Into the New World - Recruitment OPEN (Current players stay OUT!)

Zurai

First Post
Dire Lemming said:
BTW, this reminded me of this: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves
Best. (Computer) Game. Evar! New version in just a couple days!!! <bounce>

Edit, What spirit mark would be the best for a healer And for that matter what class?

Spirit marks have no mechanical benefit, at least at the moment. They're entirely flavor. Think of something in the natural world associated with healing or life and it'd be a good spirit patron; water, sometimes fire, certain plants, etc.

As for classes, there are four listed classes with healing spells and one with healing special abilities. The spellcasters are the Adept (NPC class, but it has a great spell list), Bard, Ranger, and Spirit Shaman. Non-spellcaster is the Paladin. Of the five, Spirit Shamans make the best healers, with Bards and Adepts pretty much tied for second. A note about Spirit Shamans and Paladins: while not all spellcasters are spirit-talkers, all Spirit Shamans and Paladins are. So, if you pick one of those two classes, you'll need to decide on a spirit patron. The patron is mostly flavor for the Spirit Shaman, but it will decide which abilities you get access to as a Paladin. Also note that there are currently zero Paladins in the setting. It's an extremely rare class in general in the world. I left it open for players here because Paladins are usually destined for great things - ie, they're mostly PC bait.

Of note here is that I do not play "hit points" (or more precisely with the variant I'm using in this game, Vitality Points) as neccesarily being physical damage. A soldier with extremely low morale would have very low "hit points" to me. This leaves the door open for you to flavor healing as non-magical for classes that don't neccesarily fit the general spellcaster mold, like Bards, Rangers, and Paladins. Their inspiring presence or knowledge of the local plantlife or witty reparte (or whatever else) can be the catalyst for healing, instead of a "spell" in the default sense of the word. Mechanically it'd still be a spell or SLA/SU ability, but flavorwise it can be pretty much anything.

Edit again: Got some more questions, tell me if I'm getting into too much detail. Are there any kind of marriage rituals in this culture and if so, can you give some details on them? What kinds of prejudices are there in this culture? What kind of clothing do people usually wear in this culture? Are there any domesticated animals in this culture and if so, what are they? What's the climate like in the area?

No worries about "too much detail" unless you plan to start asking what color all 900-odd peoples' hair is :lol:

Marriages: Yes, informally. There's no true religion in the modern sense of the word, so there's not so much need for a religious marriage ceremony. Think more medieval joining of households than modern walking down the aisle. Ritualwise, there'd be a ceremony to ensure the blessing of the spirits on the union, and another ritual to attract a house-spirit to watch over the new couple's home.

Prejudices: As mentioned, Arcanists are looked at askance. Their magic is completely different from the healing and spirit-related magic that the vast majority of spellcasters in the area practice, and only the arcanists themselves really understand any of it. They're considered useful to have around, but mainly in the sense that an ox is useful to have on the farm.

Clothing: Simple wool and/or cotton shirts and pants. Women wear skirts. People tend to wear their "festival best" to market days and important ceremonies like the blessing of the crops and the supplication of the river spirit prior to the annual flooding. Work clothes are as likely to be leather as wool - there's plenty of game in the area, so non-exotic leather is cheap.

Domesticated animals: Yes. Sheep, cattle, and horses are all present in small numbers. There are more cattle than horses and more horses than sheep. The cattle and horses mainly graze west of the Spiritwash, while the sheep are usually kept in the hills to the south and east of town.

Climate: Temperate and moderately wet. Cuirlen is some distance above the equator so it doesn't get too hot most of the time, but the nearby mountains and dense forest channel rain right through the general area frequently.

Zurai

First Post
WarShrike said:
Ryon Wolfheart, Human Ranger.

The stub looks good. Check the Vitality and Wound Points rules, though, and my special HD house rules. You should have 11 Vitality Points and 12 Wound Points, rather than 9 Hit Points.

Redclaw

First Post
As I said on your other thread, I'm excited about this undertaking. I'd really like to build a scout for this. I picture a pretty young, impulsive kid who keeps exploring just a bit further from Cuirlen. He wouldn't know much of the world outside, but is curious to the point of making dangerous choices to try to see it.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
I have an idea for a character. No name or stats yet.

He is a simple farmboy, perhaps only 15 or 16, from one of the surrounding farms. When his work is done, or when he can steal away on the occasional Saturday, he spends most of his time alone communing with nature and with his daydreams by the river or just inside the edge of the Noonshadow. He has often daydreamed of exploring the old stone temple, even when he was a young child, but most of his daydreams now involve fantastic ideas of traveling up or down the river. And occasionally, he entertains the impossible idea that he may even one day visit the distant mountains on the horizon.

Recently, he has found that he has developed a special "knack" for mending things, and once or twice he has even cured a minor cut or sprained ankle, both on himself and on some of the farm animals. Once, when he was in the forest, and he spied a wolf lurking nearby, he apparently conjured some kind of fog out of nowhere that lingered around him and concealed him from the beast!

