• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it helpful to have "don't care" options in polls?

is it worthwhile for polls to have "I don't care"-style choices?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 9 69.2%

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
A recurring thing on a lot of the polls I see here will be the "lemon curry" options; that is, options to vote that you don't care about the question being asked. My query is, why include those options at all? If you're trying to take a sampling of people's opinions on a topic, shouldn't the people who don't have an opinion just, you know, not vote?

It seems to me that including these "I don't care" options skews the data (even moreso than an internet poll is already skewed), and aren't really helpful at all. What do you think?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's presumably what the poll-creator wants. I'm not about to second-guess peoples' poll-creating choices any more than I'm going to correct their spelling errors for them! :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Why do you think that option is only for those who do not care?

What about those who care, but whose thoughts don't fit in the other options given?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Why do you think that option is only for those who do not care?

What about those who care, but whose thoughts don't fit in the other options given?

Ostensibly they'd have a choice for "Other," or at the very least post but not vote to express an option that they weren't given in the poll choices.

Online polls always have at least one person complaining that his opinion isn't covered by the options given. Choices like "Don't Care", "I like pie", or "None of the Above" at the end of the list are generally necessary to minimize these complaints. It doesn't matter so much what the alternate option is, as long as it catches all the voters who don't (want to) fit into the options you've given.

Whenever the throw away option gets a significant percentage of votes, it means generally means that something got screwed up in the poll. Maybe the wording and terminology got screwed up, maybe the poll failed to cover all possible situations, or maybe the audience just wasn't well suited to the question.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Ostensibly they'd have a choice for "Other," or at the very least post but not vote to express an option that they weren't given in the poll choices.

And you figure the meme-filled, creativity-loaded RPG community would be expected to stick with plain old, "Other", and not come up with other variants intended to be more interesting, funny, or specific to the group in question?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
And you figure the meme-filled, creativity-loaded RPG community would be expected to stick with plain old, "Other", and not come up with other variants intended to be more interesting, funny, or specific to the group in question?

Lemon curry.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Now you understand. Or at least will pass a Turing Test, which is close enough for government work. Go forth, and joyously partake of a hot dog or something.

Remove ads