(IRR) The Other Industrial Revolutions

Creamsteak

Explorer
This is a thread to talk about having an Industrial Refolution in Rokugan. I will try and explain what I was thinking about.

It is also for Forsaken Ones game, and Anabsters game. They should talk about thier stuff also.

Last edited:

Tokiwong

First Post
Rokugan sounds cool... ooooh.... can I be the Crane can I.. can I... or the Unicorn... oh joy... Long live the Moto...

Tokiwong

First Post
I would be interested on being at the ground zero of this project... hell if no oen else wants to I coudl try the moderation madness...

Anabstercorian

First Post
There was a world, once.

Now, that world is dying.

This world is a world of magic and endless power, but it has been crushed under its own weight and vast wars.

Storms are brewing, Stormgates connecting this world... to another world.

In this other world, magic is unknown, and there is only one sentient species - Humanity. They live on the brink of nuclear extinction, on the knifeedge of nuclear war. Conspiracies control nations, Metal Gears hold nuclear bullets to the heads of a planet. Heroes are all but unknown.

Earth is about to meet a dead world. In the seas, in the skies of Earth, vast storms are brewing. Other worlds are about to step through, in to Earth, and conflict will result. The conspiracies of earth will struggle against the naked power of elven magic, dwarven smithery, and orcish savagery.

A dark cult is arising on Earth, the cult of the Demipower Melkor, the bleak lord of Oblivion. What are they?

A vast conflict is about to enter Earth.

On the side of Earth are the nations and the conspiracies. The Patriots, controlling most of the western hemisphere. The Cult of Melkor, controlling vast hordes of crazed cultists ready to die for Nothing. The Academians, corporate spies representing the secret power structure of the Universities across the world. CalTech, MIT, Brown, Harvard, all are member of the Academians, who control vast influence and creative power. The Illuminati, who desire to control the world with their ruthless, Illuminated Eye.

On the side of Otherworld, there are the Elves, magical arcanists who live centuries. There are the Dwarves, miners who live beneath the earth and are blessed with incredible martial skill. There are the Orcs, savage humanoids who desire to send all of Earth in to pre-civilized feral glory. There are the Dragons, an ancient race who lives in secret, burns with fire, and bows to no one.

And far to the side are the Planars. The Angels, the Daemons, the Slaadi, and the Formians, representing Good, Evil, Chaos, and Law. The Elementals. The Ethereal. The Astral.

Pick a side and prepare for havoc.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Well where should I look for Daigotsu in my book? I know where most of the information is... and I have to work on some lists posts and so forth. Tokiwong, if you know a lot more about the story, then you can be moderator. I'll find some group to be. I was working on some rules, I'll post them below, tell me what you think. Keep in mind that I'm Betaing stuff right now.

Well... the below file doesn't show everything lined up right, so use the word version that I will attach in yet a third post in a row.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
The Rokugan Industrial Revolution

The Rokugan Industrial Revolution is a strategy game based on the Rokugan Campaign Setting. The concepts, ideas, and references are all based on the Oriental Adventures D20 sourcebook. This add-on book is the only resource a player needs in order to fully understand the Rokugan Industrial Revolution. Wars will be fought with magic, technological, and teeth in order to bring sanctity or ruin to the world.

Rule #1: The Industrial Arms Race

The Industrial Arms Race is the basis for gaining power in this game. Your rank in the Industrial Arms Race shows how fast you can train troops; build weapons, and research magic. Each school, country, and army you claim will have an Industrial Rank between 1 and 21 to start. Each of these Ranks represents a certain degree of industrialization. A Clan School has a Rank of 10, while a minor town has a rank of 1. The different Industrial Ranks of different territories will be in the first lists post.

Your Industrial Rating also determines how much food your infrastructure can accommodate. Namely, your PL cannot exceed triple your Industrial Rank without causing starvation. Starvation affects your Attack/Defense scores (see rule #4).

The Industrial Rank (IR) of each territory determines how much strength a territory can produce per turn. Below is a table that shows exactly how high your Industrial Rank needs to be in order to produce a different amount of PL per turn. The Equation I chose is the simplest diminishing returns formula you can use:

x(1/2x + 0.5) = Rank Required
Where x = the PL production per turn

Rank PL Increase (Per Turn) Rank PL Increase Per Turn
0 +0 351 +26
1 +1 378 +27
3 +2 406 +28
6 +3 435 +29
10 +4 465 +30
15 +5 496 +31
21 +6 528 +32
28 +7 561 +33
36 +8 595 +34
45 +9 630 +35
55 +10 666 +36
66 +11 703 +37
78 +12 741 +38
91 +13 780 +39
105 +14 820 +40
120 +15 861 +41
136 +16 903 +42
153 +17 946 +43
171 +18 990 +44
190 +19 1035 +45
210 +20 1081 +46
231 +21 1128 +47
253 +22 1176 +48
276 +23 1225 +49
300 +24 1275 +50
325 +25 1326 +51

Earlier I said that territories start with only a Rank from 1-21. So how do Ranks go down to 0 or above 21? Well, that can be solved by a number of methods. In the IR you must spend Power Level (PL) each turn in order to increase your Industrial Rating (IR). There are a number of factors that affect this. Below is a table that describes the most common methods of altering your IR.

