D&D 5E Is it just me or does Tiamat kind of blow in Tyranny of Dragons?

Nebulous

Legend
Has it been stated anywhere that legendary actions can also be used as normal actions?

A legendary action is often an additional basic attack anyway. Not always. There's no specific rule in the Monster Manual for swapping out a legendary action for a normal action, but I suppose you could. It doesn't really matter, the monster gets to use the normal or legendary action round after round anyway, the only difference is when it happens.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
H
You know that legendary actions refresh at the beginning of every round, right?

That means she can use a breath weapon (on average) 6 times more often than the red in your example.

Edit: Maths is hard.

LOL! I don't think the OP knew the rules on this.

Derren

Hero
Not as such. They're limited lists, with explicit costs.

So Tiamat is not able to use her breath weapon on her own (and when she normally is able to use two, when facing only a single enemy she can somehow only use one)?
Its not quite as bad as with the sphinx which can't teleport without being in combat, but still is silly.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
So Tiamat is not able to use her breath weapon on her own (and when she normally is able to use two, when facing only a single enemy she can somehow only use one)?
Its not quite as bad as with the sphinx which can't teleport without being in combat, but still is silly.

I have not seen the statblock, but if Tiamat normally gets to use two breath weapons on her turn, she can still use two breath weapons against a single foe, and then whatever bonus legendary action she gets. You sound bound and determined to hate these rules no matter what.

Nebulous

Legend
Which according to the OP she can not as the breath attacks are legendary actions which can only be performed out of turn.

I see. Somewhat odd, but then again, a single foe is probably not going to survive more than one or two rounds anyway.

Derren

Hero
I see. Somewhat odd, but then again, a single foe is probably not going to survive more than one or two rounds anyway.

As I said it is not as bad as with the Sphinx which can not teleport on its own turn as breath weapons hardly have any none combat use. The only oddness is that Tiamat becomes less capable the less enemies she faces. But thats a problem you have with all legendary actions.

Remove ads