Into the New World - Recruitment OPEN (Current players stay OUT!)

Zurai

First Post
Nephtys said:
Looks interesting. I think I'd like to play an archer Ranger, one of the top hunters of the tribe.

Sounds good. Archery is the most developed "combat type" in Cuirlen, as most of their hunting is done with bow and arrow. You'd be able to get a better bow than just about any other weapon.

Zurai

First Post
Note: I just made a minor change that occured to me... all Craft, Knowledge, and Profession skills are considered class skills for your bonus skill points.

Note that not all Knowledge skills make sense for it, though. Knowledge (Dungeoneering, Nobility, The Planes, and Psionics) are all out-of-place in the current time period.

James Heard

Explorer
I think that, after looking at the House Rules, I'm going to be making a Wizard with an eye toward stonesmithing/brickmasonry/architecture. Maybe some nephew of Phaidros?

Zurai

First Post
James Heard said:
I think that, after looking at the House Rules, I'm going to be making a Wizard with an eye toward stonesmithing/brickmasonry/architecture. Maybe some nephew of Phaidros?

That'd be fine. I intentionally left the apprentices open for people that wanted to make an arcanist.

Masquerade

First Post
I'm still thinking of playing a marshal, perhaps a young farmer (and self-appointed farm overseer) from one of the outlying thorps with a knack for mathematics and a penchant for offering advice, even when it isn't welcome. Maybe linked to Eriboea.

Zurai

First Post
Masquerade said:
I'm still thinking of playing a marshal, perhaps a young farmer (and self-appointed farm overseer) from one of the outlying thorps with a knack for mathematics and a penchant for offering advice, even when it isn't welcome. Maybe linked to Eriboea.

That all sounds good.

Dire Lemming

First Post
This looks quite interesting, and the fact that you put so much effort into it makes me feel allot better about putting effort into it myself and less fearful that the game will just putter out and die, like so many PbP games! I'll see what I can come up with in the way of a character but I'll say now that I'd like to play a healerish type. Not sure what class that would be. Also, He'd be Good. And male. I'm not too creative when it comes to gender and alignment... :heh:

BTW, this reminded me of this: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves

Edit, What spirit mark would be the best for a healer And for that matter what class?

Edit again: Got some more questions, tell me if I'm getting into too much detail. Are there any kind of marriage rituals in this culture and if so, can you give some details on them? What kinds of prejudices are there in this culture? What kind of clothing do people usually wear in this culture? Are there any domesticated animals in this culture and if so, what are they? What's the climate like in the area?

Well, that's all I can think of for now.

Last edited:

WarShrike

First Post
Ryon Wolfheart, Human Ranger.

[SBLOCK=Story]The Wolfheart's hold a fine reputation as both hunters and herders, but are sought after mostly for their skills at domesticating and trainning animals of all kinds. Wolves are often trained as cattle and sheep dogs that respond to whistles and hand signs, and as trackers for the village's hunting parties that can stalk deer on the darkest moonless night. The Wolfheart's have a way with animals, and Ryon is no exception.

Enrik and Falla, the current patriarch and matriarch of the Wolfheart clan, and Ryon's grandparents, prefer to take on the tasks of milder animal training, such as horses. Their children, among them Haldin and his wife Risse, Ryon's parents, handle wolves and other, naturally wilder creatures.

Throughout all his young life, Ryon was brought up amongst all the animals known in the region around Cuirlen. It was important, he was taught, that he know the quirks of each one if he was to become a true beast handler. But just training the animals wasn't enough, he had to find them as well, therefore he was apprenticed as a Ranger. Thanks to his family's reputation and standing in the village, it was Kallistrate herself who took Ryon as apprentice. Years were spent roaming the area for miles around the village until he came to know the lay of the land as well as she. Kallistrate taught him the ways of the animals, and how to track them. She also taught him all she knew of the magical beasts in the area, and of the danger they represented to the people of Cuirlen and it's surrounding villages. These creatures were not for taming she would say, they had to be removed for the safety of all. Thanks in no small part to her tutelage, and to his family's wisdom and love of animals, he came to understand them in a way that was almost frightenning. His skill at training the wolf pups he was charged with proved that he had great promise as a beast handler.

