Into the New World, Chapter 1: Amongst the Verdant Towers

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Thane unslings his pack and pulls out some of the better furs he has - he can save the meat for trying to get some of those interesting spices. Maybe they'd make fresh game taste a little more interesting. He's not the best of hagglers, and he knows it, so he contents himself with a pair of the simpler-looking wrought-iron skinning and filleting knives. A few minutes later - and with a rather lighter pack - he heads back into the crowd, headed for the wagon with the spices and the bargaining woman.

Lorthanoth

Explorer
"I just said they were dreams, didn't I?" Alistia replies rather testily to the young man.

"And anyway, what danger is there? You must have seen things and have some stories to tell? And surely... it wouldn't be that dangerous if a group of us went travelling together?"

Shayuri

First Post
"Someone like you?" Erin replies to Alistia, suddenly in the grip of a burning elation. "What's wrong with you? Nothing, that's what! Look at you! You're...gorgeous, you're strong and quick, you have tons of valuable skills. I bet you could even swing a knife if you had to, if you were in trouble!"

She reaches out to grab Alistia's hands. "If we wanted...if we REALLY wanted...nothing could stop us. That's what I think."

Finally Erin glances at Enko with a scowl and releases the other girl's hands.

"I'm surprised I have to tell this to a speaker-to-spirits," she says coolly. "But nothing of consequence ever comes without risk. Does it? Or can you tell me that talking to the spirits is completely safe? There's no chance at all of saying the wrong thing and incurring their wrath? Hmm?"

She nods at Alistia and adds, "Yes! Together, there's nothing we couldn't face! I am not just some weaver's daughter!"

Dire Lemming

First Post
Enko's thoughtful frown becomes more worried as Erin seems to be working herself up about this.

"Please Erin, you have to understand. I understand the risks involved in speaking with the spirits. What you are speaking of however is something completely unknown. What do you know of the dangers you might encounter beyond Cuirlen? Yes, no one could stop you from leaving, it's true. If you wished to leave us we could do nothing but regret your decition. We could not even mourn your death. If you were to die out there alone no one would know of it. Don't you understand? Your choices effect more than just you."

Lorthanoth

Explorer
Alistia pipes up, "Well that's obviously why she wouldn't go on her own, she'd have to find other people who also wanted to go exploring as well as people who know the sort of things to look out, hmm?" At that she pokes Enko expectantly in the arm with her finger, "Now I wonder who that sounds like?"

Dire Lemming

First Post
Enko takes a step back, looking positively aghast. "W-what? Me? But... Just hold on a moment! S- Suppose I agreed to do this, we would have to get the council to agree to let us go first. I'm not going to just sneak off into the night and leave everyone worrying for us. They will worry either way, but at least if we have the council's approval then we know it's alright... I mean... Look, let's just think about it for today. There'll be a festival tonight, you don't want to miss that right?"

Shayuri

First Post
Erin's eyes narrow to slits for a moment as she looks at Enko, but then Alistia speaks, and she smiles at the young speaker...

"Yes Enko," she purrs invitingly. "Come with us. Keep us safe. It's your...duty, isn't it? To look after us poor...defenseless...girls? It doesn't have to be tonight...not right away...just say you will."

Dire Lemming

First Post
Enko blushes slightly and steps back from Erin as well. "E- Erin... What are you-? Don't be ridiculous, if you two were defenseless I'd never agree to this. C- C'mon now... You don't have to act like that with me. I won't let you two go alone. We should still talk to the elders about it though."

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Erin's smile widens and shows teeth as he backs away, giving ground.

"Act like what?" she asks innocently. "Is it my fault that most women of age...like myself and Alistia...find the notion of being protected very romantic? Why, our guardian would be like a prince to us...to be looked up to...and obeyed...no matter what he asked."

With each phrase she advanced on the hapless boy, voice dripping honey, eyes wide and full of innocence...but her grin was predatory and fanged.

Just before reaching him though, she stopped and shrugged, putting away the artifice as easily as a warrior might sheathe his blade...abruptly becoming all business again.

"Just something to think about. But if you want to talk to the elders first to make up your own mind...be my guest. They'll laugh in your face and say no. But there's no shortage of guardians around here."

Dire Lemming

First Post
Enko fights to keep his senses intact as Erin lays it on thick, not giving him a moment to recover. Then suddenly she stops and he's left staring at her, his mouth hanging slightly open in shock, his heart pounding in his chest, and his pants feeling very uncomfortable. So. This is what it feels like to be toyed with.

"E- Erin, look, I've already said I'd help you both if you went. If you really want to do this though you need to take it seriously. We must gain the council's approval. We must be prepared. I don't even go out to the farms without bringing some food and a bedroll in case I need it. If we just sneak out in the middle of the night we might as well just run into the middle of a pack of starving wolves. Besides, how would your family feel if you left without a word?"

Remove ads