D&D 5E Is D&D Next Open?

darjr

I crit!
Their "commitment" to the OGL? They're publishing a 3e retroclone and so have no choice in the matter. Their only other choice would have been to make their own game, in which case they wouldn't be doing nearly as well.

As a non-publisher, how is it harmful to you? As I and others have said before - some publishers know things that non-publishers (and apparently some publishers who have made no inquiries) do not know. I am not seeing how an announcement to non-publishers would be changing anything. If it is OGL, you as a customer will find out when it is published.

Their commitment extends far beyond that. They publish books they absolutely do not have to put under the ogl under the ogl. Yes, it's a commitment. A very profound and much appreciated one. Scare quotes aside Paizo is a committed OGL publisher, yes even stuff they do not have to put in the OGL.

As a non-publisher I use the d20pfsrd.com, from a complete third party. I use third party apps for my tablet that have essentially the complete rules, including NEW OGL content from Paizo. A kind of tool that Paizo has yet to provide, probably because they are very busy putting out more OGL material. The announcement of an OGL would mean that I could be confident that there could be third party products unencumbered. Even I could make such. Even after 6th edition. That is the change that would mean everything to a non-publisher when it comes to the OGL.

darjr

I crit!
I think if you put the amount of content WOTC contributed vs the amount Paizo has contributed, you will find they're pretty comparable.
Actually I think that's an extraordinary statement. Evidence?

Actually, never mind. I'm not interested in this debate with you. I'll except it on your say so. Even so it's a current commitment that doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon.

I for one hope if there is an announcement it is very restrictive... nothing would make me more angry then someone able to reprint the phb in a pocket size and sell it, or worse still make a few house rules and rename it keeping it going years later...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Their commitment extends far beyond that. They publish books they absolutely do not have to put under the ogl under the ogl.

Uh, what?

I think we are confusing terms here. EVERYTHING they publish for Pathfinder MUST be under the OGL. They don't have a choice.

I think you mean the SRD?

Yes, it's a commitment. A very profound and much appreciated one. Scare quotes aside Paizo is a committed OGL publisher, yes even stuff they do not have to put in the OGL.

Again, confusing terms here. They don't have a choice. They are publishing under the open gaming license, and so the open gaming license must be attached to what they publish. There is no choice there. They can't not publish under the open gaming license, unless they want to run afoul of the license.

As a non-publisher I use the d20pfsrd.com, from a complete third party. I use third party apps for my tablet that have essentially the complete rules, including NEW OGL content from Paizo. A kind of tool that Paizo has yet to provide, probably because they are very busy putting out more OGL material. The announcement of an OGL would mean that I could be confident that there could be third party products unencumbered. Even I could make such. Even after 6th edition. That is the change that would mean everything to a non-publisher when it comes to the OGL.

I think, again, you're talking about what they put into open content under the SRD...not the license itself.

Mistwell

Actually I think that's an extraordinary statement. Evidence?

How is that an extraordinary statement? All the 3e core rules are in there (with a few exceptions)...that's a metric crapload of content, and forms the basis of hundreds of 3rd party games published using that content, including much of Pathfinder itself. I think WOTC's contribution is pretty damn substantial, and comparable to Paizo's. There is no OGL without WOTC's contribution to it.

Actually, never mind. I'm not interested in this debate with you. I'll except it on your say so. Even so it's a current commitment that doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon.

Again, unless they opt to make their own game, they don't have a whole lot of choice in the matter. They're using WOTC's license, and copyrighted material therin. They can't just not be OGL, without making their own game first.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It's totally possible that, if there are any plans for 5 e to be OGL, that one of the things they are offering the internal voices who might not be big fans is a window of exclusivity when the rules aren't OGL but are late t Dr phased into OGL status, or where the scramble to publish after is a tool to use against those who would just reprint the OGL portion of the rules on the cheap.

Also possible that their big art budget is a weapon in that arsenal. Though the Inner Circle could give them a run there! I'd love to see a new/updated Avadnu product!

Warskull

First Post
I for one hope if there is an announcement it is very restrictive... nothing would make me more angry then someone able to reprint the phb in a pocket size and sell it, or worse still make a few house rules and rename it keeping it going years later...

That's not how OGL works. OGL only covers the game mechanics, so directly ripping off the PHB would be a copyright violation. They would have to rewrite the whole PHB themselves, that is a significant amount of work. Plus, just look at the history of the OGL this clearly isn't an issue. Paizo has fully embraced the OGL. The problems you have described aren't occurring.

Mistwell

That's not how OGL works... Plus, just look at the history of the OGL this clearly isn't an issue.

He was referring to an actual event. It was an issue. That very thing was done (a miniature SRD PHB someone published). I forget the name of the company, but rumor was that product REALLY pissed of people at WOTC. OSRIC also pissed people off something fierce, when it first was released. I think your assumptions about the history of these problems is...well...not well informed by history.

Remove ads