It's the 100th Pathfinder Adventure Path Volume!

Paizo has just released its 100th adventure path episode, in the form of A Song of Silver (the fourth adventure in the Hell's Rebel's adventure path). Erik Mona said "When we first launched the Pathfinder Adventure Path in 2007, I was so concerned about its longevity that I made Paizo’s owner Lisa Stevens promise that, no matter what, we would release at least the first six volumes. One hundred volumes later, we’re on our seventeenth campaign, with no end in sight. Here’s to 100 more volumes!" Paizo's adventure support for the Pathfinder RPG has been a central aspect of the company's production for over 8 years, and has covered a wide range of themes from swashbuckling pirates to hex-crawl exploration and city building to horror, sci-fi, and more. This particular adventure path is described as "an urban- and political-themed campaign that focuses on a rebellion against one of the Pathfinder Campaign Setting’s most infamous nations—devil-haunted Cheliax."

Paizo has just released its 100th adventure path episode, in the form of A Song of Silver (the fourth adventure in the Hell's Rebel's adventure path). Erik Mona said "When we first launched the Pathfinder Adventure Path in 2007, I was so concerned about its longevity that I made Paizo’s owner Lisa Stevens promise that, no matter what, we would release at least the first six volumes. One hundred volumes later, we’re on our seventeenth campaign, with no end in sight. Here’s to 100 more volumes!" Paizo's adventure support for the Pathfinder RPG has been a central aspect of the company's production for over 8 years, and has covered a wide range of themes from swashbuckling pirates to hex-crawl exploration and city building to horror, sci-fi, and more. This particular adventure path is described as "an urban- and political-themed campaign that focuses on a rebellion against one of the Pathfinder Campaign Setting’s most infamous nations—devil-haunted Cheliax."

668d674c-729a-465e-bdce-f9d9ad5cf97b.jpg

Of course, adventure paths aren't the only adventures that Paizo produces for the game. There are also over 60 Pathfinder Modules (short, challenging adventures designed to cover 2–4 game sessions), and over 200 Pathfinder Society Scenarios (short, 4-hour adventures designed for Organised Play). Paizo has an adventure finder to help you locate suitable adventures. Including third-party adventures, the game has over 650 adventures available to it. Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend the ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution AP!

It's interesting to compare Pathfinder's achievements over the last 9 years or so with older version of D&D. The king of content still appears to be D&D 2nd Edition, but Paizo is closing in. Looking at Echohawk's truly epic Collector's Guide for 2E right here on EN World (see here for all of his collector's guides), I think Paizo might have the edge on adventures. That said, Dungeon Magazine likely skews that massively in favour of TSR again. But the main point is that Pathfinder is a phenomenally well-supported game, both in terms of official and third-party support.

So which are the best Pathfinder adventure paths? Sticking to Paizo's offerings only, there's a great ranking in EN World's comments/ratings system. Of those with at least 10 ratings, Rise of the Runelords (2007) is the highest rated AP at 85%. Age of Worms (technically for D&D 3.5 in 2005) and Savage Tide (D&D 3.5 in 2006) are next, and both featured in Dungeon Magazine back when Paizo was publishing it for WotC. The lowest rated AP with 10 or more ratings is Carrion Crown (2011) at 64.5%.

RankAdventure PathYearRating
1Rise of the Runelords*200785%
2Age of Worms*200583.5%
3Savage Tide*200682.5%
4Curse of the Crimson Throne200882%
5Shackled City*200579%
6Kingmaker201170.5%
7Carrion Crown201164.5%
*Published by Paizo for D&D 3.5

That list is only APs with 10 or more ratings, of course. There are 20 adventure paths from Paizo in the system, although four of them were for D&D 3.5 or were published in Dungeon Magazine. Nevertheless it's a heck of an achievement!

Some of them don't appear quite as popular. Although they need more ratings to be certified, Mummy's Mask, Second Darkness, and Serpent's Skull seem to be the least well-liked of the official APs. The recent Iron Gods, on the other hand, looks like it's on track to be the most popular yet, as it's currently trending at an incredible 90%. Check out the full list here, and be sure to rate the ones you've played or ran!

