• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this monster a bit powerful?

Darkmantle26

First Post
I recently brewed up a new batch of dragons for a campaign I'm writing, but said campaign will most likely contain 3 PCs, all of whom are prone to playing spellcasters regardless if everyone else is one too. I can actually predict what they will play: A warlock, a Wild-Magic Sorcerer, and a Wizard, I plan for the Wyrmling variety of this new dragon will be the first boss

Here are it's stats:
Purple Dragon
Wyrmling
Medium Dragon, Neutral
Armor Class 16
16HP (3d8+3)
Speed 30ft Fly 50ft
STR 15
DEX 10
CON 13
INT 15
WIS 14
CHA 10
Saving Throws: Dex +2 Con +3 Int +4 Wis +4
Skills: Perception +4 Stealth +2 Arcana +4
Damage immunities: Psychic
Condition Immunities: Charmed
Senses: Darkvision 60ft Blindsight 10ft
Languages: Draconic
Bite: +4 to hit 1d10+2 Piercing Damage plus 1d6 psychic damage
Mind Control
The dragon can attempt to take control of a creature’s mind, the dragon chooses one creature it can see within 30ft, that creature must make a DC 12 Charisma saving throw or be mind controlled (as Dominate Person) The dragon can only have one creature mind controlled at a time

Mind Thrust
The dragon chooses one creature it can see within 60 feet of it, that creature makes a DC 12 Wisdom save, taking 1d10+2 psychic damage on a failed save

Mind Blast (Recharge 5-6)
Emits psychic energy in a 20ft cone, each creature in that area must succeed a DC 12 Intelligence Saving Throw or take 4d6+2 psychic damage and be stunned for one minute. A creature can repeat the save at the end of each of its turns, removing the effect on a success

Innate SpellCasting (Psionics)
Save DC 12
At Will: Detect Thoughts, Message, Comprehend Languages, Tongues

Would this be too strong for them at 1st-3rd level? and I know they won't run away, no matter how much I tell them running is ok

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads