• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Invisible, hidden and within 5 feet of an enemy making a ranged attack

This is a common theme in some recent threads. I don't do this. My preference is to let the rules tell me what happens. Otherwise, why use rules at all? Just tell the story you've already made up.
That seems to be somewhat overreacting...
it is probably better to accept that the rules don't cover every corner case and at that point you need to use rule 0: the DM is the final arbiter of the rules. Or why have a DM at all and not just play a computer game.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Part of the DM's job is to adjudicate edge cases where the rules fail to make sense. It's utterly ridiculous to imply that this means the DM is "just telling a story".
No one has shown how the rules fail to make sense in this case. They just don't conform to some posters' preconceptions of the fiction.

Hriston

What makes you think so? It could as well be an oversight.
Why assume that? Why not assume it was written this way on purpose and in accordance with the intent of the designers?

And then I guess, I'd still put the burden on the invisible PC to describe how they interfere without giving away their presence...
I've been looking at this from the perspective of the hypothetical situation posed by the OP. I.e. that the invisible hidden creature is an NPC. But in the case where it's a PC, sure I'd let the player describe how they interfere which they are entitled to do without having their presence revealed.

Hriston

That seems to be somewhat overreacting...
it is probably better to accept that the rules don't cover every corner case and at that point you need to use rule 0: the DM is the final arbiter of the rules. Or why have a DM at all and not just play a computer game.
This isn't a corner case. It's just disadvantage on an attack roll. The rules cover this just fine.

Stormonu

Legend
Previously when I made my initial post, I couldn't think of a way someone could interfere with archer without it being an attack, which would drop some forms of invisibility. However, now that's its been pointed out, I'd go with shouting or even rustling about could be distracting enough to inflict disadvantage. Basically, the archer knows something is nearby that could upset the shot. If the archer has no idea someone/something is next to them, no disadvantage.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
This is a common theme in some recent threads. I don't do this. My preference is to let the rules tell me what happens. Otherwise, why use rules at all? Just tell the story you've already made up.
Because maybe they though the rule was clear and it isn't?

I tend/like using the rules to tell me what happens also, however there are situations that come up I may need to arbitrate.

Like this one, IMHO.

Hriston

Because maybe they though the rule was clear and it isn't?

I tend/like using the rules to tell me what happens also, however there are situations that come up I may need to arbitrate.

Like this one, IMHO.
Okay sure, but this rule is clear. A ranged attack has disadvantage under these circumstances.

Another example is the spell foresight. Attacks against the target of foresight have disadvantage although the attacking creature has no way of knowing the target can see into the future.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
You know the feeling that you're being watched, but you can't see who is it? It sends a chill down your spine, and also the stench of body odor gives away the invisible guy's position. You also can sense the presence of someone near you sometimes, even though you can't see it.

I don't think DMs should make a ruling here, when the rule is clear. Its not that the situation doesn't make sense, its you who lack imagination to make sense of it.

If an attack misses a creature with 24 AC, did the creature dodge it, parry it, block it, deflected by the Shield of Faith, or did it whiff completely? No, I say it bounced off my manly Unarmored Defense pecs.

Remove ads