It's the 100th Pathfinder Adventure Path Volume!

Paizo has just released its 100th adventure path episode, in the form of A Song of Silver (the fourth adventure in the Hell's Rebel's adventure path). Erik Mona said "When we first launched the Pathfinder Adventure Path in 2007, I was so concerned about its longevity that I made Paizo’s owner Lisa Stevens promise that, no matter what, we would release at least the first six volumes. One hundred volumes later, we’re on our seventeenth campaign, with no end in sight. Here’s to 100 more volumes!" Paizo's adventure support for the Pathfinder RPG has been a central aspect of the company's production for over 8 years, and has covered a wide range of themes from swashbuckling pirates to hex-crawl exploration and city building to horror, sci-fi, and more. This particular adventure path is described as "an urban- and political-themed campaign that focuses on a rebellion against one of the Pathfinder Campaign Setting’s most infamous nations—devil-haunted Cheliax."

Paizo has just released its 100th adventure path episode, in the form of A Song of Silver (the fourth adventure in the Hell's Rebel's adventure path). Erik Mona said "When we first launched the Pathfinder Adventure Path in 2007, I was so concerned about its longevity that I made Paizo’s owner Lisa Stevens promise that, no matter what, we would release at least the first six volumes. One hundred volumes later, we’re on our seventeenth campaign, with no end in sight. Here’s to 100 more volumes!" Paizo's adventure support for the Pathfinder RPG has been a central aspect of the company's production for over 8 years, and has covered a wide range of themes from swashbuckling pirates to hex-crawl exploration and city building to horror, sci-fi, and more. This particular adventure path is described as "an urban- and political-themed campaign that focuses on a rebellion against one of the Pathfinder Campaign Setting’s most infamous nations—devil-haunted Cheliax."

668d674c-729a-465e-bdce-f9d9ad5cf97b.jpg

Of course, adventure paths aren't the only adventures that Paizo produces for the game. There are also over 60 Pathfinder Modules (short, challenging adventures designed to cover 2–4 game sessions), and over 200 Pathfinder Society Scenarios (short, 4-hour adventures designed for Organised Play). Paizo has an adventure finder to help you locate suitable adventures. Including third-party adventures, the game has over 650 adventures available to it. Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend the ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution AP!

It's interesting to compare Pathfinder's achievements over the last 9 years or so with older version of D&D. The king of content still appears to be D&D 2nd Edition, but Paizo is closing in. Looking at Echohawk's truly epic Collector's Guide for 2E right here on EN World (see here for all of his collector's guides), I think Paizo might have the edge on adventures. That said, Dungeon Magazine likely skews that massively in favour of TSR again. But the main point is that Pathfinder is a phenomenally well-supported game, both in terms of official and third-party support.

So which are the best Pathfinder adventure paths? Sticking to Paizo's offerings only, there's a great ranking in EN World's comments/ratings system. Of those with at least 10 ratings, Rise of the Runelords (2007) is the highest rated AP at 85%. Age of Worms (technically for D&D 3.5 in 2005) and Savage Tide (D&D 3.5 in 2006) are next, and both featured in Dungeon Magazine back when Paizo was publishing it for WotC. The lowest rated AP with 10 or more ratings is Carrion Crown (2011) at 64.5%.

RankAdventure PathYearRating
1Rise of the Runelords*200785%
2Age of Worms*200583.5%
3Savage Tide*200682.5%
4Curse of the Crimson Throne200882%
5Shackled City*200579%
6Kingmaker201170.5%
7Carrion Crown201164.5%
*Published by Paizo for D&D 3.5

That list is only APs with 10 or more ratings, of course. There are 20 adventure paths from Paizo in the system, although four of them were for D&D 3.5 or were published in Dungeon Magazine. Nevertheless it's a heck of an achievement!

Some of them don't appear quite as popular. Although they need more ratings to be certified, Mummy's Mask, Second Darkness, and Serpent's Skull seem to be the least well-liked of the official APs. The recent Iron Gods, on the other hand, looks like it's on track to be the most popular yet, as it's currently trending at an incredible 90%. Check out the full list here, and be sure to rate the ones you've played or ran!

ExoKnight

Explorer
Gratz Paizo! The production and design quality on these adventures are top notch. They are gorgeous books! Looking forward to another 100.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Congratulations, Paizo.

Much as I love to complain, I think you've done well by gamers, and gosh if I still don't get that old dungeon mag feel when I open a new AP.

Starfox

Hero
The mini-campaigns are pretty sweet, I adore The Dragon's Demand. But they're locked to a certain progression. If they're written for fast progression, you're pretty much stuck with fast progression. The same is true for adventure paths, but that format is easier to expand with "filler" adventures.

About APs being too long; yes, they often are. But the problem is not word count or play time, it is level. It seems to be much, much harder to write a good adventure for double-digit levels. Parts 4-5 of moth adventure paths are a bit of a drag. I'd love to see an adventure path written for slow xp progression, spanning level 1-9.

Remove ads

Remove ads