• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's a beautiful baby +2 Vorpal Sword!

Bront

The man with the probe
"Ma'am, perhaps you shouldn't have had so much to drink."
"Why? What happened to my baby +1 Wounding Greataxe?"
"It looks like it's a Life-drinker ma'am"

Don't drink when pregnant. Think of the Magic Items.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by Djeta Thernadier
As a woman, the very thought of giving birth to a +3 battle axe or something sort of makes me cringe, but whatever floats yer boat...

Speaking of which, the first thing I thought of was the Halruuan Airship. :) It's BIG, and it'll be a LONG pregnancy. Maybe the item should be based on the size of the creature to be impregnated.

Man, I can't believe I'm actually posting on this thread. :\

DMH

First Post
Avarice said:
Interesting. I've been looking for new and disturbing ways to arm the fey hosts of my campaign world, (something to really press home their alien nature), and living bio-weapons would certainly fit the bill. Perhaps the fey scour the countryside, hunting for suitable hosts to use as magic item incubators? All sorts of unpleasant adventuring opportunities could arise from that...

If you are looking for rules for living magical items, Goodman's Complete Guide to Treants has some. Even though there is no mention of the treants using it on themselves, I don't see any reason not to...

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Avarice said:
I think my game's been getting a little too predictable lately, to be honest. The players may be starting to doubt my lack of sanity. Can't have that, can we? :D

No, that would be in appropriate. First, they think their DM is sane, then they think they're getting out of it all alive. You always have to put the fear of DM into your players.

DMH

First Post
Avarice said:
Perhaps the fey scour the countryside, hunting for suitable hosts to use as magic item incubators? All sorts of unpleasant adventuring opportunities could arise from that...

I have been thinking about this and have come up with a few varients:

1) Living parts of creatures that act like typical magical items- arms and hands that are wands, spinal cords and spines as rods or staves (none of that staffs crap), hollowed feet and calves for boots, etc. They are alive and kept so magically.

2) You have whole creatures that act like typical magical items. Cats that are wands, dogs that cast dig, hawks with vorpal claws, etc. This is how Goodman's rules work.

3) Altered animals that act like atypical magical items. Yuuzhan Vong items from Star Wars, the New Jedi Order novels work very well here. An amphistaff is a viper that is either a +2 whip or a +2 long sword with a poison attack depending on the needs of the wielder. The grafts in the FF and LoM also fit in this varient.

Bront

The man with the probe
DMH said:
2) You have whole creatures that act like typical magical items. Cats that are wands, dogs that cast dig, hawks with vorpal claws, etc. This is how Goodman's rules work.
I can hear it now. "Honey, did you milk the cow of cure light wounds yet?"

Animals that can cast magic could be interesting though. Using magical animal parts is a bit more disturbing.

babomb

First Post
KaeYoss said:
I would never use your described method for magic item creation. For one thing, the players would flatly refuse to use potions any more.

Ew. Touché.

domino said:
Polymorphing the pregnant person into, say a storm giant would make it a LOT easier to birth a suit of armor.

Heck, it would probably be required.

I was thinking more like it would be magically reduced and then enlarge after coming out. The egg-laying thing works too.

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
The strange thing is that just before I started reading this thread I had this idea... I was thinking that one of the barbarian-type cultures in my campaign world would have a tradition that every child has a weapon forged for them at birth and that the afterbirth is used in the forging process.
In what way? Hell, I don't know. But it sounds like powerful juju to me! And after reading this thread, my idea doesn't seem so strange.

This is what happens when magic, and stem cell research collide in a pseudo-medieval culture. :confused:
Hehe.

Bront

The man with the probe
Bran Blackbyrd said:
The strange thing is that just before I started reading this thread I had this idea... I was thinking that one of the barbarian-type cultures in my campaign world would have a tradition that every child has a weapon forged for them at birth and that the afterbirth is used in the forging process.
In what way? Hell, I don't know. But it sounds like powerful juju to me! And after reading this thread, my idea doesn't seem so strange.

This is what happens when magic, and stem cell research collide in a pseudo-medieval culture. :confused:
Hehe.

Could be fun for a psionic weapon of some kind, or at least intelegent weapons.

Perhaps each warrior or true warrior has a guardian spirit that is infused into the weapon when forged with this process. For flavor, doesn't need to have any powers nessessarily, but a guiding spirit (Or perhaps nagging ancester) that talks to the character (Easy way to drop PCs hints and/or heckle them).

DMH

First Post
Bran Blackbyrd said:

Mechanical Dream has something like this. One of the races use their afterbirth to make armor that can be "enchanted" with all kinds of options.

Remove ads