• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is 5th Edition Directly Descended from Star Wars Saga Edition?

famouswolfe

Explorer
Hey, if that floats your boat. We're talking a literal conversion of Saga to 5e-like mechanics and math, which is very different than "Space D&D".

I have to agree with Remathilis on this one. If you're happy with "Space D&D" then by all means have fun. The scope of my work however is to truly bring Star Wars up to date using the latest iteration of WotC's RPG ruleset. D&D doesn't have rules for high-tech vehicles like starfighters, it doesn't have rules for engaging in space dogfights, there aren't any rules for deflecting blaster shots with your lightsaber, being a magic-user and a Force-user is more than just a simple re-skin or "flavor" if you will, I could go on and on. I'm making great progress, this new version of Star Wars will definitely be amazing once its done.

famouswolfe

Explorer
Just an update, work is going smoothly for the port. I've completed all the entries for the various alien races and am now working on designing the classes. Right now I'm still hammering out final details for the Jedi class, I should have that finished soon and will move on to the Noble class. I've got a good feeling that you all are gonna love this updated version!

Edit: I've also created forum threads here http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?469926-Star-Wars-5th-edition&p=6720500#post6720500 and here http://thesagacontinues.createaforum.com/the-senate-8/star-wars-5th-edition/ I will continue updating all 3 forums.

Last edited:

famouswolfe

Explorer
Sorry to hijack this thread, I have an important question and need everyone's input and opinions. Do you guys think that Jedi should be one class, or broken down into two? Let me explain further.

A.) Jedi is not one but two classes, the Jedi Consular and the Jedi Knight (just like in the MMORPG). Jedi Consulars later become able to specialize into Jedi Sage or Jedi Shadow, Jedi Knights eventually can become Jedi Guardians or Jedi Sentinels.

B.) Jedi is one class, however everyone will pick a particular role: Consular, Guardian, or Sentinel, each granting unique abilities and features.

Personally I'm leaning towards option A myself, just for simplicity's sake. But I thought I'd seek feedback from the community first. Also, if you haven't already, please subscribe to the other threads I created as it's easier to keep everyone on the same page. Thanks for your feedback!

MarkB

Legend
Sorry to hijack this thread, I have an important question and need everyone's input and opinions. Do you guys think that Jedi should be one class, or broken down into two? Let me explain further.

A.) Jedi is not one but two classes, the Jedi Consular and the Jedi Knight (just like in the MMORPG). Jedi Consulars later become able to specialize into Jedi Sage or Jedi Shadow, Jedi Knights eventually can become Jedi Guardians or Jedi Sentinels.

B.) Jedi is one class, however everyone will pick a particular role: Consular, Guardian, or Sentinel, each granting unique abilities and features.

Personally I'm leaning towards option A myself, just for simplicity's sake. But I thought I'd seek feedback from the community first. Also, if you haven't already, please subscribe to the other threads I created as it's easier to keep everyone on the same page. Thanks for your feedback!

Consular, Guardian and Sentinel always felt like rather artificial divisions to me - the movies never make such a distinction.

I much prefer Saga's approach, where you can take Jedi as a class, and then mix-and-match abilities from the Consular, Guardian, Sentinel and Lightsaber Combat talent trees as best suits your character.

famouswolfe

Explorer
Consular, Guardian and Sentinel always felt like rather artificial divisions to me - the movies never make such a distinction.

I much prefer Saga's approach, where you can take Jedi as a class, and then mix-and-match abilities from the Consular, Guardian, Sentinel and Lightsaber Combat talent trees as best suits your character.

I guess I'm so used to playing the MMORPG as well as KOTOR 1 & 2 that I've forgotten that those distinctions were made up specifically for the video games and nothing more lol. Having said that, they are part of official Star Wars canon. I think it probably would be simpler to just dismiss them as mere titles and focus on building a flexible class that allows you to be the kind of Jedi that you want to be lol. Your feedback is much appreciated, thanks!

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I'd say that the Jedi Consular/Sentinel/etc. is a perfect chance to use the 5E subclass system--or it seems that way without digging into the mechanics, anyway. You'll have to see whether that's a viable option, but it's one you could consider.

Drudenfusz

First Post
I wish! I really do, but looking at saga edition with all the issues it had, the five classes felt like they gave me plenty of room to build every character I wanted, while the classes in 5th edition feel so narrow that I am always frustrated just by thought of having to build a character with that system.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos

Whoa whoa whoa. Before committing to this, hop into your designer chair and ask yourself: what's a character class?

Is it the defining characteristic of the character?

...just a group of benefits to gain every so often?

...the same as the character's profession?

...a metagame feature that belongs in the background?

Figuring out what class means to you will help you decide what the Jedi should or shouldn't be. Me, I wouldn't make Jedi a class. Jedi is just an in-game label. It's an organization to which someone belongs. Good candidates for becoming a Jedi would primarily be a force-user class or a monk class.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads