Iron Kingdoms Campaign Guide .pdf preview - Gun Mage Core Class - spell list added

tetsujin28

First Post
Olive said:

Aren't confrontation minis a bigger scale than the normal 25/28/30mm ones?
Confrontation are pretty consistent at 28mil. They scale well with GW figs, not so well with older ones such as Parthas, or the 25mm LoTR figs.

tetsujin28

First Post
NoOneofConsequence said:
I've just been contemplating a gun mage character and have a question -

does anyone else think that they've mixed up the spells known and the spells per day table, or have I just got the wrong end of the stick?:(

Ignore that question - I just realised that they've used the bard spell list.

New question - isn't 2 skill points/level a little low?
I also noticed that the list isn't updated for 3.5. The list isn't the same as the bards -- bards don't get fireball :D There are some strange absences: seems like Scorching Ray should be on there, but that's a 3.5 spell.

2 points/level does seem a bit low, seeing as the class isn't as flexible as either the wizard or sorcerer.

D.Shaffer

First Post
She's not QUITE a Gun mage, but could probably stand in for one, and she's from the same setting to boot. ;)

haley.jpg

This gentleman should be in mini form soon...and he IS a gunmage. It's a bit dark and thus hard to make out details, unfortunately.

book_caine.jpg

Anyone interested in Iron Kingdoms should check out the War Machine line of minis. :)

D.Shaffer said:
This gentleman should be in mini form soon...and he IS a gunmage. It's a bit dark and thus hard to make out details, unfortunately.

I have seen this guy's preview I believe - I think he has TWO guns blazing - let me see if I can find the pic...

tetsujin28

First Post
Having studied the class more closely, I think it's underpowered.

On the plus side, you get a slightly better hit die, and cleric's BAB progression, arcane focus (eschew materials, but 99 times more effective!).

On the minus side is what is supposed to be the Gun Mage's raison d'etre, rune bullets. Why would I focus a 3rd level spell in my gun, just to get an extra 3d6? A fireball's far more effective as a fireball, the same for magic missile. Unless -- and this would make the class worthwhile -- this is in addition to the spell's normal effect. Then we're talking something special.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
tetsujin28 said:
On the minus side is what is supposed to be the Gun Mage's raison d'etre, rune bullets. Why would I focus a 3rd level spell in my gun, just to get an extra 3d6? A fireball's far more effective as a fireball, the same for magic missile. Unless -- and this would make the class worthwhile -- this is in addition to the spell's normal effect. Then we're talking something special.

One word: Criticals.

2d6 normal bullet damage +3d6 runebullet damage with a 19-20 X3 Crit range equals a decent shot at 15d6 damage every once in a while. That's pretty outstanding.

On another note - the PDF lists two bonus feats but doesn't give any info on them: Combat Loading and Improved Combat Loading. I can guess what they might be, but does anyone know for certain?

tetsujin28

First Post
I'm assuming that the extra dice do not multiply on criticals, which is standard d20. And a pistol by the DMG does d10, not 2d6, and scores a critical threat on a 20/x3, not 19/x3 (may be different for Iron Kingdoms).

Last edited:

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
tetsujin28 said:
I'm assuming that the extra dice do not multiply on criticals, which is standard d20. And a pistol by the DMG does d10, not 2d6, and scores a critical threat on a 20/x3, not 19/x3 (may be different for Iron Kingdoms).

Hmm.. Good point on the +3d6, I wasn't thinking of it that way. And the damage/crit range I mentioned are from the IK gun rules. So you'd actually be looking at a potential 9d6 damage - still pretty decent for a crit, though not as good as I had originally thought.

tetsujin28

First Post
True, 9d6 is certainly nothing to sneeze at. However, the gun mage doesn't even get 3rd level spells such as fireball 'till 7th level. So assuming you're correct, he can either take a chance on getting a critical for 9d6 on one target (assuming a confirmed critical threat, followed by a successful touch attack), or do 7d6 to everything in a large area with a save for half. I'd take the fireball, everytime. Especially since the gun mage doesn't have to memorize spells. If he did, the option to fire, say, an identify for an extra d6 would be pretty handy. But since he can always fire whatever combat spells he wants, as long as he still has slots, it makes sense to me to run it the way I posted earlier.

BTW, did anyone else notice there's no mention of arcane failure for the gun mage :D Add in a level of fighter to get some real armour, and you're wrecking some major havok.

Remove ads