Is Wraithstrike the wrong level?

Rystil Arden said:
Wraithstrike is not just the wrong level--it is simply broken at any level against a wide variety of opponents (particularly big dragons). It might be acceptable at 8th or 9th level, but that just means the Eldritch Knight takes longer to break it.

QFT.

The problem I have with Wraithstrike is that it doesn't just give a bonus to hit, it completely negates certain types of AC. Sometimes it nets +5 to hit, but it can also net a +500 to hit. I thought we learned that open-endedness like this was bad from 3.0 Harm, but apparently WotC forgot about that somewhere along the line.

That, and quickened True Strike is 5th level, and pretty well balanced. I hate the idea of low level swift action spells to begin with.

wildstarsreach

First Post
szilard said:
Yes. This is a ridiculous combo. In the over-the-top-anything-goes gestalt game I was playing in, my character (primarily Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple with some Paladin levels) would take on the big bads by shapechanging into a Leonal, charging (pounce) with Wraithstrike and swap out a 9th level spell for arcane strike. Haste (via boots of speed) and a full power attack... and maybe a Smite Evil just for fun. He'd regularly do around 1000 points of damage in a round.

-Stuart

Only one swift/quickened/immediate action per turn. Wraithstrike is a swift action which stacks unfortunately with free actions such as Arcane Strike. This is better than the Arcane Channeling (Full Attack) that the Duskblade get at 13th. Arcane Channeling a spell still only affects one attack that you channel the spell through.

Somehow, Arcane strike strikes me that this should be a standard of immediate action at best.

Infiniti2000

First Post
wildstarsreach said:
You PC will almost never have an AC that the dragon can't hit with reasonable certainty. It might make a difference of 2 attacks at most that didn't hit.
There's a difference between being able to hit your PC with a reasonable certainty on all attacks and being able to hit your PC with a reasonable certainty even at +15-19 power attack on all attacks. With 6 attacks, that's at least 90hp of extra damage per round.

wildstarsreach

First Post
Stalker0 said:
If Wraithstrike only applies to one attack that would be something, but I'd still make it higher level.

I was thinking that there should be a succession of 4 spells starting at 5th to 8th in which each level of spell would allow one additional attack. 5th would be the next attack, 6th would be the next 2 attacks and so on. This would at least be more consistant.

SteelDraco

First Post
I'm playing a character right now with Deep Impact, which is a psionic feat similar to Wraithstrike - it lets you expend your psionic focus to make a single melee attack as a touch attack. You can pick it up starting at 5th level, with one feat prereq (Psionic Weapon). It's a useful ability, but it's not gamebreaking, even with my beatstick of a gestalt fighter/psychic warrior.

The problem with Wraithstrike is that it's for ALL attacks in the round, including things like Cleave attacks, and any extra attacks you may be able to pick up. If it was just one, like Deep Impact, I wouldn't have a problem with it at 2nd level. As written, however, I'd never allow it in my games. I probably wouldn't allow it even at 4th or 5th level. I might consider one of two alternate versions, however.

1. A 2nd level, swift action spell that only affects one attack.
2. A 3rd or 4th level spell that isn't a swift action, that affects next round's attacks. This rewards groups with Spellcraft and cooperation, as the party's casters yell to the warriors, "Get away from that dragon! Something bad's going to happen if you don't!" It also requires more tactical play, as the character tries to set up a full attack against a target that might be aware of what's going on.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Deset Gled said:
Sometimes it nets +5 to hit, but it can also net a +500 to hit. I thought we learned that open-endedness like this was bad from 3.0 Harm, but apparently WotC forgot about that somewhere along the line.
Where were you in the thread on the monk's belt? I needed your help then. :)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Changing the level of wraithstrike isn't really the solution, because it only breaks at high levels.

2 easy fixes:

1) Only 1 attack in the round that wraithstrike is cast and any other attacks (AoO's for example) are not considered touch attacks. This put's the spell in line with the ToB manuever and the feat deep impact.

2) Keep it as a swift spell but add the wording: No strength based damage (including power attack) applies when wraithstrike is active.

wildstarsreach

First Post
Mort said:
Changing the level of wraithstrike isn't really the solution, because it only breaks at high levels.

2 easy fixes:

1) Only 1 attack in the round that wraithstrike is cast and any other attacks (AoO's for example) are not considered touch attacks. This put's the spell in line with the ToB manuever and the feat deep impact.

2) Keep it as a swift spell but add the wording: No strength based damage (including power attack) applies when wraithstrike is active.

That would indeed take the teeth out of the wonky brokenness of the spell. It is also an assassin 2 to make assassins more effective. Being more finesse is more in line with what this spell should be. I like that idea.

Remove ads