• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Star Wars a dying game?

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I think it'll be very quiet until we get the new film simply because of avoiding continuity errors between Episode 3 and whatever WotC puts out.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
There will be SW after Episode 3.

The Clone Wars anime shorts will continue on Cartoon Network. There have been hints of a weekly live action TV series in the works as well.

While Lucas was working on Episode 1, he went out of his way to dispel rumors of Eps 7 to 9. But now those rumors have started to fly again and Lucas hasn't quashed them this time.

I think SW is a cash cow that Lucas will ride to his grave. And then someone else will gain control and the franchise will live on in some way.

Ranger REG

Explorer
I doubt we'll see the next SW trilogy in Georgie-boy's lifetime. But from what I hear, the Clone War animated series is the first successful SW TV series since ... well, ever (I still remembered that other TV series in the 80's).

As for SW RPG, unless Lucasfilm revoke the license, WotC have it for some time, until 2014(?).

Last edited:

JVisgaitis

Explorer
I'm a bigger Star Wars fan than anyone. And I fear the RPG may be dead. I don't want to be the harbinger of unfounded rumors, but take a look at the licenses from the Official Star Wars Newsletter:

Toys, Games & Electronics
Hasbro Toy Group: Master Toy License
Hasbro Games: Puzzles and games
LEGO Systems, Inc: Building block construction sets
Wizards of the Coast: Star Wars Trading Card Game and Miniatures Games

I don't see any mention of the Star Wars RPG. Take that to mean what you will.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Since when is LFL proud of RPG? We're in the single-digit percentage minority.

But, hey, if you want to correct them, go ahead. Me? I rarely visit StarWars.com web site. The last time I was there, I felt singled out because I'm a roleplayer.

Last edited:

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Well, they've had the RPG mentioned as a license before. Also, I find it odd that the card game and the miniature game are listed, but no RPG. Also, from what I picked up at the Star Wars is not doing well. Incidently, this was licenses that were tied to Episode III.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
DM_Jeff said:
The disturbing element of all this is how, in the Star Wars mini game, there are no Roleplaying stats on the back of the cards like in the D&D minis game...just skirmish stats.

-DM Jeff
There is a reason for this. I heard about it during the Star Wars Miniatures seminar at GenCon. Lucasfilm wanted larger character portraits on the back of the cards. It's as simple as that.

JediSoth

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads