• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I've finished reading Ptolus!

Eosin the Red

First Post
I have read it a few times barring the actual spire stuff. Overall well written but amazingly it seems a little thin to me. I took the PDF players guide expanded on the groups section by about 14 pages --- adding a whole host of criminal organizations. In this kind of game, I want the flavor of Gangs of New York with ethnic rivalries, territorial disputes, specialty crimes (other than murder for hire), and rival sects/sets going at it willy nilly. Krevis and Balacazar are still some of the big boys but now they don't control everything nor are their organizations omnipresent.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I read the book and checked out most of the CD, even reading through the first campaign journal with the two adventuring parties. I skipped the other campaign journals, however. I am enjoying Ptolus, although the power level of all the inhabitants, the acceptance of demons and undead living in the city, and the fact that they have this evil spire next to a major population center all require a suspension of belief. On the other hand, I appreciate and like what Monty was trying to do, and am very, very happy with my purchase. I am using it to run a more tongue-in-cheek game here on ENWorld, however.

Boss

First Post
I purchased the pdf the day it came out @ RPGNow. Since then I have been printing one chapter at a time and taking my time reading through it. I doubt I will ever run a campaign form it, but I am pretty sure that some of the ideas will find their way into the campaign world I am designing (like firearms, chaos pits, and ratmen).

Atavar

First Post
I'd like to chime in as being one of those who has read Ptolus from cover to cover. It look a long time...I had a long break during the city district section...but I eventually made it through.

It's funny, I used to read every RPG book I bought cover-to-cover, but I don't anymore. I usually get almost all non-FR WotC books, plus a few from other publishers. Then something happened that disracted me.... What was that again? Oh, yeah! The arrival of my daughter into the world :)

I plan to get her into the hobby in a few years, let her read everything cover-to-cover, and then she'll be able to tell me the important stuff from all of those books. Quite a time-saving idea, I think....

Later,

Atavar

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
By the way, I'd suggest reading Whizbang's Ptolus Longcoat adventure. I love the set-up, his way of showing off Ptolus' dockside, his players, and he's a good PbP DM from what I've seen.

I'm shocking when it comes to reading through the D&D books that I buy. I always seem to get distracted by the latest shiny....oh look a dog with a puffy tail. Here Puff, here Puff! :heh: :eek: :D

I have only read bits and pieces of Ptolus so far, jumping around as different references catch my attention. I don't plan to run a campaign in it any time soon so I don't have to hurry too much. Maybe I'll have finished it by the time 5E rolls around!

Olaf the Stout

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Deuce Traveler said:
By the way, I'd suggest reading Whizbang's Ptolus Longcoat adventure. I love the set-up, his way of showing off Ptolus' dockside, his players, and he's a good PbP DM from what I've seen.
Thank you. :)

The action is about to start in earnest, so we'll see how it all shakes out.

Nebulous

Legend
Funny, for a lot of us who bought Ptolus for a wad of money, most aren't actually using it. Yet we all are glad we dished out the money and took the time to read it (although i still haven't finished it).

Remove ads