• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(IR) IR Interlude Turn 6 - Turn 7 (thread 4)

Mr. Draco

First Post
Edena, as we now have control of three (equivalent) 11th level powers, can we set two to use for attack/defense and have the other one work on 11th level magic for enchancement/alteration/creation? (that takes longer than an hour)

William Ronald

Explorer
Last time, I checked the rules, the Union can make two attacks.

You are limited to the number of attacks you have based on the players in your faction. At least that is how I read the rules.

"Well, a bunch of generals have been given the support of their people. I do not know whether or not that makes this action legitimate. I will urge the people of the Humanoid State not to persecute minorities in their midst. Oppose bigotry."

"However, I do not appreciate someone -- whose nation has contributed LITTLE to the defense of Oerth, who embraced Melkor as a brother, and did not fight with all their might against the Red Armada - calling me and my allies lap dogs. Indeed, perhaps the power that makes this accusation has proven it has no interest in the well being of Oerth or Toril -- merely the accumulation of power."

"Said power has elves among his population. Said power has accused the UC of Toril promoting mating of elves and humanoids. Humanoids and elves began loving relationships before the Humanoid State entered the UC. Their children have risen to places of prominence. It is perhaps not unexpected that a faction seeking power encourages racial bigotry. I have seen that happen on many worlds. It is generally gives dictators someone to blame -- and to rob to enrich their coffers. The same is also true for what has happened with religious minorities."

"For those who doubt me, please access the information from my world and Earth on racism. Consider also, the history of Toril. Toril almost died because of racial hatreds on the part of many. I would not like to see that monster resurrected from its crypt."

"However, the Mists do threaten. I propose that those powers who oppose the use of Red Goo stand as one against those who use it and seek to revive the Red Armada. Perhaps there can be a form of peace after the Unmakers of Oerth and Toril are eliminated. A cold peace is better than a hot war -- in most cases."

"Before I went to this conference, I said that whatever else happened that it was likely that the masks would slip away. I would like to say that the true nature of many factions has been revealed here. I have been insulted, my people have been insulted, my allies have been insulted. I have heard calls supporting bigotry. I have heard people not renounce the Red Waste, with some frolicking in it like a pig through mud."

"Despite the insults and blatant lies, I am still willing to stay for a little while longer. However, I will not stay for ever. I am the first to offer a proposal. I thought I would try to calm the situation, but some have said things and done things to strengthen the Mists. They have done so out of either pursuit of power or loyalty to an ideal."

"However, if peace is achieved, we can perhaps more readily drive away the mists. It must be a true and honest peace. I can not forsee if it will come."

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS

Mr. Draco / Serpenteye

- - -

Edena, can we declare to build up a defense or attack?

ANSWER:

Yes. You state, to me via e-mail, that you are declaring an Attack. You also declare your Defense simultaneously.

You declare, now, prior to Day 1, your Attack and Defense.
During Day 1 - PRIOR to any resolution of Attacks and Defenses, you may declare you are Holding your Attack (your Defense is assumed to be held unless you discharge it or it is discharged by an Attack.)

- - -

So that we can choose the target of the attack later, and the same with the defense?

ANSWER:

Absolutely not.
When you declare an Attack, you MUST state who the target is. And that target can NEVER be changed (although you can drop the Attack for the day, get NO Attack for that day, and start a new Attack on a different target the next day.)
Once you declare who you are Defending, that is it - you can NEVER change your mind.
The ONLY way to change a Defense is to voluntarily discharge it (in which case your Defense for the day is wasted, and you must start over the next day) or for it to be discharged because someone launched an Attack on the Power you were Defending.

- - -

Also, does the Union of Oerth and the Humanoid alliance count as one target for the purposes of 11th?

ANSWER:

No. The Union of Oerth counts as one target. The Humanoid Alliance of Realmspace counts as another target.

If not, then do the other Oerthian powers allied with 11th level Torrilian powers also count as two targets?

ANSWER:

Correct.
For example, Kaboom's Sky-Sea League counts as one Power.
Kaboom's Nations of the Chosen of Mystra counts as another Power.

You may launch a Coup de Grace against any Power that does not have 11th level magic, automatically.
You must Disarm an 11th level Power before you can attempt a Coup de Grace against it.

As for which Oerthian powers have 11th level magic and which do not, I leave that information for you to look up in prior posts.

Edena, in acquiring about 1/3 of the PL of the UC, do we also get about 1/3 of the PL of their City of the Gods research, planar arms race, construct arms race, nuclear weapons, and monster arms race?

ANSWER:

You obtained their nuclear weapons, antimatter weapons, starships, particle cannons (and a lot of other horrors.)
Most importantly, you obtained their 11th level mages, clerics, magical items, and magical infrastructure.

The Arms Races are not relevant here, really, if you think about it.
The Humanoid Alliance wasn't engaged in the Arms Races prior to this point anyways.

- - -

Do we gain 1/3rd of their Pocket Dimensions?

ANSWER:

No.

- - -

Edena, as we now have control of three (equivalent) 11th level powers, can we set two to use for attack/defense and have the other one work on 11th level magic for enchancement/alteration/creation? (that takes longer than an hour)

ANSWER:

The third Power will not be able to launch Category 4 or greater Attacks, or mount Category 4 or greater Defenses.
Powers cannot combine their strength.
Each Power is considered separate and alone for the purposes of what it can do.
This applies even to the Union of Oerth.

In other words, if Mr. Draco spends more than an hour per day each (in Turn 7), on 11th level projects, he is limited to Category 3 Attacks/Defenses or less.
If Serpenteye spends more than an hour per day each (in Turn 7), on 11th level projects, he is limited to Category 3 Attacks/Defenses or less.

There is no way around this restriction.
Powers cannot be combined to get around this restriction.

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Mr. Draco

Edena, one more quick question, is the tech reducing rule (between crystal spheres) still up?

ANSWER:

No. The Angels ended that restriction as well.

The Starfleet of the United Commonwealth, and - for that matter - the Starfleets of the Eternal Empire, Humanoid Alliance, Scro Star League, Republic of Selune, and those few possessed by the other Torilian Powers, complete with their vast armaments of destruction, can travel anywhere they please - in Realmspace, Greyspace, Krynnspace, and in the Crystal Spheres that holds Athas and Mystara.

Technology can be shared freely.

I regret having to do this, for the Technological Arms Race was a fundamental part of the IR.
However, considering the current situation, I find it necessary that this change be made.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
The Church of Mercy will open its doors to all humans who wish freedom from martial law and any oppression. They may come to the Church of Mercy, especially women and children, whom desire freedom from the fighting. The Church will take care of anyone who wishes to flee from fighting on both sides, but it is suspected that humans who have their homes being used as barracks would be the most anxious to come.

Teleportation circles will breifly be opened in every town with warnings before them that these are gates into holy ground and no hostility can come with them. These warnings come in the shape of "angelic" holograms that becon all forces people to come.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
The Sunset

Across Realmspace, the voices of over 150 billion beings die down.
Silence, complete silence, replaces the clamor.

The news that nations are raising colossal 11th level magical strikes, strikes home.

On Krynn, the news is heard, and the medieval peoples of that world fall silent.

On Athas, the fierce and warlike people of that world, too, also fall silent.

On Mystara and in the Hollow World, all activity stops, a hush descending over the myriad cultures and peoples of that world.

On Oerth, the grim realization that the Secret Retreats are now exposed, that there is no safety to be had, nowhere to run, no place to hide, no way to escape, sinks in. Silence falls.

- - -

Gleams of blue, silver, purple, and red light up the trees, shrugs, even the buildings, across many worlds.
The sky over Oerth turns a strange reddish color, then fills with multicolored clouds, with purple lightning streaking from cloud to cloud.

On Mystara, the ground begins to tremble.
Volcanoes start to steam and hiss.
Sudden windstorms spring frantically to life, thrashing the trees, tossing the corn in the fields, shaking houses and manors alike.
Unnatural waves slosh across the oceans, causing serious coastal flooding worldwide.

On Athas, the Cerulean Storm begins to build.
Already colossal, it grows greater, it's hurricane force winds extending outward, torrents of hail falling from the clouds, lashing the desert, killing those caught outdoors and exposed.
Meanwhile, a feeling of revulsion comes up from the interior of Athas - a feeling of rage and abhorrence.
Rajaat is using 11th level Defiling Magic.

On Oerth, the flow of Oerthblood increases, and here too, quakes begin.
Perhaps the very world itself senses what is coming, and is shaking in terror. That is a possibility.

On Toril, the green sky slowly turns a grayish color, streaked with gleams of silver.
The gleams of silver increase in size and number, becoming like great clouds of silver light.
Below the strange sky, a deathly hush is felt.
No wind stirs. No leaf moves. No birds sing. No insects give their assorted noises.

- - -

Klazoms blare. Alarms sound.
Men and women, beings of all types, scramble from their bunkers and barracks, streaming towards every kind of weapons system.
Starships power up, their fusion beams warming up, antimatter missiles checked and ready.
Computer targeting systems come online, their magical backup ensuring a near 100 percent chance the target will be hit.
Antimatter bombs are readied by the thousands, placed on Worldwalk Platforms, Teleport Platforms.
Groundpounders are readied.
Thermonuclear weapons in the gigatons each are readied, the tops coming off of silos, missile launchers raising their cargoes upward, satellites preparing to disgorge their deadly contents.

Disintegration beams are powered up, antimatter transporters power up, particle cannons glow brilliant blue from the energy feeding into them.

11th level magic, has incredible power.
That incredible power, is pouring into the minds of many beings now, being stored, being accumulated, being grown to a force of destruction so colossal it beggars the Rain of Colorless Fire.
The energy becomes titanic, impossibly great, beyond the imagination of most to even contemplate, and still it goes on growing, becoming ever more terrible, ever more dire, it's promise of destruction shaking the very worlds on which it is being held and built up.

Defenses are activated.
Toril blurs and becomes brown looking from space, as worldwide shields of 11th level magic are activated to protect it.
Great shields go up around cities.
Greater shields go up around military bases and all strategic points.
Great shields, multiple shields, shields against everything, shields against any and every conceivable kind of attack.
Special contingency spells go off, giving people magical defenses to survive various kinds of attack, to withstand nuclear fire and disintegration and prismatic destruction.

Similar defenses go up on Mystara, as the Immortals put forth all their strength to protect themselves and their world.

On Krynn, Mina calls on the One God, and begins erecting defenses of strange nature.
Mindspin alterations occur over vast areas, while enormous armadas of the Dead appear, to protect the world of Krynn from the coming war.

- - -

There is a sense of unreality about all this, to most people in Realmspace.
It cannot be happening.
Shock is widespread. People sit, stunned, in their homes, not thinking, not even wondering.
Disbelief, denial, and confusion are almost universal.
Where the reality is setting in, there is panic, terror, or just great sadness.

On Oerth, even the war-hardened people of that world seem confused, seem to be in shock, and many are in denial.
Most are sad, grieving, or openly weeping.

On Krynn, Mystara, and Athas, there is confusion, disbelief, and bewilderment.
What happened?
Why is this happening?
They never even knew about this until now. How could this happen? How could this be happening?
They didn't even know there WAS an Oerth until a few days ago (a few months on Krynn.) Or a Toril. Or an Athas. Or a Mystara. Or a Shade Empire. Or a United Commonwealth.
They know they are in grave danger, that Armaggedon is looming over them, and they do not even know who is threatening them.
They do not know why they are being threatened.
They wish they knew what they did, that this sudden disaster is about to come down on them all.

What did they do? Why is this happening?
What? WHAT? Why? Why? WHY?!!

Where did it all go wrong?

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
I have a fourth declaration of Attack.
I have a fourth declaration of Defense.

The first trickle of people into the imagined safety of the shelters set up by the Church of Mercy begins.

Last edited:

Uvenelei

First Post
The Republic of Selune does not recognize a Humanoid Alliance led by military force. All relations with any new militaristic Humanoid Alliance state are severed, including trade. Should the Humanoid Alliance democratically elect a government that desires to remain seperate from the UC, then, and only then, will Selune recognize the new Humanoid government.

The same goes for the Eternal Empire, which has allied itself with Iuz.

zouron

First Post
OOC: where did it go wrong? heh you gave players the chance to actually control and obtain powers beyond our imagination hehe.

*In places beyond the thick mist in a small pocket beyond the cries of the magic tearing apart reality of Oerth, Athas, Krynn, Toril, Mystara, and many other worlds, is a realm that appears mostly like the result of the war yet to come, in the dark domain a single being captured by its own will.
The Being gazes at the swirling mist before it, the magic almost revitalizing the being in a way no mortal would be able to resist, the being seemingly feasting just on the pale images of the magical might.
It laughs, the being laugh at the destruction about to be unleashed, it laughs seeing the thousands of living and dead trembling beneath the almost divine powers, it laughs seeing the panic and desperation spreads, seeing the thousands of cities crumble under the panicing masses.
It silence itself for a moment just as the last grain of sand floats out of the hourglass, excitement running through its vains and its voice speaks out, cold and chilling sending shivers to the single ear hearing it.*

Enthropy comes, Chaos comes.
Fight and die, run and perish.
Live to die, die to vanish.
Listen to the void, forever is now.

*the Being sits down in a imaginary chair and watches the horrors only the elder ones and itself could imagine unfold before it.

Remove ads