He'd always had a fancy for cats, but the few Lynx's that were tamed in the Wolfheart compound were far to wild for a child to work with, and his father always shooed him off when he went to see them. When his love of wild cats became known to the few travelling merchants that came to Cuirlen, they would tell him tales of even larger cats. Some lived in caves in the mountains, others prowled the plains, alone or in packs. Some had spots, and some had stripes, and some were even all black or white. The tales always made Ryon dream of finding such magnificent beasts. As a child, he vowed to one day tame such creatures, and bring them back to Cuirlen so that all the village could marvel at their beauty. Now an adult, that vow is still as dear to his heart as it was then. That dream had also sparked annother: to see these other lands, these mountains and great plains, deep forests, and rocky hills. And the animals! The beasts that dwelt there might be great assets to Cuirlen. Some day, he'd venture forth, useing all the skills Kallistrate had taught him. He'd make her proud of him, and return to his family with new beasts to raise and train, and earn his place among them and then some.

[/SBLOCK]
Chaotic Good

Vitality: 10
Wound: 14
AC: 15, touch 12, flat footed 13
DR: 1/-
Init: +6
Listen/Spot: +5

Fort: +4
Refl: +4
Will: +1

Str: 14 (6 pts)
Dex: 14 (6 pts)
Con: 14 (6 pts)
Int: 12 (4 pts)
Wis: 12 (4 pts)
Cha: 12 (4 pts)

Skills Trained:
Handle Animal.................= +10 (4 ranks, +1 Cha, +3 Skill Focus, +2 Animal Affinity)
Hide.............................= +6 (4 Ranks, +2 Dex)
Knowledge Geography.....= +5 (4 ranks, +1 Int)
Knowledge Nature..........= +5 (4 ranks, +1 Int)
Listen..........................= +5 (4 ranks, +1 Wis)
Move Silently................= +6 (4 ranks, +2 Dex)
Profession Hunter...........= +5 (4 ranks, +1 Wis)
Ride.............................= +8 (4 ranks, +2 Dex, +2 Animal Afinity)
Spot............................= +5 (4 ranks, +1 Wis)
Survival........................= +5 (4 ranks, +1 Wis)

Feats:
Animal Affinity (+2 Handle Animal / Ride)
Favored Enemy -- Magical Beasts
Improved Initiative (+4 Init)
Skill Focus -- Handle Animal (+3)
Track
Wild Empathy

Gear:
Buckler -- +1 AC
Studded Leather -- +2 AC, DR 1/-
Longbow -- 1d8 Damage, Threat range 19-20
60 Arrows
Dagger
Backpack

Last edited:

Masquerade

First Post
Here's what I have thusfar, although I'm still somewhat undecided on the feats. Let me know if anything is glaringly off here.
Background forthcoming. ;)

[sblock]Cleyra Tauwesh

Female Human Marshal (1st)
Lawful Neutral
STR 10, +0 (2 pts)
DEX 14, +2 (6 pts)
CON 12, +1 (4 pts)
INT 14, +2 (6 pts)
WIS 10, +0 (2 pts)
CHA 16, +3 (10 pts)

Vitality Points: 9 (8+1)
Wound Points: 12

Fortitude: +3 (+1 CON, +2 Marshal)
Reflex: +2 (+2 DEX)
Will: +2 (+0 WIS, +2 Marshal)
Initiative: +2 (+2 DEX)

Skill Points: 36 (24 Marshal, 4 Human, 8 "Skillful")
+7 Bluff (+3 CHA, 4 ranks)
+10 Diplomacy (+3 CHA, 2 ranks, +3 Skill Focus, +2 Negotiator)
+4 Knowledge [geography] (+2 INT, 2 ranks)
+6 Knowledge [local] (+2 INT, 4 ranks)
+6 Knowledge [nature] (+2 INT, 4 ranks)
+4 Listen (+0 WIS, 4 ranks)
+4 Profession [farmer] (+0 WIS, 4 ranks)
+4 Ride (+2 DEX, 2 ranks)
+4 Sense Motive (+0 WIS, 2 ranks, +2 Negotiator)
+4 Spot (+0 WIS, 4 ranks)
+4 Survival (+0 WIS, 4 ranks)

Class Features
. Proficient with all simple and martial weapons
. Proficient with all armor and shields (except tower shields)
. Minor Aura, +3 (Demand Fortitude)

Feats
. Combat Expertise [1st-level]
. Negotiator ["Grounded"]
. Point Blank Shot [Human]
. Skill Focus (Diplomacy) [Marshal][/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
Zurai said:
Bronzesmith, but yes, that'd be fine. You could be one of Anakletos' apprentices; he has several. That would also potentially give you insight into the working of the Council of Elders, as well.

Note that Anakletos is the youngest Elder by almost a decade. That's how important bronze is to the community.

Well then a smart and avid apprentice, who can shape bronze at will, and so the heads of his foes.

Remove ads