I have to eat humble pie on this one.

When Paizo announced Pathfinder in the wake of the Dungeon/Dragon magazine licences being pulled from them I was ver pessimistic that this model would be sustainable long-term for Paizo. I just didn't see how that many people would basically pay double the price for their subscription (as Pathfinder was basically twice the price of Dungeon magazine).

On top of that, I doubted that people would be willing to continue to subscribe when they were getting 2 complete AP's a year as most gaming groups would take at least a year to get through a single AP, let alone two. So I thought that a lot of people would unsubscribe once they got to a point where they had more adventures than they could play (which is what I ended up doing).

I think I underestimated just how loyal some Paizo fans are and also how many people get the APs just to read, rather than to run.

So my hats off to Paizo (Yes, hats. I'm taking off more than one). Job well done! :)

carmachu

Explorer
Mmmmm, no they dont really make modules anymore. Their more like mini AP's the adventures. They use to, make adventures- for 8th level, 1st level, 3rd, 12th.....etc..... But now they make them more like mini AP's that go from 1st to 7th or whatnot. Module line is dead. They might call them modules, but anything but nowadays.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Mmmmm, no they dont really make modules anymore. Their more like mini AP's the adventures. They use to, make adventures- for 8th level, 1st level, 3rd, 12th.....etc..... But now they make them more like mini AP's that go from 1st to 7th or whatnot. Module line is dead. They might call them modules, but anything but nowadays.

LOL.

Pathfinder Module: Wardens of the Reborn Forge: 12-15 (3 levels)
Pathfinder Module: Tears at Bitter Manor: 5-8 (3 levels)
Pathfinder Module: Plunder and Peril: 4, 5, and 6 (three adventures, all for a single level)
Pathfinder Module: Daughters of Fury: 3-6 (3 levels)
Pathfinder Module: Feast of Dust: 11-14 (3 levels)
Pathfinder Module: The House on Hook Street: 6-9 (3 levels)
Pathfinder Module: Down the Blighted Path: 5-7 (2 levels)

Definitely "anything but" modules there!

carmachu

Explorer
LOL.

Pathfinder Module: Wardens of the Reborn Forge: 12-15 (3 levels)
Pathfinder Module: Tears at Bitter Manor: 5-8 (3 levels)
Pathfinder Module: Plunder and Peril: 4, 5, and 6 (three adventures, all for a single level)
Pathfinder Module: Daughters of Fury: 3-6 (3 levels)
Pathfinder Module: Feast of Dust: 11-14 (3 levels)
Pathfinder Module: The House on Hook Street: 6-9 (3 levels)
Pathfinder Module: Down the Blighted Path: 5-7 (2 levels)

Definitely "anything but" modules there!

Thanks for making my point. Now compare them to say Mask of the livng God for 3rd level characters. Or U2 The Hangman's Noose for first level characters. Or U8 Gallery of Evil for 8th level characters. Easily inserted adventures that drop and play(U1 and U2 are easily instered into my urban game for example).

Being an ex-charter subscriber, I was more then pissed at the change. Nothing like what was before which were infinately better adventure line. Not looking for multi-level min AP's there.

Carmachu I hear you... my complaint has always been slightly different than yours though: I wish APs would be shorter. However I now understand that the majority of subscribers want 6-part APs, and that they don't want any change to that format.

Therefore, the alternative for home campaigns is to have these mini APs to help a GM cruise for a few worry-free levels, before having to prep some transition/custom stuff again. I now run a home campaign and I have more interest in an adventure that spans 2, 3 or 4 levels than one that say, spans only one or half a level.

I have heard great things about the deluxe module format. So I'm getting House of Hook Street to test the waters. I'll let you know how it goes.

Morrus, do we have a "modules rating page" similar to the one you have for APs?

Remove ads

Remove ads