• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Item creation question

Should a PC [B]ever[/B] create an item without first consulting the dm?

• Yes

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 35 94.6%

shilsen

Adventurer
AZNtrogdor said:
Please help me with my pc's new argument. What if the "custom item" follows the dmg's rules for creating new items?
Point out to the player that creating non-standard magic items is a variant rule (DMG, pg. 214 sidebar) and that Table 7-33 is specifically labelled "Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values". These are only guidelines and the DM always needs to make judgement calls here.

Crothian

First Post
AZNtrogdor said:
Please help me with my pc's new argument. What if the "custom item" follows the dmg's rules for creating new items?

Doesn't matter. What is wrong with telling the DM of the items you make?

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I was going to vote yes until I realized that the question specified PC rather than Player. The player can create all the items he wants. But the PC doesn't get them until the GM has approved them. Anyone who complains about it is obviously trying to get away with something. IMNSHO.

AZNtrogdor

First Post
Thanks, I was getting tired of arguing with the player and I am glad that I am now able to show him that pretty much everyone agrees with me.

arscott

First Post
You should be letting the GM know when you buy torches or rope (a simple "my character goes shopping for adventuring gear" will probably suffice). Not bothering to say "my character scribes a few scrolls" is just stupid.

Sejs

First Post
AZNtrogdor said:

You answered your own question.

What book do those rules appear in, again? Exactly. :D

Glyfair

Explorer
Sejs said:
What book do those rules appear in, again?

And I think calling them rules is off-base, as well. They are guidelines, and specifically called that in the DMG (see the "Creating Wonderous Items" section).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads