It appears that Star Trek has learnt from Star Wars

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
satori01 said:
Star Wars as a base line, holds up in the effects department, thus adding Riding Lizard here, a new shot of the Rebel Snub Fighter force going to the Death Star there, does not seem incongrous.

Star Trek looks cheesy, it has always looked cheesy. From the fake alien that was really a kid to the giant floating space turd that was the planet destroyer...the sets, the costumes, the sound effects, the special effects, and often the dialogue are just B grade mulch.....and people love it despite that.

It will seem odd to me if suddenly a Klingon D-10 Attack Crusier suddenly looks modern day computer generated, and the next scene we jump to a shot of the Ugly, Plain Engine Room on the Enterprise where everyone is pretending that the ship is being shook in that awfull over the top, shaking the camera sort of way that only Star Trek has.

Well considering that the first Star Trek series was literally going where no FX has ever gone before because, well, no one ever attempted it before is the reason it looks so "cheesy" by today's standards. There were no computer rendered graphics anything in those days.

Then there is Voyager. That FX intense/driven show that was as boring as the characters and so-called plot thrust upon us. I'll take the characters and plot of the Original (with strong exceptions such as the infamous "Spock's Brain" and a few other 3rd season groaners) over Voyager's addictive dependency on FX any day.

By the way, I do hope they keep Berman & Braga away from anything else to do with Trek. Those two destroyed the franchise with such stellar work as Voyager and Enterprise.

drothgery

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
Does this mean they will also have to redo the DS9 Tribbles episode where they go into the past?

I was just watching DS9 on DVD (since they recently cut the prices to the ~$50/season that I'll pay, from the $100/season that I won't), and there was a bit on the "making of" that show where they mentioned that the source video was actually far higher-quality than what most people actually saw on TV at the time. Also, they rebuilt a lot of stuff for that episode from scratch.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Donovan Morningfire said:
LMAO at the "Roddenberry loyalists to have a collective cow" remark.

But otherwise, meh. Haven't watched a Star Trek episode in years, and don't have any urge to watch a series I got bored of a long time ago.
Too cerebral for ya?

I thought so. :]

Of course, I'm gonna have a "cow." We're going from "Han Shot First!" controversy to "Kirk Shot First!" :p

Ranger REG

Explorer
Flexor the Mighty! said:
I'm a bit of a purist, I got angry and quit watching Enterprise since I didn't think it fit into continutity with TOS properly...however i'll be all over this. I've seen the updated version on youtube and it looks good.
You mean, you've watched through Voyager without complaints? :confused:

*shakes head down in sheer disappointment*

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
You mean, you've watched through Voyager without complaints? :confused:

*shakes head down in sheer disappointment*

I'm with you on this one Ranger REG. Voyager was awful. It was Berman & Braga's attempt, along with Enterprise, to create Trek in their own image. Look what its gotten us.

Remove ads