Is Wraithstrike the wrong level?

Rystil Arden said:
That's also partially a problem with ICE for high-HD creatures. For instance, an intelligent T-Rex with ICE instead of one of some of those worthless Toughness feats can pump its AC to unreachable levels for its supposed CR while still hitting with its bite.
Hmm. I wonder what the CR of a 13-Int T-Rex should be. As in Awakened? Maybe a +2 CR adjustment?

Even at CR 8, the thing can get to a maximum AC of 27, by taking its attack down to a +7. IME, secondary fighters (clerics, bards, rogues) can get up to double their level in attack bonus (say at 8th level +3 from Inspire Courage, +2 weapon, +3 ability, +6 BAB, and +2 flanking or charging). Plus maybe Prayer, Haste, or Weapon Focus. Primary fighters do quite a bit better.

Now, Combat Expertise for a Stone Giant or Elder Xorn (also CR 8, but with a MUCH better AC) makes them nearly impossible to hit.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Brother MacLaren said:
Hmm. I wonder what the CR of a 13-Int T-Rex should be. As in Awakened? Maybe a +2 CR adjustment?

Even at CR 8, the thing can get to a maximum AC of 27, by taking its attack down to a +7. IME, secondary fighters (clerics, bards, rogues) can get up to double their level in attack bonus (say at 8th level +3 from Inspire Courage, +2 weapon, +3 ability, +6 BAB, and +2 flanking or charging). Plus maybe Prayer, Haste, or Weapon Focus. Primary fighters do quite a bit better.

Now, Combat Expertise for a Stone Giant or Elder Xorn (also CR 8, but with a MUCH better AC) makes them nearly impossible to hit.
Ah, I must have been working with an Advanced Awakened T-Rex then. I think it was CR 12 (may have been 13) and had ACs in the mid-30s using ICE. It certainly works better with a Stone Giant or Elder Xorn, though, admittedly.

starwed

First Post
Wait a second.. free action, untyped bonus, only the to-hit bonus is capped. Uh, am I crazy here, or is there the possibility that someone with Arcane Strike can just go thermonuclear and vent like mad?
It's definately RAW. But I'd suggest making it a swift action.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Wraithstrike should be stricken from the game. As is, it is broken and not fixable IMO. It is just too problematic to convert attacks from non-touch to touch.

szilard

First Post
Sejs said:
So, for some reason I thought Arcane Strike was a swift action to activate, and thus would have some saving grace regarding possible interaction with Wraithstrike. But I wasn't sure, so I thought it best to check.

Upon checking.. nope, free action. *shakes head, boggles* Wait a second.. free action, untyped bonus, only the to-hit bonus is capped. Uh, am I crazy here, or is there the possibility that someone with Arcane Strike can just go thermonuclear and vent like mad?

Now granted, no DM in their right mind would let that fly, but still. Can't believe that one slipped under my radar up until now.

Yes. This is a ridiculous combo. In the over-the-top-anything-goes gestalt game I was playing in, my character (primarily Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple with some Paladin levels) would take on the big bads by shapechanging into a Leonal, charging (pounce) with Wraithstrike and swap out a 9th level spell for arcane strike. Haste (via boots of speed) and a full power attack... and maybe a Smite Evil just for fun. He'd regularly do around 1000 points of damage in a round.

-Stuart

wildstarsreach

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
Or when used by big dragons - do you want to face a young adult red power attacking for +15-19 on 5 attacks? every round?

You PC will almost never have an AC that the dragon can't hit with reasonable certainty. It might make a difference of 2 attacks at most that didn't hit.

Remove ads