• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's Time To Pre-Order Your Copy Of Into The Borderlands

Goodman Games announced some months ago that it would be producing 5th Edition updates of classic D&D adventures, and the first is now ready for pre-order: Into the Borderlands, a 384-page hardcover reprinting two classic adventures and also updating them to D&D 5E. The book slated for a May release.

Goodman Games announced some months ago that it would be producing 5th Edition updates of classic D&D adventures, and the first is now ready for pre-order: Into the Borderlands, a 384-page hardcover reprinting two classic adventures and also updating them to D&D 5E. The book slated for a May release.

Original-Adventures-Reincarnated-B1-B2.png

Original Adventures Reincarnated: Into the Borderlands is now available for pre-order! This 384-page hardcover reprints the classic Dungeons and Dragons modules B1: In Search of the Unknown and B2: The Keep on the Borderlands, in both their original format and updated for Fifth Edition Dungeons and Dragons. And there is even a full-color 16-page cover gallery insert!

The expected release date for Into the Borderlands is May, but we are hoping (cross your fingers!) to have some early-release copies available at Gary Con in March!

Inside this book you will find high-quality scans from multiple printings of the original first edition adventure modules, plus commentary by such gaming luminaries as Luke Gygax and Mike Mearls. Full fifth edition conversions of both adventures are included, as well as brand new additional adventure locations to further expand and develop the Borderlands. This is a fully playable mini-campaign to start off your new fifth edition adventures, with a distinct old-school vibe.

The originals were 16 pages each (edit - correction; B1 was 32 pages and B2 was 28 pages). This 284-page hardcover includes TWO reprinting of each of the two original modules plus the 5E conversions, which take up more space. The two reprinting include differences like different stat block formats, and different interior art. Goodman Games says "We don’t believe this is repeating the same thing, and these reprints are particularly interesting if you are a student of gaming history."

B1B2-TOC.jpg

The conversion to 5E is a "direct conversion", remaining consistent with the 1E originals; so there will be the same number of monsters in each location, and so on. "It’s up to the DM to mitigate this, or the PCs to use wise tactics (some described by Mr. Gygax himself, decades ago), or to use the age-old practice of “run away to fight another day.” The original B2 was itself not balanced in regard to encounters. There was nothing (aside from a few vague rumors) to prevent a party of 1st-level PCs from wandering into the upper caves, and facing down dozens of undead in one room (for example)."

[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

If you want to just have a conversion of the the original to 5E, Classic Modules Today is your best bet, along with the PDF of the original.

This is a deluxe collectors edition, if you want deluxe (lots of extra bits) and your a collector - it's great. That's me buy EDIT:by (Freudian Slip! :D ) the way. If you just want the convenience of a 5E conversion to run at your table, look no further than the guys above - I used their B4 The Lost City (Basic/Expert, Levels 1-3) — by Stan Shinn it was awesome and it's even Pay What Want

Every one is winning here, just point yourself to your desired product :)

Last edited by a moderator:

superbuggedout

First Post
Opinions are opinions but the negativity here is bizarre. Why are there two versions of each module? Because there were multiple published versions of each module. This is like a deluxe "Criterion Collection" retrospective of these classic adventures, with 5e conversions and tons of historical info and other extras for people who care about such things. Maybe Goodman Games' style and approach isn't for everyone. But pretty much everything they create is a labor of love. Are people not familiar with the DCC RPG product line and how unique and cool and full of delightful old-school artwork it all is? Also take into consideration when looking at price point that they actually make properly bound books that aren't slapped together with glue and don't fall apart. End of rant.

Spankypants

Villager
So, I can give Goodman Games my money today, and in 3-1/2 months they'll ship.
No freebies? No pre-order bonus content? No appreciation for my 100-day interest-free loan?

R

RevTurkey

So, I can give Goodman Games my money today, and in 3-1/2 months they'll ship.
No freebies? No pre-order bonus content? No appreciation for my 100-day interest-free loan?

Yes if you want...the book might sell out, so a pre-order might be a way of making sure you can get it. Some people just like to order things in advance...it’s a choice isn’t it? It is also a way of supporting a company if you want to. This is still a niche hobby really, especially when you look towards the finances of small publishers like Goodman Games. They are under no obligation to offer any extras and you are not forced to buy this to continue enjoying D&D etc..

