• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's a beautiful baby +2 Vorpal Sword!

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Replacing all magic item creation with this idea, or in any way standardizing such a process: Bad idea.

Having it happen once in a campaign for a particularly special item like a legacy weapon or artifact: Pretty good idea.

It would be rather symbolic and epic for a sorceress to give birth to a key item in a campaign. It rather underscores the uniqueness of the item.

awayfarer

First Post
...you sir, are a strange, strange man.

I could see this working if it was Wolverine. You know, cause of his his adamantine womb.

On the other hand, it might be an interesting way to create golems.

Jack of Shadows

First Post
OK,

Thank you for giving me ideas for the next Alienist character I create. Now I'm going to add something to this already disturbing thread.

No one has suggested sentient magic items yet. It's one thing when your sword talks to you, it's quite another when it calls you "Dad".

Thank you and good night.

Jack

darthkilmor

First Post
I dont think its been mentioned, but what about instead of having to "birth" the item, it swells into a huge lump and seperates from the host body, like a bud of flesh or seomthing. maybe it deals like 1d4 points of con dmg.
A little flesh cocoon kind of thing.

Gah, was also thinking of Aliens with all the pod eggs. They could just rupture or explode when the item is done.

Bardsandsages

First Post
Arrgh! Mark! said:
I just had a nasty idea. A shuddering nasty idea.

What do goblins do? Steal children. What do they do with them?

There's one way for a more mature game to really make players hate goblins.

Except whenever someone says they are running a "mature" game, it is anything but. :\

This thread is like a car wreck. You don't WANT to watch, but feel compelled to

DMH

First Post
darthkilmor said:
Gah, was also thinking of Aliens with all the pod eggs. They could just rupture or explode when the item is done.

That is a spiffy idea- potion bottles like the Alien eggs. They open when stroked the correct way. Or maybe even the facehugger...

Looking back on sources listed in this thread and others, I still say the best for mechanics is Goodman's Complete Guide to Treants. The week/1000 gp helps with the idea of a growing magical item.

Jack of Shadows said:
No one has suggested sentient magic items yet. It's one thing when your sword talks to you, it's quite another when it calls you "Dad".

Thanks for that idea. A sorcerer's family reunion includes half his hoard.

DMH

First Post
The zerns from the MM IV could be altered slightly to use this concept. Heck, mix them with the current merchant Red Wizards, and you get a major source of magic items in a given setting. Since the xp is payed by the host, the zerns can create items much faster than other races, thus giving them an edge and reason for discounts.

There is an adventure path- the PCs are the ones who discover what the zerns are doing.

DMH

First Post
Odhanan said:
This thread actually does have some merit when you think about Chaositech...

I have that and am unimpressed. The idea that a chainsword can be run on chaos is silly- chaos would warp the sword and its user. The biotech items and mutations are better, but the underlying concept is still hard for me to swallow. Not that it isn't easy to come up with an alternate form of energy that causes these effects.

If anything, this reminds me more of the alchemical items in The Fantastic Science that permanently alter the consumer and some of the other devices.

Remove ads