Iron Heroes General Discussion: why do you like or dislike Iron Heroes?

Aus_Snow

First Post
jasin: You're pretty much on the money with Conan, but that's not the only species of Sword & Sorcery out there.

This wiki on S&S gives a brief but fair rundown of the subgenre, with some links to further info.

I might just add too, that IH appears (to me) to be well suited to subgenres of fantasy other than S&S. ymmv etc.

Last edited:

Nyaricus

First Post
Sword and Sorcery is the company that published IH, i beleive he was referring to that, lol.

If not, pardon my misinterpretation of a misinterpretation :lol:.

Nyaricus

First Post
Particle_Man said:
The NPC classes don't, so most people in the world don't. The PCs are simply BADASS. For what it is worth.
oh, okay, makes sense. I still need to (and DAMN do i want to) pick up the other splatbooks for IH.

Tolen_Mar said:
Once you've gotten a few sessions under your belt and understand how things work, its all too simple to get going. The biggest difference is that once you need tokens to do something, you might step back for a round or two and do your token building. Think of it as taking a potion in 3.x, when you need it, you take the extra round to do it, and then dive back in.
i figure we will need a couple sessions to get used to it, but hey, that's fine with me. I am just glad that most are saying between one and 4 will do it for getting into the new rules.

@ Partical Man - thans for those links. I don't have EoM, but i plan on getting it, ASAP. Damn not having a credit card yet though . . . [question: are those availiable as books, or just as pdf's?]

@ruleslawyer - thanks for your indepth analysis of IH. More and more I am liking the sounds of it :D. I personally don't mind that PC's are WAY more powerful - they are supposed to be epic after all; and not in the way D&D (poorly) defines it.

Tolen Mar said:
Two interesting things happened to our group when we switched to IH:

1) we became much more interested in the acquisition of treasure. We need gold for our ale and whores dad blast it!

2) we roleplay more now than we did previously. With all the kewl new social skill stunts and what not, we often at least try to fast talk our way out of a fight. Our characters are a lot more developed as well, as they are so much less a collection of rules bits and actual characters.

1) sounds neat! standard treasure (gold and jools) is so often disregarded that it rarely is funny; with Iron Heros, if that can be solved, then great.

2) I like this even more! Character development is very important IMO, and i know if i were a player i'd be able to help, but as DM, that isn't happening as well as possible.

anyways, I have been talking with 3 of my players (the more experienced ones) with whom i was planning to simply have a heavily house ruled D&D campaign in my campaign settign with me as a player, and on of them as a DM. In a surprizing turn of event's, i am convincing them to try out Iron Heroes for this campaign, and see where it goes. Who knows; perhaps we will never go back! or maybe i wil see what i can HR into my own game. all i can say is that NO magic items and trule heroic charcters fit my campaign SO much better than standard D&D.

Let the discussions continue!!

Imret

First Post
I'm fairly sure arscott meant the genre, but that could just be because there are no capitals. :D

Aus, I find myself agreeing with you fairly often on these boards, so I'm curious what other subgenres IH lends itself to in your eyes. When I read it, I see sword & sorcery in my head. I can't really see dark ages, gritty, survival by the skin of your teeth fantasy, unless the PCs are meant to be the saviours of the current age.

I suppose this might be because the arcanist seems to...lack something, and the "converting Eom:ME to IH" thread Particle_Man so graciously linked for me kind of becomes a "let's write a brand new magic system for IH" thread fairly quickly. Thus, IH sort of slides into a pigeonhole through no fault of its own. If I could attach a good, generic, easily "personalized" magic system to it, it could easily take the place of me having to write a heavily modified 3.5 ruleset and allow me a lot more time to write setting.

Remove ads