• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is 5th Edition Directly Descended from Star Wars Saga Edition?

CaptainGemini

First Post
That definitely seems the wrong way around. Being a Jedi isn't something you used to do before you took up adventuring.

Darth Vader might disagree with you :p

How about Force User as a class, with Jedi, Sith, and Unaligned as the subclasses? Each can further have different builds within them to represent different divisions with the subclass.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Okay, how about "Jedi Padawan" as the background, then? And there could be separate backgrounds for Sith Apprentice, etc. (Anyway, I don't think backgrounds have to be "stuff I don't do anymore." They can be "where I learned what I know.")

aramis erak

Legend
That definitely seems the wrong way around. Being a Jedi isn't something you used to do before you took up adventuring.

Actually, considering that Jedi are normally well under 10 YO when they start their training (the age of Anakin, who was "too old to begin the training"...) Jedi definitely is what they did before adventuring. It's in fact the only life they've known since someone counted their midichlorians.

famouswolfe

Explorer

I used to be a Jedi adventurer, but then I took an arrow to the knee xD
Okay I'm sorry. I know, 2011 just called and they want their meme back lol.

In all seriousness, a Jedi IS an adventurer. I quote directly from Star Wars Saga Core rulebook:

"A Jedi typically starts out as a Padawan learner attached to a Jedi Master. Prior to 1st level, the character trained as a student with the Jedi Council. She begins her heroic career at 1st level when she is selected as a Padawan learner. Jedi have a genuine desire to use the Force to help the people of the galaxy."

The term "heroic career" is basically synonymous with adventurer. Jedi roam the galaxy, fighting evil and protecting the helpless and innocent. At 1st level, they are a Padawan learner but still a Jedi nonetheless. What this tells me (IMO) is two things:
1. Jedi is a class. It represents not just learning how to use lightsabers and wield the Force, but learning their peaceful philosophies and way of life.
2. Jedi Youngling is definitely a viable background. You were taken in as a child and taught the ways of the Jedi. That perfectly explains how you became a Jedi.

Now, HOW to represent this in-game is what I'm debating. Some have suggested that I keep Jedi as one class and split the subclasses into Consular/Guardian/Sentinel. That certainly makes a lot of sense. Others are suggesting that I make just a basic "Force-User" class and make Jedi/Sith/Force Adept as their own sub-class. That too makes sense. Basically I'll try both and see how it goes.

Zardnaar

Legend
Rolled up a SWSE character today and borrowed some house rules and inspirations from 5E.

Skill focus now grants advantage instead of a +5 bonus.

Core rule book +1 more for force powers. Can't cherry pick all the best ones or take more to many "unique" force powers.

Some powers errated (dark rage +1/+2/+3 instead of +2/+4/+6)

Currently thinking about running a episode seven game where the Knights of Ren and the First Order are the BBEG and the Knights are refluffed Imperial Knights or Jensaari. Rolle up a human force sensitive scout using the Jedi Academy guide for a younging survivor of Order 66 set around 2 years before Episode IV.

Remove ads