Industrial Arms Modifier Rank Change
Spending 10 PL to advance your Rank +1 to each territory
Gaining 10th Level Magic +10 to each territory
Gaining 11th Level Magic +100 to each territory
Gaining 12th Level Magic +1000 to each territory
War Damage (fighting occurred here) -2 per 10 PL fighting
Nuclear or Cataclysm Level Damage -10 per Nuke/Cataclysm
Thermonuclear or 11th Level Disaster -100 per Nuke/Disaster
Anti-Matter Strike or 12th Level Assault -1000 per Strike/Assault

Now the above is also a teaser. It shoes you that your power can gain technological weapons, and upper level magic. That will be detailed in the next two rules.

Rule #2: The Technological Arms Race

Technology is just as important as Magic in the Rokugan IR. You must understand that in order to understand just how an Anti-Matter Strike would be just as decimating as a 12th Level Magic Assault. Developing Technology can improve your overall power in the IR and is second only to the Industrialization Rating (IR) in importance.

Each power selects a School to research each turn. There are eight starting schools. These are Construction, Chemistry, Computers, Physics, Power, Sociology, Biology, and Fields. These schools raise your ratings in each sub-race.

The Technological Arms Race is divided into these sub-races: Agriculture, Attack, Defense, Espionage, Industry, and Research. You can develop a new school of research (ecology, quantum physics, etc.) that has different Technology subraces. Doing this takes a full turn, and the modifiers cannot exceed an 8. Negative modifiers can be applied, but no more than –2. No one score can go up by more than 4 in one turn.

Technology Subraces Agr. Att. Def. Esp. Ind. Res.
Construction 0 0 4 0 4 0
Chemistry 2 2 2 0 2 0
Computers 0 0 0 4 0 4
Physics 1 4 1 1 1 0
Power 0 4 0 0 4 0
Sociology 2 0 0 4 0 2
Biology 4 2 2 0 0 0
Fields 0 2 4 2 0 0

As your power advances, you will gain certain advantages in each core group. The first noticeable advancement does not occur until your score reaches at least 5.

Agriculture – (Affects do not stack)
5 – Every Territory under your control produces 4x its industrial rating in food.
15 – Every Territory under your control produces 5x its industrial rating in food.
30 – Every Territory under your control produces 6x its industrial rating in food.
50 – Every Territory under your control produces 7x its industrial rating in food.
75 – Every Territory under your control produces 8x its industrial rating in food.
105 – Every Territory under your control produces 9x its industrial rating in food.
140 – Every Territory under your control produces 10x its industrial rating in food.

Attack – (Affects do not stack)
5 – Your Attack score becomes +1 (see rule #4)
15 – Your Attack score becomes +2
30 – Your Attack score becomes +3
50 – Your Attack score becomes +4 and Nuclear weapons become available.
75 – Your Attack score becomes +5
105 – Your Attack score becomes +6
140 – Your Attack score becomes +7 and thermonuclear weapons become available.
180 – Your Attack score becomes +8
225 – Your Attack score becomes +9
275 – Your Attack score becomes +10 and anti-matter weapons become available.

Defense – (Affects do not stack)
5 – Your Defense score becomes +1 (see rule #4)
15 – Your Defense score becomes +2
30 – Your Defense score becomes +3
50 – Your Defense score becomes +4
75 – Your Defense score becomes +5
105 – Your Defense score becomes +6
140 – Your Defense score becomes +7
180 – Your Defense score becomes +8
225 – Your Defense score becomes +9
275 – Your Defense score becomes +10

Espionage – (Affects DO stack)
5 – You gain a 5% chance to find out another powers template. You gain a 5% defense against such actions.
15 – You gain a 10% chance to find out another powers template. You gain a 10% defense against such actions.
30 – You gain a 15% chance to find out another powers template. You gain a 15% defense against such actions.
50 – You gain a 20% chance to find out another powers template. You gain a 20% defense against such actions.
75 – You gain a 25% chance to find out another powers template. You gain a 25% defense against such actions.
105 – You gain a 30% chance to find out another powers template. You gain a 30% defense against such actions.

Industry – (Affects do not stack)
5 – Every Territory under your control gains an additional +1 PL per turn.
15 – Every Territory under your control produces an additional +3 PL per turn.
30 – Every Territory under your control produces an additional +6 PL per turn.
50 – Every Territory under your control produces an additional +10 PL per turn.
75 – Every Territory under your control produces an additional +15 PL per turn.
105 – Every Territory under your control produces an additional +21 PL per turn.
140 – Every Territory under your control produces an additional +28 PL per turn.
180 – Every Territory under your control produces an additional +36 PL per turn.
225 – Every Territory under your control produces an additional +45 PL per turn.

