• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the Tratnyr underpowered?

cmbarona

First Post
I guess one way to address the issue of the tratnyr being underpowered is to ask: Considering the very few current cases where using a tratnyr is ideal, would giving them a +3 proficiency make those cases overpowered?

arscott

First Post
It's the best one-handed spear in the game. And if you're going for a thrown-weapon build, it's worth the feat--better range than you'll get by taking Far Throw and using a trident.

Drakhar

First Post
It's a good secondary weapon for an Eladrin with Eladrin Soldier as they not only gain access to them but get a damage bonus with them. I plan on making a Great Spear Eladrin Fighter and having a Tratnyr as his ranged option.

jtrowell

First Post
In my campaign, one of my PCs is an artificer and he doesn't want to use a crossbow nor bow, he prefer to take shield prof. and use a throw wepon. For him, the Trantyr is the best weapon available.

MarkB

Legend
It's a good secondary weapon for an Eladrin with Eladrin Soldier as they not only gain access to them but get a damage bonus with them. I plan on making a Great Spear Eladrin Fighter and having a Tratnyr as his ranged option.

Since my Eladrin Fighter was already a spear-and-shield-wielding fighter with the Eladrin Soldier feat before AV was published, I jumped at the chance to upgrade to a Tratnyr. It works just fine for me at melee range, and when I can't physically get to a target, a ranged basic attack will still let me mark them, at the same attack and damage bonuses as my regular attacks.

Currently, I'm using a Vicious tratnyr, but I intend to replace or supplement it with a Grasping tratnyr as soon as I can - the ability to Pull in, grab and mark an enemy from up to 20 squares away once per encounter is just unbeatable for a Defender.

MarkB

Legend
So what I'm seeing is that it's a nice toy if you're an Eldarin, and that's about it.

Pretty much. I went for it because it was a straight replacement for my existing weapon and didn't cost me anything extra for the versatility, but I couldn't see any other Fighter build going for it.

I also have a Drow Ranger who's stat-balanced to be versatile between ranged and melee combat (16s in STR and DEX). If I'd built her as an Eladrin, this might be her weapon of choice - but I haven't actually played her enough to decide whether a balanced ranged/melee build is even viable.

thisisaspace

First Post
Aside for the example of the shield and tratnyr artificer above, an artificer with a tratnyr can still have an implement in her offhand, meaning she can make use of every artificer power there is without having to fumble in her backpack, and she probably doesn't have to worry about dancing away if anything with a pointed stick comes after her. That kind of versatility has to be worth something.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads