Erin:

You catch the trader mid-story.

"... and so there we was, face-to-face with the biggest damn bear I ever seen. 'E looked hungry, too. So my partner Abel there, 'e shrieks like a little girl and starts runnin' -"

"Oi! That weren't how it went at all!" protests the trader managing the cloth table.

"Hey, it's my story an' I'm stickin' to it!" the storyteller shouts back, then returns to his tale with a conspiratorial grin.

WarShrike

First Post
"G'mornin there friend" greets Ryon. "Fine blades you got there, most of em anyway. Lookin for a skinning knife that won't wear down three times while skinning a rabbit" he says, with a look over his shoulder to make sure he's well out of earshot of Anakletos's stall. "And that thing there, that long, odd color knife there. What might that be?"

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Thane slides through the crowd up to the table full of cutlery, waiting quietly for Ryon to finish his question before stepping forward to speak quietly. "I need a blade that will take well to sharpening, I am used to spending a long time away from smiths, and a sharp blade is always useful. What can you show me?"

Last edited:

Lorthanoth

Explorer
Alistia stops properly listening to Enko after "Bronzemarket" and nods at the appropriate moments, "Well, I haven't had much opportunity yet, having just had some wild man bump into me! I'm looking for cloth really." she replies. "Oh! There it is!" is her next exclamation, followed by her half-jogging to get to the cart.

Who- huh, it's that Erin from the weaver family. Of course she'd be here; she thinks she's so marvellous, all dressed up fancy. I'll never forget last year with all of her ridiculous flirting! Yuck!

Her clothes may be more rough hewn and she doesn't have the skill at attracting attention that Erin does, but Alistia is still attractive and she knows a little bit about how to show off. She saunters faux-nonchalantly up to the stalls and just to the side and behind the weaver's daughter.

"Hello, Erin! Spirits keep you; fancy seeing you here!" she says with a studied friendliness and surprise.

Shayuri

First Post
Erin turns around to look at Alistia, a little surprised the other girl had actually accosted her. Instincts as old as she was took over, and she immediately smiled back at the other girl with an expression just as genuine as hers was.

"Why hello, Alistia," she purrs with false warmth. "Congratulations on getting away from the bakery long enough to get here."

She reaches out to pluck the fabric of Alistia's sleeve a little distastefully and her smile turns wicked.

"Too bad you didn't have time to change...but it's all right. The town's full of peasants right now. I don't think anyone'll notice."

The large black raven perched on the barrel beside where Erin is standing cocks its head to peer at Alistia with one shiny ebony eye and emits a huffing cawing noise that sounds eerily like laughter.

Despite Quoth's reaction, Erin felt a sting of guilt immediately after she spoke. She didn't really dislike Alistia...in truth, they rarely saw each other. Erin lived with her mother in the small house on the edge of the town, Alistia lived farther in, towards the center. All Erin had against the other girl was that she was pretty...all right, beautiful...and there weren't many beautiful girls of their age in town. It seemed somehow wrong that such a simple girl with such simple ambitions should be just as...all right, maybe even more...beautiful as Erin herself, with her lofty goals and mysterious powers. Unfair. As unfair as being trapped in this tiny village with its insignificant people doing their meaningless, trite, boring work season after season with no end in sight...

...so all right, maybe there was more behind her venom than just a little competitive jealousy.

Last edited:

Dire Lemming

First Post
Enko watches Alistia too runs off, leaving him alone. He starts to move on as well, but then a thought occurs to him, making him spin back around and head towards the cloth merchant. I should get something for Artimisia. I wonder if Alistia would help me choose something. He walks over to find Alistia conversing with Erin, the weaver's daughter, and her strange talking bird. "Alistia. Oh, it's you Erin! This is perfect. I need some help choosing cloth."

Lorthanoth

Explorer
Alistia is a little taken aback by the overt rudeness of the other young woman's comments. How dare she?! Mastering her temper, she smoothly says, "Yes, we've been working very hard today but I've managed to get a short break. Not too long though. Bread is after all, very important. We'd all starve without it. So I feel happy doing something useful."

She thinks to herself Well, that's not exactly true... but that should show her! And yet she can't help but feel that there is a grain of truth there, that she does take pride in her work and feeling that she can help people. If I had her freedom, I'd do so much more with it...

And also, a tiny idea begins to form at the back of her mind, but she struggles to bring it to fruition... perhaps lacking the vocabulary to give it full expression.. but at some level realising that Erin's jealousy reflects her insecurity rather than any real arrogance. This is silly, I should make the most of today rather than getting into a stupid game with some girl I hardly know...

She clears her throat, "You're right, Erin, I haven't had time to change... but I wonder if your mother has a scarf or something I could get? I should really like to have something new to go with my 'best' for tonight."

Alistia starts a little as Enko suddenly appears behind them.

Remove ads