Research – (Affects do stack)
5 – All research sub-races gain a +1 per turn. You develop the first computers.
15 – All research sub-races gain a +1 per turn. You develop the calculator. Bomb safety devices designed.
30 – All research sub-races gain a +1 per turn. You develop the Internet. Computer guided weapons are designed.
50 – All research sub-races gain a +1 per turn. You develop nano-computers. Gain +1 PL per turn.
75 – All research sub-races gain a +1 per turn. You develop Artificial Intelligence. Constructs self replicate.
105 – All research sub races become 4 per turn base. Your Attack/Defense scores both gain +2.
140 – All research sub-races become 6 per turn base.
180 – All research sub-races become 8 per turn base. Your Attack/Defense scores both gain +2.
225 – All research sub races become 10 per turn base.

Rule #3: The Magic Arms Race

Magic is secondary to science. You can choose to develop magic as and will find its affects devastating if you earn them. Magic is costly, however. You can gain Magic Arms Race Points by doing the following:

Spend 10 PL on research this turn. You lose 2 PL permanently. You gain 1 point in the Magic Arms Race.
Spend 10 PL on research this turn. You lose 4 PL permanently. You gain 2 points in the Magic Arms Race.
Spend 10 PL on research this turn. You lose 6 PL permanently. You gain 3 points in the Magic Arms Race.
Spend 10 PL on research this turn. You lose 8 PL permanently. You gain 4 points in the Magic Arms Race.
Spend 10 PL on research this turn. You lose 10 PL permanently. You gain 5 points in the Magic Arms Race.

You can choose to spend more than 10 PL. You must, however, spend in 10 PL increments. The more of your power you sacrifice, the faster your rate of gain will be. What do points in the Magic Arms race do for you?

Well, first of all, a power with 10th level magic can block nukes from damaging them. 10th Level magic can affect major changes on a small territory, or minor changes on a medium area. The exact list of things you can do with 10th level magic will be provided when and if a player gains it.

With 11th Level Magic, a power can perform 11th Level Attacks. These kinds of attacks can wipe out entire nations and cripple those power that do not have 11th level magic to defend them. Expect research on such a subject to take many turns, even with multiple powers organizing it.

With 12th Level Magic, you can challenge entire crystal spheres. You can choose to launch attacks that are 10x greater than any attack made by an 11th level power. You will only encounter 12th level magic if a player manages to reach its incredibly shocking requirements.

A rank of 500 in the Magic Arms Race earns a power 10th Level Magic.
A rank of 25,000 in the Magic Arms Race earns a power 11th Level Magic.
A rank of 625,000 in the Magic Arms Race earns a power 12th Level Magic.

The cost is incredible, and the explanation is lacking: but expect 10th-12th level magic to be worth its incredible cost.

11th Level Magic won the last IR. It would require a player to sacrifice 125,000 PL in order to produce 12th.

Rule #4: Attack and Defense

The fourth rule is the most important rule when two powers disagree. Wars are fought and won with armies, and in the IR it is no exception. This rule is the focal point of most of the IR, until powers gain 11th and 12th level magic. The rule of thumb here is a powers Attack/Defense score.

During an attack, both powers declare how much force they are devoting to the front. This is in PL, which is defined as the basic unit of combat. For each PL in the battle, a D6 is rolled. On a roll of 6, an attack is made. On the defenders side they get a defense (cancels the damage of the attack) on a 6. Then the Defense rolls their attack against the attackers, and the attackers are forced to roll their defense. The final results are reported at the end of a turn.

Each Player has an Attack/Defense score based on their magic and technology. Other modifiers are listed:

All Modifiers Stack:
Player has 10th Level Magic: (+2 Attack/+2 Defense)
Player has 11th Level Magic: (+2 Attack/+2 Defense)
Player has 12th Level Magic: (+2 Attack/+2 Defense)
Player is suffering Starvation: (-2 Attack/-2 Defense)
Player has been poisoned: (-2 Attack/-2 Defense)

Modifiers that do not Stack:
Player is defending a Tower: (+0 Attack/+2 Defense)
Player is defending a Palace: (+1 Attack/+2 Defense)
Player is defending a Castle: (+2 Attack/+3 Defense)
Player is defending a Fort: (+2 Attack/+4 Defense)
Player has set a Trap: (+4 Attack/+0 Defense)

Tokiwong

First Post
Looks pretty cool going to take some time to familiarize myself with the rules... and everything I know of Rokugan comes from the D20 books so take anything I say with a grain of salt... but if people don't mind having fun.. then yeah I can stab at running a monstrously huge game....

Creamsteak

Explorer
Tokiwong,

Actually if you know a LOT more than me about the campaign setting you should be a player: come to think of it. It would give more fuel to the flame. All I have to do is moderate.

I'll give you the hotseat if you need it.

Black Omega knows some... but so far he just pointed out some from the book. Don't know.

Black Omega,

Are you going to play if we start this up?

Remove ads