• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(IR) IR Interlude Turn 6 - Turn 7 (thread 4)

Serpenteye

First Post
Kalanyr said:
OOC- Serpenteye you don't have the humanoids yet, so assuming control of them already is really weird. (And is quiet likely to lead to Edena assuming you have them which is probably your intent ;) ) (However since you getting another helping of 11th and makeing me the only power without free 11th and a massive PL boost with the same is not on my agenda, I'll just point this out. :p )

Hmm, I thought you had 11th level magics. Everyone is supposed to have it, apparently. Didn't the Angels give it to you by casting a wish? At least, that's how Venus and William got it.
I might not have the generals yet, but Edena said we were their closest allies and would control the Humanoids if the revolution succeeds, so it makes sence that we speak for them.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
The DM considers all the posts above, carefully, reading every word.
Then he considers the matter.

Unfortunately, folks, the Third Touch is heavily influencing everyone towards anger and violence.
This is the domino effect - anger and violence strength the Mists, which strengthen anger and violence.

This does not mean the Mists will win, but ... in this case ... it does mean that Mr. Draco and Serpenteye HAVE won.

The humanoids of the Humanoid State were very unhappy with the overthrow of their elected government and the establishment of a military dictatorship, yes.
Had a peaceful resolution been attempted - some would argue that such a thing was impossible, but nevertheless - it is possible the military that pulled the coup would have surrendered peacefully (it does happen - indeed, it just happened IRL in a country in the western hemisphere.)

However, now the Humanoid Alliance is under a conventional assault.
The humanoids are taken by surprise, then they are angered.
The anger rapidly spreads: the United Commonwealth is INVADING their country. I stress the Their.
They have come to think of these lands as theirs, regardless of who the rulership is (formerly, any reasonable government - now, any humanoid government.)
Now, THEIR lands are under attack, their racial people are being killed by other races, their bases are being overrun.

The poisoned words of Mr. Draco and Serpenteye make a big difference, causing the anger to flare up much higher, gasoline poured on the fire causing it to explode.
All the accusations against Forrester, and the anger over his mistreatment (as they see it), and all the unfounded lying rumors (many believed) all add into the situation.

Part of the Torilian Border Guard - the humanoid part - revolts, allowing the Union of the Worlds to send forces to the aid of the Humanoid Alliance.

The moment that happens, all bets are off.
This is a direct interference in Realmspace, and in Realmspace affairs, by a Power from Greyspace.
From the point of view of the United Commonwealth, this is an act of war - unless Reprisal specifically declares it otherwise.

As soldiers and mages of the Union of the Worlds come to their aid, the rebel generals fight back against the invaders from the United Commonwealth.
To their aid come nearly ALL the common soldiers of the Humanoid Alliance, who have decided to support the rebels (for the reason, see above.)

The civilian population of the Humanoid State, which HAD denounced the coup, now enthusiastically supports it.

As a result, the marines find themselves walking into heavy resistance from the Humanoid State, backed by help from the foreigners from the Union of the Worlds on Oerth.
The conventional assault of the United Commonwealth is driven back to their beachheads, and forced offshore.
The rebels use no weapons of mass destruction or 11th level magic ... yet.

The rebellion I am considering successful.

I am giving control of the Humanoid Alliance to Mr. Draco and Serpenteye.
You gain 40,000 PL, which the United Commonwealth of Toril immediately loses.
((I will alter the Lists immediately.))

You may state Attacks and Defenses for the Humanoid Alliance, starting immediately.
Remember to e-mail me privately concerning the target, who is being defended, and the strength of the attack (1 through 4 ... it takes more than one day to launch anything greater than a 4.)

The REST of the United Commonwealth of Toril quiets down.
Martial law and the highly trained, and highly loyal, army of the United Commonwealth quickly brings the peace back into riot-torn cities.
Order is restored.
Of course, the economy grinds to a halt.
Businesses close. Trade ceases. Spelljammers halt where they are. Starships halt where they are.
That is the problem with Martial Law - it quells the trouble, but it has it's own price.

- - -

TO MELKOR

The Red Robe figure regards Melkor, and laughs - and it is not a good laugh.
The figure speaks:

So, we are fools?
We gave you the chance, Melkor.
We gave you the chance to be the ruler over ALL these pathetic beings.
We gave you the chance to rule a Domain the size of four Crystal Spheres.

We had our price, yes. We always have our price. You know that. Everyone knows that.

We believe our price was not as high as the price you will pay at the hands of your enemies, without any hope of reward.

You have chosen, Melkor.

You have chosen. The Mirror is denied to you (and, the Mirror disappears, right then and there.)

You shall be returned, unharmed, to your former self.
Your Shade and Red Army we shall not touch, for you have prohibited it.

The red robed figure then looks at Melkor, with a GRIM, TERRIBLE look of anticipation and malevolence. It speaks in a gloating, yet angry, tone:

We will watch in glee as your Shade are exterminated.
We will watch in glee as your Red Army is exterminated.
We will watch in glee as they take you, Melkor.

And if they throw you into Ravenloft, AS THEY CAN DO WITH A SIMPLE TELEPORT SPELL, then WE WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU, MELKOR.

And, we will remember that we were called fools.
We will remember that our offer was spurned.
We will remember all your actions and words.

You will not receive a Domain.
You will not receive gifts.
You will not receive a cracked copper from us.

You will be in the Domain of ANOTHER Darklord, and that Darklord will be supreme in his Domain.

We will watch him hunt you down, Melkor.
We will watch him take you, Melkor.
We will watch him break you, Melkor, as a dry piece of rotten wood is broken.
We will relish every scream out of your mouth.

We will watch as you are made into an undead, Melkor.

Then, we will enjoy your eternal ((and they mean it, folks)) servitude to the Darklord.
A servitude never to be broken, not by ANY Power or being, for the rest of all eternity.

Thus, you will learn wisdom.
Unfortunately for you, wisdom will come too late.

And with that, the figure disappears, and Melkor is hurled back upward.
The experience is akin to being shot out of a cannon - Melkor rockets back out of the musty dungeon, back through the Plane of Shadow, back through the Abyss, back through the Astral, all in a few seconds.
Then he passes through deep darkness, and light glimmers ahead.
The light grows, objects appear, blurred and unrecognizable.
Then the light grows even stronger, the blurring stops, and Melkor realizes he is back.

Still sitting in the chair.
Only a few minutes have passed, and his servitors state that for those few minutes Melkor appeared - to them - to be in a trance.

Melkor is unharmed.

For now.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
TO EVERYONE IN THE IR - URGENT, READ!

A lot of you have stated your Attacks and Defenses along with your Templates or in other e-mails.
Due to the flood of e-mails I have coming in, I cannot locate and keep track of your statements, and I MUST BE ABLE to do so.

Therefore, I need all of you to do the following:

THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE ALREADY SENT ME YOUR STATED ATTACKS / DEFENSES ... RESEND THEM USING THE TEMPLATE BELOW.

THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE YET TO SEND ME YOUR STATED ATTACKS / DEFENSES ... SEND THEM USING THE TEMPLATE BELOW.

- - -

THE TEMPLATE:

First of all, for the title of your e-mail, put: Attack / Defense Day 1.

Then follow the following procedure:

I am stating a Defense of (1 through 4 - look at the Dueling Rules.)
I am Defending ( (myself) or (name of player being defended.) )

I am stating an Attack of (1 through 4 - look at the Dueling Rules.)
I am Attacking (name of player being attacked.)

Remember, once you state who you are attacking, it can NEVER be changed.
It cannot be changed even if you hold your Attack from day to day.

To change who you are Attacking, you MUST drop your Attack at the end of the day, wasting it, and start over on the next day declaring a new Attack (and your Category level resets to 0 when you do this.)

Defenses are considered held automatically, until you voluntarily discharge them for no reason (which is probably foolish), or you are the subject of an Attack - that ALWAYS discharges your ENTIRE Defense, resetting your Power to Category 0.

Mr. Draco and Serpenteye - and ONLY Mr. Draco and Serpenteye - may double up.
Each of them may mount a Defense, and use it to protect the Union of Oerth (or someone else), and each of them may mount an Attack (combined against a single enemy, or as two separate, and weaker, Attacks.)

Mr. Draco and Serpenteye now have control of the Humanoid Alliance.
They must declare to me who the Humanoid Alliance is Attacking, and whether the Humanoid Alliance mounts a Defense.

EXAMPLE OF TEMPLATE:

Imagine I am Creamsteak, for a moment. Here is a potential Template.

-

Title of e-mail:

Attack / Defense day 1.

What is written in the e-mail:

I declare a Defense of 4 (I am spending all of day 1 of Turn 7 creating it.)
I am Defending myself.

I declare an Attack of 4 (I am spending all of day 1 of Turn 7 creating it.)
I am Attacking Melkor.

IF I CANNOT OBTAIN ATTACKS AND DEFENSES FOR DAY 1 IN THIS MANNER, I WILL DECLARE NO ATTACKS OR DEFENSES OCCUR ON DAY 1.
I WILL RESET ALL POWERS BACK TO CATEGORY 0 - THEY MUST START BUILDING UP THEIR STRENGTH ALL OVER.
THEN, WE WILL TRY AGAIN - ON DAY 2.

- - -

The above does NOT MEAN you must launch Attacks!!!

War is NOT inevitable.

There is ALWAYS a diplomatic solution.

The Cuban Missile Crisis is a case in point.

You do NOT HAVE to begin this war.
You are not required to commit mass destruction.
You are not required to attempt to obliterate other nations and other peoples.

You are not required to start a holocaustic intergalactic war involving 11th level magic and weapons of mass destruction.

There is ALWAYS a diplomatic solution.

This is the 11th hour. Midnight is approaching.
But it is not Midnight yet.
Not yet.

However, as DM I will arbitrate whatever you send me.
I am neutral in this - whatever you do, I will simply arbitrate it.
Whether you successfully negotiate a peace, or you start that intergalactic war, I will arbitrate.

I merely want to state that even now, you have choices.
It may SEEM to you that you are in an inevitable slide towards Armaggedon.
It is up to YOU to decide whether Armaggedon occurs, or a negotiated peace occurs.

Now, I need those Attack/Defense e-mails ...

It's all up to you, folks. Up to you.

Edena_of_Neith

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
THE START OF TURN 7

The start of Turn 7 is 26 hours away.

READ THE ARTICLE ABOVE.

RESEND (OR SEND) YOUR ATTACK/DEFENSE ROUTINES BY THE TEMPLATE SHOWN.

I will repost the above article again and again in this thread.
I want everyone to see it, and see it over and over if needed.

- - -

I regret I have not been able to answer your e-mails.
Unfortunately, I have some trouble at home, and my time online has been very limited.

- - -

Reprisal, I am not rushing things.
Indeed, these are my first posts in more than 24 hours.
Unfortunately, Reprisal, the Humanoid Alliance does break away.
Who is to blame for that? Well, me, of course. I am the DM, so the blame falls on me.

However, I had help in making my dark ruling.

The Mists helped, in their alteration of people's mindsets.
Mr. Draco and Serpenteye, helped me a great deal.
All the deliberate, inflammatory statements about Forrester helped.
The fact the Forrester matter was not resolved - quickly - made matters worse, and it played right into the capable hands of Mr. Draco and Serpenteye.

Edena_of_Neith

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
The DM sighs, and does his job.

- - -

Everyone has early warning stations, alert to the mass buildup of 11th level magic by another Power.

Thus, whenever someone secretly states to me they are mounting a Defense, I (as previously stated) will reveal this here.
I will not reveal who is Defending, or who they are Defending.

Whenever someone secretly states to me they are preparing an Attack, I (as previously stated) will reveal this here.
I will not reveal who is Attacking, or who they intend to Attack.

You may attempt to discover the answers to all the above questions with your own 11th level magic.
You have a 1 in 3 chance of success.
If you succeed, you learn ALL the information above.

If you fail, I will not tell you that you failed.
Instead, I will give you a completely false (but as believable as I can make it) set of information.

If a Power is deliberately spreading disinformation, all attempts to discover the Attack/Defense routines of that Power are automatically successful - that is, the FALSE information is automatically discovered.

Of course, I will not tell you it is false information.

You have a 1 in 3 chance of seeing through the false information, and discovering the truth.

I roll all dice to determine success or failure.

- - -

- - -

- - -

I have a Declaration of Defense.
I have a second Declaration of Defense.

I have a Declaration of Attack.
I have a second Declaration of Attack.

Last edited:

Mr. Draco

First Post
Edena, can we declare to build up a defense or attack? So that we can choose the target of the attack later, and the same with the defense?

Also, does the Union of Oerth and the Humanoid alliance count as one target for the purposes of 11th? If not, then do the other Oerthian powers allied with 11th level Torrilian powers also count as two targets?

[edit]- Edena, in acquiring about 1/3 of the PL of the UC, do we also get about 1/3 of the PL of their City of the Gods research, planar arms race, construct arms race, nuclear weapons, and monster arms race?

Last edited:

Mr. Draco

First Post
"Erika Lesage! Now that the people of the Humanoid state have chosen to stand with their generals and with the Union of Oerth, will you continue this assault?"

"Or will you orders your troops to halt and return to their bases, thereby upholding the ideals of your government in allowing people to make their own choices?"

"This need not be the start of a horrible war between us. It can be, if you so choose. However if you choose that, then you will have violated the principals of freedom of choice that your govenment is built upon. You will also have signed a death sentance for billions."

"If you stop the assault, we can go back to neutral diplomatic standings."

"So how choose you, Lesage, daughter of Payne?"

Serpenteye

First Post

And that, my friends, makes it all legitimate.

The God Emperor speaks once again to the Torillian press and a large crowd of humanoids:

"The battle is won, but the war is still raging. The revolution, the military and popular uprising against the United Commonwealth, has succeeded. The people are firmly behind their leaders and the soldiers of the aggressors are being driven out of Humanoid territory. We are victorious!"

The God Emperor pauses while the crowd cheers.

"Now it is time to end this war. I know a lot of you want nothing more than to drive the Commonwealth scum of the planet entirely, but this is is not the time for that. The mists of the Domains of Dread are growing stronger for every passing day. For every death, for every cry of rage, they grow stronger, even your hatred, though justified, brings us closer. This is not the time for war, but a time for healing. Your country takes its first proud steps into the future, and if we act wisely that future can be eternal. You can be eternal.
The scientists of the Union of Worlds have unlocked the secrets of immortality. You, your friends and your children can all live forever, if you so desire. Our future is eternal, if we act wisely, if we choose peace.
But that is not just our choice to make, our enemies must also choose peace over war, life over death, Realmspace over Ravenloft.
Erika Lesange, you have been defeated, your empire has been diminished, but you yet live. Your people yet live and your precious power is still considerable. All is not yet lost, but it will be if you continue fighting the people of the Humanoid Alliance. You know about the dangers of the mists, you know about the Red Scourge and the Red Death. You should realise that further fighting is pointless. Acknowledge the unconditional sovereignty of the Humanoid Alliance. Sign our treaty of peace and we can yet prevent the dark threat looming over the horizon."

Serpenteye

First Post
Mr. Draco said:

[edit]- Edena, in acquiring about 1/3 of the PL of the UC, do we also get about 1/3 of the PL of their City of the Gods research, planar arms race, construct arms race, nuclear weapons, and monster arms race?

Also, how many of the demiplanes of the UC do we gain? 1/3?

Remove ads