I sound like a Goodman fanboy don’t I?. I’m not especially. I do like their output and my dealings with them have been excellent and I wish them well. Their DCC line is brilliant in my opinion.

I think it is sad that they are trying to create products we might enjoy and they get a bashing on this forum for their troubles. I think it is really depressing to be honest.

:(

Yup it's in the FAQ.
There's an FAQ?
o_O
It's not in the article or the linked pre-order page.

Opinions are opinions but the negativity here is bizarre. Why are there two versions of each module? Because there were multiple published versions of each module. This is like a deluxe "Criterion Collection" retrospective of these classic adventures, with 5e conversions and tons of historical info and other extras for people who care about such things. Maybe Goodman Games' style and approach isn't for everyone. But pretty much everything they create is a labor of love. Are people not familiar with the DCC RPG product line and how unique and cool and full of delightful old-school artwork it all is? Also take into consideration when looking at price point that they actually make properly bound books that aren't slapped together with glue and don't fall apart. End of rant.
The size catches the eye because given it's doing a "direct conversion" it's curious how the other 248 pages are filled. Even if they reprint again, that's 252 uncertain pages. They mention that monster statblocks take up more space in 5e, so I'm left wondering if they're including statblocks for every single monster...

The two versions is slightly odd.
First, how different are the originals? This page doesn't list many changes: https://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modpages/b1.html
There's a few references to art, but that could have been covered by a 2-3 page "art gallery". That's adding 68 pages for little gain.

Looking through the rest, there's 14 pages of advice for the DM. The many extra pages of additional encounters (16 for Dungeons of Quasqueton and 18 for the Borderlands). And 26 new pages of monsters.
Everything in the book just seems that little bit bloated. Which just makes me feel they didn't respect my time or wallet.

The conversion is also frustrating. As the article quotes:
"It’s up to the DM to mitigate this, or the PCs to use wise tactics (some described by Mr. Gygax himself, decades ago), or to use the age-old practice of “run away to fight another day.” The original B2 was itself not balanced in regard to encounters. There was nothing (aside from a few vague rumors) to prevent a party of 1st-level PCs from wandering into the upper caves, and facing down dozens of undead in one room (for example)."

Okay, yeah, the original wasn't balanced in terms of encounters. Because that concept didn't *really* exist yet. It does not. That's the whole point of doing a conversion. It takes more than just using 5th Edition monster math to make a 5th Edition adventure.

There are 5e monsters that are harder than they were in 1e and ones that are easier. The length of the encounter day and potency of adventurers has changed. To say nothing of the pace of levelling. The module needs to reflect that and do its best to update monsters and challenges to reflect the new power levels. (Plus stuff like personality traits, bonds, and flaws, which the NPCs in the Keep need.)
Plus there is the option of variant monsters now. Why wouldn't there be a variant kobold chief? And orc chieftan? (Rather than just giving an orc better AC, damage, hp, etc).

Also, players seldom run away. That's not a thing. They may fall back after an encounter, rest, and return. But running away never works because fleeing only happens when you're losing a fight, which generally happens when one or more party members is down. It's super rare to flee and leave a PC to death when you could instead try for the win and save their lives. Invoking running away as an "age of practice" displays limited awareness of the game.

Spankypants

Villager
I think it is sad that they are trying to create products we might enjoy and they get a bashing on this forum for their troubles. I think it is really depressing to be honest.
:(

I don't think Goodman tried very hard here, at all.
This package targets our nostalgia for these ultra-classics. I'm sure many of us have fond memories of playing and/or DM'ing these, and we're considering this purchase from the heart. Goodman repackaged TSR content, with an additional 5E conversion - more material made readily available by fans since 5E was released.

I like Goodman's DCC line of products, and I support them. But there's very little in this product that's original, and that's what's depressing to me.

R

RevTurkey

I said it before...I just cannot fathom the negativity about this product. I’m out of this discussion...enjoy it, don’t enjoy it...whatever...I don’t really care :)

Remove ads

Remove ads