He doesn't know where these abilities come from, but he assumes they must be a gift of the river spirit of the forest spirit. Frankly, they frighten him a bit. Perhaps when he and his Pa go into town next Sunday to trade at the market, he will be able to sneak away for a while and talk to Sotera about them. Hopefully, this will be the week that Anakletos is trading, as he will have the best chance at sneaking off unnoticed when his Pa is in negotiations with the bronzesmith.

BTW, the character would be an Adept, but I would like to restrict the spell list to better fit the flavor of the background. For at least the first level, he would specialize in healing and in discovering creative uses for his other minor magics. However, I would like to branch out into another class as the game progresses. No ideas for that yet, and I would actually like to "let the game decide" that part, rather than planning it out in advance.

Zurai

First Post
Redclaw said:
As I said on your other thread, I'm excited about this undertaking. I'd really like to build a scout for this. I picture a pretty young, impulsive kid who keeps exploring just a bit further from Cuirlen. He wouldn't know much of the world outside, but is curious to the point of making dangerous choices to try to see it.

A scout would be excellent, and your character concept is good.

Zurai

First Post
Vigwyn the Unruly said:
I have an idea for a character. No name or stats yet.

Concept looks great!

BTW, the character would be an Adept, but I would like to restrict the spell list to better fit the flavor of the background. For at least the first level, he would specialize in healing and in discovering creative uses for his other minor magics. However, I would like to branch out into another class as the game progresses. No ideas for that yet, and I would actually like to "let the game decide" that part, rather than planning it out in advance.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Adepts. It's one of two NPC classes worth a darn, and the spell list is great (for PHB spells, anyway - only a couple splats update the Adept list, unfortunately :().

"letting the game decide" is actually exactly what I had in mind for the general concept of the game, so that's perfect.

Redclaw

First Post
Code:
Ariston 
Chaotic Good
Scout 1
Vitality 9
Wound 12
AC 14  FF 11  T 13   DR 1/
Initiative +3

Str 12  +1 (4 points)
Dex 16   +3 (10 points)
Con 12   +1 (4 points)
Int 12   +1 (4 points)
Wis 14   +2 (6 points)
Cha 10   +0 (2 points)

Fort +1 (+0 base, +1 con)
Ref +5 (=2 base, +3 dex)
Will +2 (+0 base, +2 wis)

Ranged: Shortbow +3 (1d6, 19-20)
Melee: Dagger +1 (1d4+1, 19-20)

Skills
Climb  +5 (4 ranks, +1 str)
Escape Artist  +5 (2 ranks, +3 dex)
Hide  +9 (4 ranks, +3 dex, +2 stealthy)
Jump  +5 (4 ranks, +1 str)
Knowledge (geography)   +3 (2 ranks, +1 int)
Knowledge (nature)   +5 (4 ranks, +1 int)
Listen  +6 (4 ranks, +2 wis)
Move Silently  +7 (2 ranks, +3 dex, +2 stealthy)
Profession (herbalist)  +6 (4 ranks, +2 wis)
Profession (apothecary)  +4 (2 ranks, +2 wis)
Search  +5 (4 ranks, +1 int)
Spot  +6 (4 ranks, +2 wis)
Survival  +6 (4 ranks, +2 wis)
Swim  +5 (4 ranks, +1 str)

Feats
Point Blank Shot (human bonus)
Dodge (1st level)
Stealthy (grounded bonus)

Class Abilities
Skirmish (+1d6)
Trapfinding

Equipment:
Leather Armor (+1 AC, DR 1/)
Shortbow 
40 arrows
Dagger

[sblock=background]
Apprenticed to a local herbalist who specialized in healing herbs, Ariston learned much about the woods outside of Cuirlen. As soon as he was old enough, he was taught what to search for and sent into the shallowest areas of the forest to find and collect important herbs. He never learned much about administering the herbs he found, but he did learn the rudiments of how to extract their essences.
It was on these frequent forays that Ariston came to appreciate the wilderness more than the small, almost claustrophobic village. He greatly enjoyed testing his speed and agility (among the best in the village) by creating obstacle courses along his path from the village and back in, clambering over fallen logs and up large rocks. He also made a game out of sneaking out of town, and seeing how far he could get back into town without being seen on his return. He cause no end of consternation among the older, more serious members of the town in the process.
Over time, he became convinced that there was more to the world than his little corner of it, and developed an obsession with exploring the outlying areas. He took to climbing tall trees just to stare out at the distant mountains to the northwest. He knew there were dangers beyond the borders of the town's surroundings, but he kept venturing a little further afield with each visit. So far, his master hasn't minded the extra time that Ariston is gone, as he often brings back larger, stronger specimens of the herbs he was sent to collect, or even things that are very rare close to town. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Zurai

First Post
Vigwyn the Unruly said:
Thanks! :D

Should I put together a character sheet?

Sure, go ahead. Do note that if you take the 36 point buy option, you will ONLY be able to take NPC classes for that character in the future - Adept, Commoner, Expert, or Warrior. Potenially Aristocrat if it opens up later on. Prestige classes would still be available, but note most of the PrCs here will be custom, or at least modified. I'm not sure if that's your intention, but I figured it's worth a warning since you said you'd start with an NPC class.

Last edited:

Remove ads