• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this allowed?

Akhkharu

First Post
I don't know if this has been asked before, my seraches hasn't turned up anything.

Does Earth's Embrace & Roundabout Kick work together?

EE - allows critical hits while maintaining a pin.
RK - allows an additional attack at the same opponent anytime a successful critical hit

Thank in advance,
Akh

Ferox4

First Post
Akhkharu said:
I don't know if this has been asked before, my seraches hasn't turned up anything.

Does Earth's Embrace & Roundabout Kick work together?

EE - allows critical hits while maintaining a pin.
RK - allows an additional attack at the same opponent anytime a successful critical hit

Thank in advance,
Akh

Where are these (EE & RK) from?

spunky_mutters

First Post
They're both in Complete Warrior. EE doesn't deal a critical, and it only applies when maintaining a grapple. RK triggers on a critical, and only applies to unarmed strikes. While grappling is done unarmed, maintaining a grapple is not an attack with an unarmed strike. I think there's two strikes against these working together.

Akhkharu

First Post
Actually I found them in OA. I didn't know they were in Complete Warrior as I don't have the book nor the money for it, but my question is answered so thanks a million and one.

AKh

edit: me spell bad

Last edited:

spunky_mutters said:
They're both in Complete Warrior. EE doesn't deal a critical, and it only applies when maintaining a grapple. RK triggers on a critical, and only applies to unarmed strikes. While grappling is done unarmed, maintaining a grapple is not an attack with an unarmed strike. I think there's two strikes against these working together.

Heh. I love it when peeps are right for the wrong reason :)

You can deal unarmed strike damage during a grapple - it's one of the grapple options.

However, EE requires that you be 'pinning' the opponent - a different combat option. Whilst pinning, you are not making an unarmed strike, you are 'pinning' with successive grapple checks.

That said, RK should not be allowed in a grapple, even with an unarmed strike option, by any sane GM... Just try to picture two wrestlers... One knees the other one, and immediately follows it with a round about kick???

Remove ads