Iron Heroes General Discussion: why do you like or dislike Iron Heroes?

Tolen Mar

First Post
Our group is playtesting his errata (he has more than has been posted.)

As far as who he is? I dont know, he just kinda appeared out of the blue with a nod from Monte (at least thats all I know of him). I think somewhere it was mentioned he was in one of the first playtest groups.

Nyaricus

First Post
thanks for the great feedback so far guys! this is excellent!

I have a few comments though.

1) I have to say that i love it that IH characters dont have to rely on magic items and magic to do everything a PC can do. I am building a campaign that is very tolkien-esque with many real world mythological, folklore-ish, and legendary ties, and i think that this has mechanics for me to work with.

2) I personally do understand that heroes are supposed to be epic and all - but why oh why do all classes get +1 to all saves per level, other than low magic item dependancy? I personlly liked the different progressions presented in 3.x D&D.

What i would impliment IMC (which would mix in a lot of IH, hopefully) is to have a major, middle and minor saving throws. Most classes would have this pre-determined, but say for example you wanted a monk IMC (i don't allow this, but lets go with it) you'd have to choose a high, low and middle saving throw. So you could be a quick (major) and hardy (medium) monk that doesn't have alot of willpower (minor). Or you coulc choose another array.

So would that work with Iron Heroes, assuming +20 (major) +15 (middle) and +10 (minor) saving throing at 20th level?

3) I am hearing a few complaints about armour. Personally, I would keep in static bonuses for armour, as this would a) speed up combat b) solve any sort of problems there is with similar dice-roles for DR and finally c) allow me to keep quite a few key house rules that i am rather fond of :)

4) Token Points seem so cool yet I too am a bit thrown off by them. I suppose further reading will solve this though . . .

5) Feat Masteries. NexusX and i over in House Rules are trying to make 4 level (with 5th level Epic Feat) feat chains and Iron Heroes will probably end up helping me with this. I just haven't had enough time to check over what is in IH to see how much of an impact it will be.

Other than that, thanks again for the great feedback, and i can't wait to hear more!

Tolen Mar said:
As far as who he is? I dont know, he just kinda appeared out of the blue with a nod from Monte (at least thats all I know of him). I think somewhere it was mentioned he was in one of the first playtest groups.

^_^

Crowroadaw is none other than Adam Windsor, author of Dark Harbor...some of you folks here really ought to recognize him as an ENWorlder under a different name....

Tolen Mar - I'm in agreement with you on the armiger. It plays great as a class as written - I'm playing one now.

Tolen Mar

First Post
Well, there you go, answered better than I could.

And thanx Varianor, I'm glad to hear I'm not just a lone nut holding his ground.
I play Baron Jean de Seguzzo, an armiger also. I like the RAW, but I've been testing out the new stuff.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Nyaricus said:
2) I personally do understand that heroes are supposed to be epic and all - but why oh why do all classes get +1 to all saves per level, other than low magic item dependancy?

The NPC classes don't, so most people in the world don't. The PCs are simply BADASS. For what it is worth.

Gundark

Explorer
in the conversion document. It spoke of if I wanted to bring IH characters to a standard fantsy world to double the # of tokens that an ability takes to use. Is this a good fix? Also it seems to me a bit that combats might take a little too long, with the extra things that everybody can do in a combat round. How much longer are we talking?

Tolen Mar

First Post
Combats dont usually take any longer than before unless everyone is new to the game.

Once you've gotten a few sessions under your belt and understand how things work, its all too simple to get going. The biggest difference is that once you need tokens to do something, you might step back for a round or two and do your token building. Think of it as taking a potion in 3.x, when you need it, you take the extra round to do it, and then dive back in.

As for importing IH characters into core, I dont know, Ive only done it once. I played an archer in an arcana evolved game, and it lasted so short a time (the campaign) that I'm not sure how we handled it.

Imret

First Post
arscott and monboesen said a lot of what I was thinking. No more magic item dependance, more impressive characters...and yet, sword & sorcery doesn't appeal to me, and the magic system is shaky at best.

I like feat chains, I like less shoe-horned classes...but then I play with the UA generic classes...and I -love- the token pools for more impressive abilities.

I find that Iron Heroes, like just about every supplement to enter my hot little hands in the past couple months, provides me with some awesome material to integrate into my homebrew setting/rules set, but isn't -quite- exactly what I wanted.

Sidebar: I hear rumors about a thread to adapt Iron Heroes and Elements of Magic:ME together. If this is true, could someone link me?

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
I really like the look of IH, but haven't got to playing or running it just yet.

Soon enough though, I'll be using it for a Drenai campaign. :)

However, I will be house-ruling a few things, and adding in some magic and/or psychic abilities etc. from elsewhere.

For some styles of campaign, IH could be just right as is (IMO) but for others (such as the forementioned), it really does need some magical/mystical/psionic support. Again, IMO. And all from what I've read and heard, only.

By the sounds of it Nyaricus, your own campaign world might benefit from adding in some other third-party rules and house rules, to better cover the magical side of things.

edit --- This site has some interesting stuff. Might be useful. I'll see if I can relocate some of the others I've seen, too.

Last edited:

Remove ads