• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Forgotten Realms the Default Campaign Setting for 5e?

What is the relationship between Forgotten Realms and Fifth Edition?

• 1. Married. (Forgotten Realms is the OFFICIAL setting of 5e.)

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • 2. Going steady. (Forgotten Realms is the DEFAULT setting of 5e.)

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • 3. Friends with benefits. (Forgotten Realms gets a little something extra, but nothing codified.)

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • 4. High school sweethearts. (Forgotten Realms got the early material, but 5e is movin' on.)

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • 5. One night stand. (5e slept with who?)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 6. "The crows seemed to be calling his name," thought Caw.

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Poll closed .

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
What does it matter, anyway? Everything can be adapted, adjusted, and otherwise altered to fit the needs of any individual campaign setting, including homebrew. That has always been the way for D&D since the beginning, and that is how it will likely be forevermore.

A default setting just means "unless otherwise stated, or determined by the GM". The Forgotten Realms is a good point of reference for any campaign because it encompasses so many different facets of all of them. It is also the most popular setting, being the focus of many novels, vidoe games, etc. From a marketing perspective, it makes the most sense.

Don't like it? Don't worry! It's only the default setting. Play whatever setting you like, and by all that is holy, learn how to adapt. Change the names. Steal or borrow ideas. Look everwhere for inspiration. It's a game of imagination, not limitations.

Hussar

Legend
So are we voting as to what we are predicting is going to happen with future releases? I'm kinda struggling with what the actual question is for the thread.
This is an offshoot of the Official Product thread, where people are talking about whether or not it matters (and how much it matters) whether something is "official" or not. That got onto the notion of canon and how certain races (ie Dragonborn) don't fit in "official" settings and since Forgotten Realms is the "Default" setting, therefore Dragonborn should be excluded from all official products, because, apparently, Dragonborn badtouched someone in the past.

Li Shenron

Legend
I don't even think FR is the default.

For me a good indicator of a default setting is always the cleric deities available in the PHB, but other than being the first table in the 5e PHB appendix, the FR pantheon is there alongside Greyhawk and Eberron.

It's maybe getting more material than any other setting, but not even that much more.

R_J_K75

Legend
Sure whether the answer is yes or no its going to be a "Forgotten Realm" when its buried under the "Wildemount" of cash that comes in March when the book is released. Joking aside if that book sells as well as the pre-order indicates then this setting will probably see more official support than say Eberron regardless of what WotC and CR initials intentions were. Just my opinion.

Other than the name "Volo", there is nothing Realms specific in Volo's Guide. It really doesn't reference or acknowledge anything Setting specific, other than the Orderinn (which 5E has expanded to other Settings anyways). The Yuan-Ti are rather glaring, as it ignores everything about the FR Yuan-Ti and just gives the Greyhawk version.

Not sure how any of that contradicts what I'm saying but maybe it's not intended to? Being written by Volo is kind of a big deal too. I have to admit, I ran the FR for ten years and I have no idea how FR Yuan-Ti differ from the default, and is suspect that's true for most people who run the FR, so what's in Volo will apply for them.

Sure whether the answer is yes or no its going to be a "Forgotten Realm" when its buried under the "Wildemount" of cash that comes in March when the book is released. Joking aside if that book sells as well as the pre-order indicates then this setting will probably see more official support than say Eberron regardless of what WotC and CR initials intentions were. Just my opinion.

That's actually kind of exciting, in an odd way. It'll be interesting to see what the default is in 6E if CR goes huge book-wise. That said I know several people who are buying Wildemount who don't actually run D&D and one who doesn't even play so it may be indicative of a generally awesome product for fans rather than one in direct use as a setting (still a smart move for WotC!).

I’m pretty sure that Hasbro doesn’t own Wildemount and that they’d rather support their IP than someone else’s.

Li Shenron

Legend
Just for reference:

THE ADVENTURES IN FORGOTTEN REALMS

Lost Mines of Phandelver (Forgotten Realms)

Hoard of the Dragon Queen (Forgotten Realms)

Rise of Tiamat (Forgotten Realms)

Princes of the Apocalypse (Forgotten Realms)

Out of the Abyss (Forgotten Realms)

Storm King's Thunder (Forgotten Realms)

Tales from the Yawning Portal (Forgotten Realms ... oh, the irony)

Tomb of Annihlilation (Forgotten Realms)

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (Forgotten Realms)

Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage (Forgotten Realms)

Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus (Forgotten Realms)

Dragon of Icespire Peak (Forgotten Realms)

Curse of Strahd (Demiplane, but hook is Forgotten Realms)

THE ADVENTURES NOT IN FORGOTTEN REALMS (not including adventures in campaign setting books)

Ghosts of Saltmarsh (Greyhawk)

Now, I admit this kind of unfair. After all, it is relatively easy to set the various APs somewhere else, just as it is relatively easy to set GoS in Forgotten Realms. I'm just saying that it's not ... that close ... as to the amount of material. ;)

Ok I am not familiar with 5e adventures, apparently they are largely FR-oriented. I think sourcebooks are definitely more balanced. I remember SCAG being FR, then we have an Eberron book and a MtG book? I don't think Volo's and Xanathar's are very FR-oriented besides the title.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads