Jack Chick's Dark Dungeons Movie Trailer

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
JR Ralls, a few questions!
- Is this / are you guys on Twitter?
- To what degree are the characters and, dare I say, lines from the comic retained in the film?

As a side note, I am really excited about the theoretical hashtags #blackleafisdead #andwekilledher

Janx

Hero
Let's cut to the chase shall we.

In practical terms, Jack Chick hated D&D. he thought it was evil, satanic and led it's players to bad ends.

You guys are making a movie exactly like his comic as best as you can, in the spirit of that comic.

Therefore, what are the writer/director's position on D&D, given that they are giving Jack Chick's views a new voice.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Let's cut to the chase shall we.

In practical terms, Jack Chick hated D&D. he thought it was evil, satanic and led it's players to bad ends.

You guys are making a movie exactly like his comic as best as you can, in the spirit of that comic.

Therefore, what are the writer/director's position on D&D, given that they are giving Jack Chick's views a new voice.
Tone is also important, not just text.

Context is also important. In the trailer the "What can go wrong?" comment is rather well placed, don't you say? Deadpan humor seems to be the norm here.

Not a first degree kind of film.

L. Gabriel Gonda

First Post
The director's job is to execute the script, in this case an excellent screenplay written by JR Ralls. The writer, producers, and I were all in agreement that we'd be translating the comic as sincerely as possible, and letting the views presented therein stand on their own.

The film is not quite finished yet, but based on the rough cut, and some test screenings, I think we achieved our intent. It's up to the audience to interpret as they will.

I'm a professional. I would never let my views on D&D influence my dedication to my work.

Last edited:

Zander

Explorer
Please disregard my message asking if anyone had a mint condition of Jack Chick's Dark Dungeons comic for sale. :eek:

Last edited:

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
an all-girl gaming group? No way!

This was always my favorite part of the old Chick tract. Verisimilitude fail.

...With all respect to female gamers, of course. I'm sure this has happened somewhere, at some time, in the history of the game. I do know a few female D&D players. It's just that the emphasis in that sentence is world-crackingly heavy on the word few.

Remove ads