• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Island Empire OOC, (Closed)

Scotley

Hero
Everyone welcome our new player to the game, he should be familiar to everyone. Please describe your characters as well!

Last edited:

Erland

First Post
Scott,

I'm wondering why Survival wouldn't be relevant to identifing the cause of the wave - the skill involves hunting, including signs of prey animals, and avoiding natural threats, including recognizing signs of predators. OK, maybe the DC would be different, but it still seems to me that the skill would be useful in the circumstances (especially given that one of your clues involved smaller animals fleeing the area).

Just curious.

Thanks

Scotley

Hero
Yes, after a re-read of the skill and some of the stuff in later books, I have to agree that Survival was relavent here. As you say, I pointed you in this direction with my description of the other marine life. I was thinking of natural creatures fleeing undead/unnatural, but as a barbarian your character would be even more sensitve than usual to the life around you. I only looked at the Srd when I made my response. I need to remember that while it is good for rules it often lacks important detail. I won't go back an edit at this point since it is now clear what is happening. I will keep it in mind for the future.

Erland

First Post
No big deal. I wasn't expecting you to edit anything. I wasn't questioning this particular instance as much as just wanting to discuss the topic and see if I was missing something.

As DM, I want to encourage people to creatively use skills different from the one(s) I think are most appropriate at the time I set a challange. If I feel an arguement is good enough I'll allow even apparently inappropriate skills to be used, though I reserve the right to change the DC and/or the specific information gained.

Quick example - you find a (labeled) dose of an herb from an apothecary store. Typical checks would be Knowledge (Nature) or Healing to learn that the medicine is good for treating headaches and fevers. However, your character doesn't have either of those skills, so you make a Knowledge (Local) skill to learn that the locals use it to treat aches, pains, skin rashes, and male impotence. Normally, you wouldn't think that Knowledge (Local) would have any relevance, but with just a twist on the results, you can still learn something (even if it isn't as specific, and possibly misleading...)

Erland

First Post
More on that example - A subsequent Knowledge (Nature) or Healing check would reveal if the contents of the package really matched the label - something you couldn't do with the Knowledge (Local) check.

But Knowledge (Local) might reveal that this apothecary has been known to use cheap substitutes instead of the real thing...

Scotley

Hero
Yeah, I can see your line of reasoning here. I've been giving short shrift to some skills I think. I'll have to give some thought to the balance issues.

Erland

First Post
Hey guys, I'm out of the country - my trip got unexpectedly pushed forward. I'll have internet access today, but probably won't from Monday through Thursday. Scott, please manage Morwyn as needed.

His AC is currently 21
HP 60

He will continue to use the axe two-handed. I re-read the description of Power Attack, and you aren't supposed to get the bonus on light weapons (like the dagger), and if you use weapon two-handed you double the bonus.

He won't rage unless his HP drops to 40 or below, or if one of the crew (including other PCs) is dropped.

Remove ads